Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair Conditioners?

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Vitapointe

I noticed in the chemist this morning that they are still making Vitapointe.
Does anyone use this and does it actually work? I looked it up online and it says it is a conditioner but you don't need to wash out (is that right?) - and you are suppose to use it on dry hair! I am sure I read somewhere that Marilyn Monroe was a fan!

fleur

One of the Regulars
My mum uses it from time to time and loves it.

You are right in thinking that you leave it in.

I do use VO5 hotoil from time to time but have to be wary of over conditioning my hair as it is so fine and goes limp :(

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
I used to use something very similar by VO5. It was called conditioning hairdressing and sold in a tube (not the same as the hot oil treatments, they are great too!). You squeeze it out like toothpaste, it was quite oily and only a small amount was to be used, but it worked great! If you have flyaway hair rubbing a little bit in your hands and then running through your hair will tame them, to break down a tight set rub a little in and recomb/brush, apply on ends of dry hair.

Give it a try, you'll like it:)

GOK

One Too Many
Have to admit that I still have some left over from before I went vegan, so I do still use it. You really do only need a tiny amount and it works brilliantly.

My favourite product though, is Pjur. It's perfect for finishing my hair when I straighten it. And it's vegan too, so no guilt! :D

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've heard of vitapointe before, but have never used it.
I do, however, use a leave in conditioner called Potion 9 by Sebastian. It really adds shine and helps smooth out my hair when I wear it straight. I think you're supposed to use it while your hair is wet, but sometimes, especially after I use a flat steam iron, I'll rub some into my hair when it's dry. It's not sticky at all, adds a nice shine, and I think it's really helping my ends. They are less split and unruly. I always put it in my hair when wet before adding any setting lotion or other curling cream. I think this adds a layer of protection and also might give my curls a bit more control. Whether I wear my hair curly or straight, the Potion 9 really seems to give a little protection to my ends and makes my hair smoother, shinier and softer.
Another product that I really like is Ego Boost by Bed Head Tigi. If I am going to wear my hair straight, especially if I'm gonna use the steam flat iron, I put this in my hair. It adds shine and makes my hair much more manageable. It especially controls any frizz, especially in the humid months when I rely on the flat iron to keep my unruly, half curly head of hair straight. I put it in before I dry my hair. Then I put a layer on before I iron it. Then I use a little here or there for touch ups, especially on the hairs on the top of my head. You see, I'm on a medicine that makes my hair fall out more than it should. But, i have a lot of new hair growth. So, I have all of this short little hairs that stick straight up on the top of my head. To top it all of, my hairdresser has informed me that all the new hair growth I have is curly. I'd be glad to have curls in my head, but now half my hair is curly and half is straight! argh, it's really hard to control the shorter hairs, so I usually matte them down with ego boost, and this holds them in place all day.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
My hair dresser gave me a sample sachet of potion 9 by sebastian and you are right Daisy, it is lovely! Very expensive though. I am having my hair coloured tomorrow and am tempted to buy myself a full size tube (seeing as you rate it so high!)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
GOK said:
Daisy - a steam flat iron? :eek: Please tell me this is not the same as the the thing you'd iron your clothes with :eusa_doh:
Golly No!!! It's a flat iron for the hair that has an area in it to put a small amount of water. When it heats up it releases steam as you iron your hair. It is quite amazing. Makes my hair so straight and soft, and really shiny. It also has removable plates, one flat, and one waved. I've used the wave one to create a kind of fingerwave, since I really haven't yet figured out how to do one on my own. It's a really great device. I can even use it on my hair when it's damp, and it not only smoothes and straightens, but also dries it.

~landgirl~ said:
My hair dresser gave me a sample sachet of potion 9 by sebastian and you are right Daisy, it is lovely! Very expensive though. I am having my hair coloured tomorrow and am tempted to buy myself a full size tube (seeing as you rate it so high!)
I'd get a tube. It's well worth it. And, you really don't need to use a lot of it in one application, so the big tube will last you a really long time. I just bought a new tube after finally finishing the one I bought nine months ago.

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
Hi Girls ~

I was curious as to your methods of conditioning your hair.
All of the hair setting & sprays & gels can sure put the works on the hair...
and lately my hair is losing some of that luster that I like. I was looking for a good conditioner or maybe even an old school homemade method.

Any suggestions?

thx xoxo

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Olive oil for 45 minutes on damp hair, shampoo out with a nice light one, some may need to shampoo twice so the light/gentle is important, and your hair will be smooth and shiny.
I also use coconut oil in the same fashion, but I'll leave it on for the day, so you may want to save it for a day off.

Generally speaking I use Dove Therapy as my day to day basics, and I use the Deep conditioner once a week.

It is also great to give yourself a scalp massage as it increases circulation, thus stimulating your hair's oils, which help to protect and soften the hair. An added bonus is if you can get your significant other to do this.;) :D

Hope it helps!

Kim_B

Practically Family
Not vintage by any means but I am IN LOVE with Aussie's line of conditioners, particularly the 3-Minute Miracle DEEEEEP and the Moist Conditioner. I color my hair and it leaves it very dry as you can imagine. Both of these products work like a dream! I also use John Frieda's Radiant Red shampoo and conditioner, but I alternate every other day with the Aussie stuff.

crwritt

One Too Many
jazzzbaby said:
Hi Girls ~

I was curious as to your methods of conditioning your hair.
All of the hair setting & sprays & gels can sure put the works on the hair...
and lately my hair is losing some of that luster that I like. I was looking for a good conditioner or maybe even an old school homemade method.

Any suggestions?

thx xoxo

I always keep a big jar of Queen Helene's Cholesterol. I generously coat my hair and scalp with it an hour before rinsing it out. It is very inexpensive, and works great for those times my scalp is flaking from a color job. They've been around since 1930, so i guess you could call them old school.
http://www.queenhelene.com/

pigeon toe

One Too Many
crwritt said:
I always keep a big jar of Queen Helene's Cholesterol. I generously coat my hair and scalp with it an hour before rinsing it out. It is very inexpensive, and works great for those times my scalp is flaking from a color job. They've been around since 1930, so i guess you could call them old school.
http://www.queenhelene.com/

I LOVE Cholesterol! I don't leave it in for an hour, but I use it at least 1-2x a week and it does a great job. It's super rich & thick and doesn't leave my hair greasy at all.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
I like the L'oreal ones in the pink bottles. I get it from a discount store, I don't know how much it normally runs, and they make stuff for preserving color. As of Friday I'm all color-treated and stuff, so I guess splurging on UV-protect hair stuff will save $$ in the long run.

Also, I totally can't deal with the cuteness of Canada Doll's avatar.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
My absolute favorite is Sebastian's product line; they work great and the smell is awesome.
I also like L'oreal, I get mine at Sally Beauty Supply, they have a wide variety of conditioners but I usually get the one in the yellowish bottle (for color treated hair)
For deep conditioning treatment, I too use cholesterol, and I also love 'bone marrow'...they come in packets for one time use and the results are amazing!
A product that I don't recommend is ion...the shampoo is ok, but I bought the conditioner in the purple bottle, the smell is really good, but it leaves my hair feeling like it has a thick residue on it...this I hate!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Burt's Bees makes an avocado pre-treatment that works well when my hair is extra dry. You can use it as a finishing cream as well if you apply it very sparingly.

Also, I have found that my hair behaves much better and is less dry when I use a sulfate-free shampoo.

The cholesterol treatment works great as well, especially when used with a hooded hair dryer.

Mahinatakataka

New in Town
Hair Shampoos and Conditioners

Burt's Bees are good products.

What color hair do you have, Jazzzbaby? Do you want repair split ends, add or maintain colouring or just give it a healthier look and feel and more body?

I use the Artec line by L'Oreal for deep brown, almost black hair. Right now I'm using Artec's "clarifying and chelating" shampoo. People actually stop and compliment me on how much body my hair has and how healty it looks. I actually have baby fine hair, so that's quite a compliment :)

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Kim_B said:
Not vintage by any means but I am IN LOVE with Aussie's line of conditioners, particularly the 3-Minute Miracle DEEEEEP and the Moist Conditioner. I color my hair and it leaves it very dry as you can imagine. Both of these products work like a dream! I also use John Frieda's Radiant Red shampoo and conditioner, but I alternate every other day with the Aussie stuff.

I love Aussie 3 minute miracle conditioning treatment too and thoroughly recommend it! I usually end up using it quite regularly instead of just once a week. I've heard Kerastase products are good but they are a bit pricey so I haven't tried them yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters