Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has anyone found a good red lipstick that does not smudge???

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
3 new favorites!

Max Factor has a line called Runway, with three acceptable shades of red:
#36, sort of a bright coral red
#40, the perfect red, not too orange, not too blue
#44, a slightly darker brick red (looks the way Mac's Russian Red does on me, but most people don't find Russian Red to look brick)
No smell! Stays on! Doesn't bleed! I do wear matching lip liner of course.
I am buying all of it I can find as it is true, they will discontinue it once it gets a following.
Mac's Ruby Woo is always a big favorite of mine too, but it's twice the cost of these MF ones, so out of my range for a while.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Ladies, while a lipstick itself may help determine how long it lasts, the real deciding factor is HOW you apply it!!!!!!!

Your lips need to be smooth. You need to use a primer (I prefer Sephora's Tricks of the Trade). You need to use a liner to line and fill in (Kevin Aucoin recommends a neutral one and so do I). Blotting and powdering really do help!

Here is a post of mine from another thread about this. I have added changes here and there.

--
Make sure lips are moisturized with a *non-petroleum-based* balm. Petroleum breaks down lipstick.

If you have problems with creasing on the outside of your lips, start by applying a very light coat of foundation to your lips and around the edges of your lips to prevent lipstick migration. **I've actually found recently that primer works better. Love the Sephora primer, and it helps liner fill in go on smoothly and evenly**

Use a *neutral* shade of lipliner to line and fill in your lips. Many gals will recommend a matching red liner. Kevin Aucoin recommends a neutral shade, and I agree with him. I think the results are far superior and you will save yourself money not having to buy a matching liner for every lipstick. I use MAC Spice. Using a liner and filling in with it will help keep lipstick from bleeding and migrating.

Use a brush to fill in lips. Start from the edges and work your way inward. Do not rub your lips together to distribute the lipstick. This leaves unevenly applied lipstick and can cause smudges on the outsides. I do not like long-lasting formulas, as I find that many are way too drying. **I also think that filling in with a brush helps prevent pulling of delicate lip skin, makes it easier to get your lines perfect, and helps lipstick go on more evenly**

Lightly blot with tissue.

Lightly powder. If you're not great with the powder, hold one ply of tissue to your lips and powder through it.

Re-apply lipstick with brush.

Blot again. Powdering and blotting is necessary in my opinion and ensures that absolute longest-staying power. It only really works with matte lipsticks though.

Stick a finger in your mouth, pucker around it, and pull the finger out of your mouth. This will remove lipstick from areas where it is likely to rub off on your teeth.

Finally, check your teeth for lipstick!

**I am not a fan of lipstick sealers, but have recently discovered Sephora's Tricks of the Trade sealer and I do rather like it**

Ruby Red

New in Town
Thanks KittyT, what wonderful advice.

Do any of you ladies have anything to say about Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencils?

I have been using Mac's Dubonnet for a couple of years and I want to try something new with a Matte finish. I'd like to find something a little brighter that still suits my skin tone. Because Dubonnet is a deep red, it dries out my lips and leaves me with a rather gross clumping and uneven coloration after a few hours. However I need a more blue toned red because my skin has red undertones.

Inky

One Too Many
Ruby Red said:
Do any of you ladies have anything to say about Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencils?

I have the Nars Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella. It's a bit more brick toned, and for a matte it really doesn't have much staying power. It's lighter in weight than the MAC mattes (russian red and ruby woo), and not as pigmented either. The only thing I do like is it is very convenient to have pencil/lipstick in one simple product - I use it mostly for daytime because I can put it in my pocket when not carrying a handbag, or make my husband carry it ;)

I can't say this enough - check out the Illamasqua line - Box is a beautiful red color.

Ruby Red

New in Town
Claireg said:
Hi lenore
I have Nars - Red Lizard.
It is a little bright but never smudges and stays on for ages and ages.
I mix it with my benefit browns and it still stays fine.

xx

What kind of finish does Nars Red Lizard have? and is it very pigmented?

Ruby Red

New in Town
Inky said:
I have the Nars Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella. It's a bit more brick toned, and for a matte it really doesn't have much staying power. It's lighter in weight than the MAC mattes (russian red and ruby woo), and not as pigmented either. The only thing I do like is it is very convenient to have pencil/lipstick in one simple product - I use it mostly for daytime because I can put it in my pocket when not carrying a handbag, or make my husband carry it ;)

I can't say this enough - check out the Illamasqua line - Box is a beautiful red color.

Thanks! That was very helpful! I will check out Illamasqua when I wander into Sephora tomorrow :)

bettylovekitten

New in Town
I really wish Sephora was closer to me....the only time I really get to go is when I get into NYC and thats not often enough....hehe but so I finally got my lips to not bleed. Not sure if I was missing a step with what I was doing before. But also just got Really Red from the Revlon Matte Series and I love it more than any other Red I have :)

I want to try the Into the Red but thats another day :) and where do you get lipcote?

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Our lipstick in #131 (I think the name of it is Opium Red)

It waers off pretty evenly and has really great staying power!!!.. even after I blot it off.
Its a beautiful color... not orangy red, not blue red.. somewhere in the middle.

Inky

One Too Many
bettylovekitten said:
I really wish Sephora was closer to me....the only time I really get to go is when I get into NYC and thats not often enough....hehe but so I finally got my lips to not bleed. Not sure if I was missing a step with what I was doing before. But also just got Really Red from the Revlon Matte Series and I love it more than any other Red I have :)

I want to try the Into the Red but thats another day :) and where do you get lipcote?

Yay! I'm glad you've found a way to keep your lips from bleeding red lipstick!!

I don't believe lipcote is available in the US but I got mine at lipcote.com or you can also find it on ebay from vendors in the UK. it's not expensive and i love it. even this weekend at a holiday sit-down dinner party two women took me aside and demanded i tell them how i still had my full lipstick on, hahaha - and I should say it's Lenore that turned me on to lipcote in the first place!

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
Ruby Red said:
What kind of finish does Nars Red Lizard have? and is it very pigmented?

Red Lizard is classified as a semi-matte, which I'd say describes the finish well. I find it bright, but not as over-saturated as the Besame reds, which are probably the most pigmented that I've found. If you're going to Sephora, I'd recommend checking Red Lizard out.

Nicole

New in Town
Lenore said:
No, you're not the only one. I've bought several beautiful red shades from the matte range that I cannot wear because they go on patchy. :-(

I use these more as a stain, I guess, and I find they work great like that. I don't use them to cover completely; I guess I could see where you might run into that problem if you rub them on thick. I just blot them on, and end up with a really matte look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24