Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Happy marriage...

Silvan

New in Town
I had an interesting conversation with my wife today that made me think of you guys.

I gave her the news that I had bought a new hat, and I was braced for some kind of exasperated response. To my surprise, she shrugged it off completely as no big deal, and remarked, "You're the same way with hats and watches that I am with purses and shoes."

Yeah, I guess I am, come to think of it. It's kind of funny that after being together 20 years and married for 17, I never even really paid attention to her thing for purses and shoes until she mentioned it today. Come to think of it, she does have a lot of purses and shoes.

Then it hit me. She doesn't pay attention to my thing for watches and hats either. We're both completely ambivalent about and at peace with each other's impractical obsessions.

It's not too often something comes up out of the blue to make you step back and realize you're in a happy marriage. Life is good!

davidraphael

Practically Family
She didn't mind about the new hat because she has secretly bought an insanely expensive pair of shoes that she feels guilty about and has hidden away somewhere. At some point in the future she will wear them and when you say "I haven't seen those shoes before" she will reply "Oh, these old things; I've had them for years. You never pay attention..." And you will feel a bit guilty for not paying attention. :D

Only kidding. It's nice that life is good :)

job

One Too Many
My wife and I are the same way only I am a lot newer to hats than she is to shoes and purses. I have some catching up to do.

I had an interesting conversation with my wife today that made me think of you guys.

I gave her the news that I had bought a new hat, and I was braced for some kind of exasperated response. To my surprise, she shrugged it off completely as no big deal, and remarked, "You're the same way with hats and watches that I am with purses and shoes."

Yeah, I guess I am, come to think of it. It's kind of funny that after being together 20 years and married for 17, I never even really paid attention to her thing for purses and shoes until she mentioned it today. Come to think of it, she does have a lot of purses and shoes.

Then it hit me. She doesn't pay attention to my thing for watches and hats either. We're both completely ambivalent about and at peace with each other's impractical obsessions.

It's not too often something comes up out of the blue to make you step back and realize you're in a happy marriage. Life is good!

That's exactly how it works with my spouse. We have an "understanding".

Dan'l

Practically Family
I've heard my wife, perhaps with a touch of jealousy, tell other gals that I have at least twice as many outfits and shoes as she has, then she smiles and comments that I never complain when she comes home with clothes, shoes or accessories.

She, on the other hand, has many more hats than I have. I say that with love and a touch of jealousy ;)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I hope you bought her a big bunch of flowers and gave her a great big kiss and told you you love her? That's always a good policy when you experience thoughts like that.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I have been very lucky to have the Wife I do. She actually shops for me all the time, looking for hats, shoes, top coats, ties, etc. Sure she looks and buys things for herself as well, but she enjoys doing what she does. She will always look at some hat online and if it is an eBay listing, she will come right out and ask the person listing the hat (most of the time) if they are from the Fedora Lounge! To date, my Wife has purchased 17 hats for me. She knows the styles of hat I prefer and that is what she looks for. As far as shoes and ties she has purchased, perhaps 40 to 50 pairs of shoes and 20 or so ties, suits, top coats. The latest gem deal she got for me was some vintage braces off eBay, silk and really nice.

If you get enough hat box traffic going steadily, she'll not know what is coming or going that are purchases, sells, cleanings, repairs, alterations, etc.
It is all about making it seem a normal event to have a hat box delivered...
Get busy!!!!!

Allen

New in Town
Every time I show my girlfriend a new suit, or pair of shoes or cuff links, or a new hat, she just rolls her eyes and shakes her head. She owns one purse, and never carries it, but fortunately for me she doesn't seem to mind my purchases. She says she just doesn't want to know about them, or how much I spent on them. I asked her the other night "So is it okay for me to pull the 'I've had that one for years' card?". Her answer? "I won't know the difference".

:)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
If you get enough hat box traffic going steadily, she'll not know what is coming or going that are purchases, sells, cleanings, repairs, alterations, etc.
It is all about making it seem a normal event to have a hat box delivered...
Get busy!!!!!

There used to be an entire thread in the Observation Bar called "Whipped By Our Wives??" Unfortunately, the FL's moderators seem to have deleted it.

thespoiler

One of the Regulars
After all these years!...I just found the perfect place to show off my hats.....and right here in the living room too..... only had to move a few pictures and knick-knacks. Wonder why my wife never brought that up?....I'm sure she will be surprised when she gets back from visiting the grandkids......
DSC02064.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy