Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gypsy style blouse...

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
Hello ladies, I have another question for you. A friend of mine is going to an event and is dressing like a gypsy. She already has the skirt and other accessories, but would like a blouse that was personalized. She has a fabric already bought, but in so doing she has run her budget for the event out. I found a pattern from Simplicity that she says is perfect. What I need to know is, can I make this
gypsyblouse.jpg
free-handed, without a pattern. The design doesn't look that complicated. Is it doable?
Sarah

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Just the blouse? Definitley!

It's just a peasant blouse with extra-long sleeves that have a handkerchief hem and are elasticated throughout. Totally doable!

let me go find you a tutorial...

This is a fabulous tutorial that I have used before:
http://www.thingsofcloth.com/documents/Adult-size_Peasant_Blouse_Tutorial.pdf

you don't have to have a french curve to make it, either-- you can draft it by hand like I do. Just do your best to curve it correctly.

Also, you want to make the sleeves about twice as long as the wearer's arm, then before you seam up the sleeve, space elastic evenly to divide the sleeve into thirds-- make the elastic exactly the measurement of the wearers arm, and stretch it as you sew so that the fabric gathers when the elastic relaxes. You'll want to cut the sleeve's hem to an extreme point on the side that's meant to be seamed, to mimic the hem in the image.

That's just how I would do it, though. I'm sure others would do it differently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic