Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Hardcore Tweedists"

Warbaby

One Too Many
I'm seriously addicted to Harris Tweed jackets and with the exception of a few rare warm days here on the not-so-tropical island of Vancouver, I wear them year-round. I have various weights from ones that are no heavier than ordinary sport coats to super thick ones that keep me warm on the coldest winter days when worn over an Irish sweater. Fortunately we have a lot of retirees who move here from GB, so tweeds are a common thrift shop find. I usually buy every one I find that fits (and a few that don't if they're really exceptional patterns). I try to limit the selection in my closet to 8 or 10 jackets that get replaced as I find ones I like better. Those that I replace get packed away in a steamer trunk against the time when Harris Tweeds make a comeback and become worth what they should be worth. I'll refrain from mentioning how many I have so I can continue to maintain the illusion of sanity.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Fornication and Wearing Tweed

The old priests were famous for discouraging fornication..."hands off the tweeds and onto the beads" they were wont to say.....!lol :eek: :D

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Warbaby said:
Those that I replace get packed away in a steamer trunk against the time when Harris Tweeds make a comeback and become worth what they should be worth. I'll refrain from mentioning how many I have so I can continue to maintain the illusion of sanity.

They will shortly make inroads in the hip-hop crowd.

I've met you (at Sara's house) so I for one can vouch for your sanity.

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
Tweedunderwear.gif

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
Doran said:
This must be a joke. Gently Caressing Tweed? That's like a "gentle kick in the head."
Read the small print on the bottom, its a joke. But i felt it shoud be posted nevertheless lol

filfoster

One Too Many
Too Tweed or not to

Fletch said:
To me, the wearing of Shetlands in summertime has a taste of blueblooded, ascetic manliness about it - a little bit of elitism, even, as if to say "we uppercrust Yankees are made of sterner stuff than those decadent Southerners in their linens and seersuckers. We're happy to sweat, in the office or on vacation."

It's a fancy-folks variation on the "woolhatter" tradition in the post-bellum South. In the fields, Black sharecroppers would wear straw hats to keep off the sun but stay cool. Sharecroppers of Scots-Irish stock, just as dirt poor but too proud to "lower" themselves to the level of the freedman, made a point of wearing their wool felts no matter how hot it got.

I dunno. I get your aesthetic but I think I'll go out on the porch in my white linen suit, a bottle of rye and me and Brick Pollitt'll play some sax in the heat of the night and wake Big Daddy and Maggie...wait, she ain't home. Again!

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
From fall (which starts generally mid to late October in D.C.) through Spring (which may or may not include May) I wear tweed nearly every day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy