Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has anyone found a good red lipstick that does not smudge???

miss1934

Familiar Face
I am used to wearing a nice red lipstick during all of my waking moments, however my signifigant other has lately been complaining about the mess is makes and such if it has been recently applied. Even blotting doesent help! My wonderful MAC Russian red is now falling out of use as I have had to fall back on lighter colors. They just don't have the same look.

Sorry I found the answer on another later post! feel free to delete this! I don't know how...

lindylady

A-List Customer
You may want to try Revlon's Certainly Red, either in creme formula or Colorstay. I have it in creme formula. After a half hour, it sets on your lips and doesn't smudge unless you eat oily foods. I also blot to make it last longer.

The Colorstay formula has changed and now it's softer, more wearable. I have a few shades of it, and they don't smudge. Hope this helps.

Nicole

New in Town
I like Revlon's Certainly Red, but I recently discovered their Matte finish collection, and I love the matte "Really Red"... it's a deep red color, but not too flashy for wearing every day, and doesn't smudge much at all.

Inky

One Too Many
I love Illamasqua lipstick line (available at Sephora). They have several, the most versatile being Box. I also like Tramp and Maneater. They go on matte and stay on quite well on their own. I do not have problem with smudges or lipstick on my teeth while I wear it.

I use this product over my lipstick (Illamasqua or MAC are pretty much what I wear) and never have to reapply during an evening out:

http://lipcote.com/

if you don't want to order from the UK (but it's absolutely worth it), then you can try Benefit's SheLaq, but I did not find it as effective as Lipcote.

maisie

Practically Family
Nicole said:
I like Revlon's Certainly Red, but I recently discovered their Matte finish collection, and I love the matte "Really Red"... it's a deep red color, but not too flashy for wearing every day, and doesn't smudge much at all.

Ooo I love the whole matt range Revlon has done! :D
I bought two red colours, one being the one you mentioned the other 'In The Red', and a nude colour. I haven't tried the reds yet, but I love the nude one! It stays on for ages and doesn't have any horrible smells or tastes (I have some weird thing that I can't wear anything on my lips that smells/tastes waxy, it just freaks me out lol!!!)
I also love there eyeshadows, they look really 40's as they don't have shimmer in them (I have been looking for something like it for ages....).

I use this product over my lipstick (Illamasqua or MAC are pretty much what I wear) and never have to reapply during an evening out:

http://lipcote.com/

Lipcote is THE BEST!
It doesn't matter what lipstick you try, it will never be as smudgeproff as when your wearing this stuff!
If I apply lipcote over my lipstick, it will literally stay there all day! It will save you so much lipstick! And will stop those 'lipstick on teeth' moments.....
I recommend it! I didn't know they didn't sell it in the US though...

Smuterella

One Too Many
I've had issues with the texture of the Revlon matte range, does no-one else find the colour sort of goes patchy, like it pools in areas?

Lenore

Practically Family
Smuterella said:
I've had issues with the texture of the Revlon matte range, does no-one else find the colour sort of goes patchy, like it pools in areas?

No, you're not the only one. I've bought several beautiful red shades from the matte range that I cannot wear because they go on patchy. :-(

Claireg

One of the Regulars
Hi lenore
I have Nars - Red Lizard.
It is a little bright but never smudges and stays on for ages and ages.
I mix it with my benefit browns and it still stays fine.

xx

bettylovekitten

New in Town
how about the red bleeding? I swear no matter what liner I've used or red lipstick...even some pinks I get a bleeding in my lips...i try and make sure my lips are smooth and sometimes use concealer or a base. But I'm not sure if i just haven't found the right liner?

Inky

One Too Many
bettylovekitten said:
how about the red bleeding? I swear no matter what liner I've used or red lipstick...even some pinks I get a bleeding in my lips...i try and make sure my lips are smooth and sometimes use concealer or a base. But I'm not sure if i just haven't found the right liner?

do you mean bleeding outside the lip line? if so, and you are already making sure your lips are properly prepped by exfoliation, you might want to consider a good lip primer and/or an clear lip liner pencil. The primer will help your lipstick stay put (like a foundation, but i find concealer works better), and the clear lip pencils work like any lip liner pencil but I use them just outside the lip line to prevent feathering/bleeding.

I use Benefit's clear lip pencil with very good results.

bettylovekitten

New in Town
I have tried all the above solutions except a clear lip liner. I have had it happen more in the last two years then it ever did...which is frightening that that is where I am seeing my aging occur lol yikes....but I have never tried the clear lip liner. I may try that with everything else too. Eventually hopefully something will work. I have to say so far the one lipstick that hasn't bled too quickly on me is the Bourjois -Rouge Best. It stays on long and takes a while to actually bleed. So maybe I can experiment with some other options and this clear lip liner.

Inky

One Too Many
bettylovekitten said:
I have tried all the above solutions except a clear lip liner. I have had it happen more in the last two years then it ever did...which is frightening that that is where I am seeing my aging occur lol yikes....but I have never tried the clear lip liner. I may try that with everything else too. Eventually hopefully something will work. I have to say so far the one lipstick that hasn't bled too quickly on me is the Bourjois -Rouge Best. It stays on long and takes a while to actually bleed. So maybe I can experiment with some other options and this clear lip liner.

I completely understand the aging thing and lips!

I do find that matte lipsticks bleed on me far less than anything glossy or even satin finish lipsticks. which is good, as i prefer a matte lip to any shine or shimmer.

My routine is this:

exfoliate
lip balm (which i wipe off when i sit down to do my make up)
concealer on my lips (make up forever)
blot lightly
powder lightly when i set my foundation with powder
clear lip liner on outside of lip line
red lip liner to shape lips and also inside the lip line as a base
use a lipstick brush to smooth out lip liner edges
apply lipstick (sometimes with a brush, sometimes not, i see no difference in results here)
blot lightly
smooth/clean up any areas necessary with lipstick brush
apply lipcote and let dry

with this routine (which takes far less time to do than type, haha!) i'm good to go for at least 4 to 6 hours or longer.

If you have a Sephora near you the nice thing is even if you do not like a product you can return it. The employees are also very good about suggesting solutions that you may also try - cosmetic companies are always coming out with some new primer or formula to try.

Lillemor

One Too Many
If there's anything good about a lipstick it will be discontinued!:mad:

The Bourgogne Burgundy 92/233 Maybelline I'm using now works when blotted off. Then it stays and stays and has the right matte shade. If I don't blot it, it smears terribly and rubs off on anything. But after just one blot it stays and stays and has a nice matte, midtone rather than a very deep burgundy which suits me but I feel it's a bit much for day wear. I bought it two years ago so I don't know if Maybelline still makes it. I'm a little tired of reds so I'm not looking to replace it.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I'm a Mac Ruby Woo purist. Stays on all day until you tak eit off. It's also dry, which I like.

Revlon is gross to me. It feels like I'm rubbing cooking fat on my lips :(

Lillemor

One Too Many
Nicole said:

We don't have Revlon here but Oriflame used to have a lipstick range with names like Liz and Jean and they were matte, light and stayed right on but they had a few deep shades. Smell like butterscotch. Just right for day wear so I'm holding on to mine. It's their only lipsticks I've liked.

Avalon

A-List Customer
Nicole said:

Agreed. *nods* This has become my signature lipstick.

Avalon

A-List Customer
Amy Jeanne said:
Revlon is gross to me. It feels like I'm rubbing cooking fat on my lips :(

That's what makes their new matte line so nice! None of that greasy ickyness they tend to have. (Also, it doesn't smell like plastic - every Revlon lippy I've ever tried usually does.)

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
Claireg said:
Hi lenore
I have Nars - Red Lizard.
It is a little bright but never smudges and stays on for ages and ages.
I mix it with my benefit browns and it still stays fine.

xx

I'll second the recommendation for Red Lizard. Another one of my favorite Nars shades is Trans Siberian, which is more of a deep red (as opposed to a bright one).

Claireg

One of the Regulars
ooooo, thanks to you ladies I just scored me some Revlon "in the red" - this is as close as i have come to my perfect shade, it smudges more than my Nars but I havent sorted me a routine like Inky's yet. Thats where Im going wrong!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24