Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hanna Flat Cap-Sewn vs Snap Bill Pics?

RockyNomad

Familiar Face
I'm looking at maybe getting a Hanna flat cap as I have heard they come down further in the back. My current flat cap just sits on top of my head and I would like more coverage in the cold weather. Anyone have pics of the sewn bill vs the snap bill. I understand the cut of each is different.

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
Hanna snap brim flat cap.
photo.jpg
photo2.jpg

Playdablues

New in Town
I know this is an old thread, but I was looking for similar info.

I just bought a Hanna Linen flat cap with the sewn bill (online). I knew I should not have, but I did. It is just like RockyNomad said. It sits on "top" of my head and is a much shallower cut. Correct me if I am wrong, but I tend to think that a snap brim might sit down "around" my head a bit better. I have a Levi's Strauss flat cap with the snap down brim and it is much better than the sewn Hanna brim. I have all 8 piece Hanna caps and they sit down "around" my head not on "top".

I'm debating trying the snap down Hanna brim unless someone can confirm their experiences, or just staying with the 8 piece.

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
Here's how my Hanna snap-brim flat cap fits, with the brim both snapped and unsnapped (for extra cold weather).
1.jpg
2.jpg

Reactions: RJR

ptjoe

Familiar Face
I recently purchased a patchwork 100% wool cap from Ireland-Mucros weavers.
I ordered the size small as their hat sizing guide recommended for a 56-57cm.
The hat's brim is sewn and the hat is very shallow, can only pull it down so far.
If I shake my head the cap falls off.
The cost of returning the cap to Ireland was costly, $22.00.
So I decided to sell it on ebay!
Anyway that's my experience.

Edward

Bartender
Most mainstream cap companies now make these caps to a post-1950s fit - narrower and shallower all around. I tend to avoid them in favour of paying a bit more with a company I know is making it to an older pattern. The Failsworth caps made for and sold by Aero are generally very good and a better pattern than you'll find on the 'non-vintage' sites selling other models by that brand. Most Hannas I've seen have been a very modern cut.

ptjoe

Familiar Face
Now I'm thinking about cutting the three stitches that attaches the hat to the brim, if that will give me a little more roominess?
Any ideas about that, I don't want to ruin the hat.
Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR