Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has Hollywood lost its creativity?

ukali1066

Practically Family
The last film I went to the cinema to watch was The assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford....there's been nothing to attract me back since

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Well thank goodness we do not have a 3D theater up here.

I agree with James that Hollywood was never creative, for I believe it is a right combination of acting talent, directing, editing, music and screenplay that make a great movie. Looking at this from a statistical standpoint, that is a lot of different areas where things can and do go wrong.

And then there are people's opinions. I did not like Avatar, a lot of people did.

And I'm curious, does Hollywood include the TV networks? If so, then Mad Men is surely a successfully creative product and they film out in the Los Angeles area. I do not watch much TV, but I'm sure there are other studio run shows that people in this thread love.

Pompidou

One Too Many
For creativity, you really have to look for individual names, more than anything. I think Disney Pixar puts out a quality product that oozes creativity from every pore, but I don't think they're technically Hollywood. The last live action movie that I thought was creative, that I saw in theaters, was probably, well, I'm not sure. I saw Ridley Scott's Robin Hood, and the creativity is debatable. It's certainly a very creative Robin Hood movie - like nothing you've ever wanted to see. On the other hand, it's the same old cookie-cutter pseudo-historical epic that Ridley Scott could make in his sleep. For better or worse (better for me because I like the genre), Scott is becoming a one trick pony, so I can't really give Robin Hood creativity points there. Still, he didn't try and retell the same story that's never been done better since Errol Flynn's The Adventures of Robin Hood.

Derek Cavin

One of the Regulars
To me the comedies are more about shock and feeling uncomfortable. I don't find that funny. Much of the rest seems to deal with the fringes of society and often far too dark for me. I see 1 or 2 movies a year at the theater and maybe a half-dozen on TV (via DVD).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR