Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair Fascinators

clubwitsend

Practically Family
Smuterella said:
Are fascinators vintage correct though? What periods? Any pictures?

I tend to avoid them as they seem a bit Burlesque 101 to me. But I might e being a massive snob. :D

I wear fascinators a lot and I know what you mean. I think historically, I think of them more like cocktail hats. Constructed little cocktail hats and have feathers and such and are clipped on. But I do think that they're more widely known for their use in costume. Burlesque is certainly a place where they pop up a lot historically...but I think they can be done in a luxe and fantastic way...I think of them as very Ziegfeld Follies/amazing Busby Berkeley in feeling. I do think some modern interpretations can cheapen them, though. Like too much showgirl and not enough refinement for everyday. I think you can certainly find a lot of quality ones in the non-burlesque variety, though :)

I think you can also see the whole fascinator feeling in a lot of the smaller Victorian toppers. Many have great embellishments and read like as much as a fascinator as a hat.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Smuterella said:
Are fascinators vintage correct though? What periods? Any pictures?

I tend to avoid them as they seem a bit Burlesque 101 to me. But I might e being a massive snob. :D

I have never seen the term or the item as we know it back in the historical data... sometimes in costumes pictures you see stuff like it, but it isn't something a real person wore much.

I personally don't think they really work.

And more than anything, I hate the 1960s "Untouchables" fake 20s inspired headband with a feather. Yuck.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Here are some histories I found...

http://zh-hk.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=119702189615
It was in the late 17th century that women’s headwear began to emerge in its own right and not to be influenced by men’s fashions.

By the mid 1800’s Swiss and Italian straws, together with imitation straws made from paper, cardboard, grass and horsehair were available to women, along with the introduction of velvet and tulle. Lace was also introduced, mostly used as hair caps underneath large flamboyant hats decorated with feathers. As ladies in the 18th century started to dress their hair in elaborate high styles, so hats became hair pieces – or “fascinators” – small arrangements of feathers, beads, netting, ribbons and flowers.

These extravagant accessories adorning the head/hair is becoming the popular alternative to wearing hats to formal occasions. Not surprisingly, Fascinators evolved as an alternative to hats in the 18th Century when women began to style and decorate their hair with flowers, bows and feathers. The natural progression from hat to fascinator was evident along with the changing attitudes of women in society.

Now hair fascinators are an elegant alternative to a hat and are much favored by mothers of the bride and bridesmaids who'd rather not wear a tiara. Increasingly, modern brides are also going for a delicate, original fascinators instead of a veil or jewelled headpiece.

http://www.anuccia.co.uk/history_of_hats.html
This was a snip-it in the lower left hand corner, but the link to read more appears to be dead :(

It was in the late 17th century that women’s headwear began to emerge in its own right and not to be influenced by men’s fashions.

The word “milliner”, a maker of women’s hats; was first recorded in 1529 when the term referred to the products for which Milan and other northern Italian regions were well known, i.e. ribbons, gloves and straws.

The haberdashers who imported these highly popular straws were called Milaners from which the word was eventually derived. By the mid 1800’s Swiss and Italian straws, together with imitation straws made from paper, cardboard, grass and horsehair were available to women, along with the introduction of velvet and tulle.

Lace was also introduced, mostly used as hair caps underneath large flamboyant hats decorated with feathers. As ladies in the 18th century started to dress their hair in elaborate high styles, so hats became hair pieces – or “fascinators” – small arrangements of feathers, ribbons and flowers with which to adorn the hair...

And of course, wikipedia.

LD

Snookie

Practically Family
Miss 1929 said:
I have never seen the term or the item as we know it back in the historical data... sometimes in costumes pictures you see stuff like it, but it isn't something a real person wore much.

I personally don't think they really work.

And more than anything, I hate the 1960s "Untouchables" fake 20s inspired headband with a feather. Yuck.

If you read up a few posts, I posted the info I found about the recent evolution of the term fascinator.

Feather fascinators are most commonly worn to evening or formal occasions - they're not something that "real people" wear regularly now, either. Since dressing vintage is basically a fantasy activity to begin with, I have no problem with injecting a little extra glamour into the mix. Of course it's always important to balance between the tasteful and the gaudy, but with such a long and varied history of hair accoutrements, I don't think there's any reason to write off this whole genre.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Snookie said:
Of course it's always important to balance between the tasteful and the gaudy, but with such a long and varied history of hair accouterments, I don't think there's any reason to write off this whole genre.

Neither do I - I think it's rather fun. I've been making flowers for my hair, and been wearing bows and feathers for years, even in my punk/scenester days.

That being said, I hate the 60's Untouchables headbands too lol

clubwitsend

Practically Family
I agree with you both, C-Dot and Snookie!

I abhor the cheapy variety of items, but a little bit of extra glam and fantasy is always good! Even though I run a 1920s/30s event, I've never been a strict recreationist with the era...it takes the fun out of dressing to me! After all, in 2009, we have that much more to choose from to create our looks, and its fun to throw some glitz on top of what we already have going on and making it truly our own and unique! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace