Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hacking Jackets

Joan

New in Town
scotrace said:
The label is dated 1952.
That's a really beautiful jacket, Scotrace. I love the fabric.

Where do you find the date? My husband has a similar jacket (only two buttons, though), and I'm now realizing it might be cooler than I thought. :)

Ada Veen

Practically Family
When I was a child and I used to ride I had the most beautifully fitted hacking jacket... I wonder where it went *sigh*

Joan

New in Town
Baron Kurtz said:
It has a tailor's label inside the inner pocket, 'pon which is written the date and name of customer.
Aha. Well, you gentlemen are way out of my league. This one says "Amalgamated Garment Workers of Canada" and no date. :eek:

I'll just sit here quietly and read and learn, then. Thank you, Baron. :)

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
nobodyspecial said:
I've not heard the term 'hacking jacket' before. What constitutes a hacking jacket?

A hacking Jacket is the ancestor of the modern sport coat. It has either three or four buttons, shortish lapels usually sometimes rolling into the top button, it is single vented, has diagonally positioned hip pockets and may or may not have a so-called ticket pocket. The coat's body is based upon the standard sack coat as per the modern business suit's coat or sport coat in general though, the details really delineate it from either the sports coat or business suit's coat. The buttons are also usually spaced rather closely and set rather high so that even if the bottom button were fastened, it would not come too much below the natural waist while sitting so as to be comfortable and warm during riding in any weather. It can be made of various woolens as well as heavy cottons (not denim I should say), perhaps a bedford cord or something like that and, most traditionally, a lovely check of some sort. I have a wonderful one which I acquired recently and I posted a picture of myself wearing it on a new thread at http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=40822 By the by, Hacking Jackets do indeed count as Riding Apparel. Cheerio and Cheers!

benstephens

Practically Family
Here is one of my vintage hacking jackets. It is a ginger harris tweed. You will notice the hacking jacket is fairly long which is the traditional style to have more of a skirt, as a lot of the catologues put it.

To quantify this, it was fora photo shoot, although I have been having the odd riding lesson so I can wear my vintage riding kit.

img049.jpg

Kindest Regards

Ben

benstephens

Practically Family
Here are a couple more jackets. I have not managed to get a photo of me wearing them yet as I do not get a huge amount of chance to wear my riding gear.

This one is a late 1930s Horne Brothers jacket.

DSC00786.jpg

This one is a a 1939 dated jacket from REGO Clothiers. It has an interesting feature in that the top pocket has a flap.

DSC00789.jpg

DSC00790.jpg

Again, you will notice the length of the jacket skirt.

Kindest Regards

Ben

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn