Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has Target gone too far?

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think splashing labels all over yourself when the things are expensive is bad enough. The beauty behind Target is that you can be cheap and no one else knows!

But what do I know.

Twitch

That link isn't direct. One needs to click on the "home" to get there.

I dunno the stuff is at least identifyable as "Target." [huh] One thing for sure the advertising company that does their TV commercials is superbly innovative. They're such a stand-out comapared to any other store's ads it's sick.

Daisy Buchanan

I just think it down right silly! First of all, you'd never be able to play archery, or go skeet shooting ever again. Second, Target is just not couture. Don't get me wrong, I like it, I'm actually going there tomorrow, yahoo! But there is no way they can convince me that they are on the same level as Gucci or Louis Vuitton. I realize that this statement might sound stuck up, but that's not what I was going for. I guess what I'm trying to say is stick with what you know. Target is known for it's low prices, albeit, most of there product reflects these lower prices. But, they do serve a great function. You can get just about anything there. You know they are reliable, and I know the store near me has excellent customer service.
So, couture, no way! Besides isn't cheap couture an oxymoron?? On the other hand, couture once meant that a token few of really rich people could find ways to show off their cash in the form of expensive pocket books and designer jeans. Now there are knock-offs everywhere, and anyone can have a brown bag with LV's on it complements of Canal Street. So, I guess these couture hungry mongers will have to find a newer higher up way to spend their cash, because the definition of couture has officially changed.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Who is to say Target is better than Louis? Louis may have a history and stature behind it's label, though so does target!

It is couture... they are a fashion house for millions of people and in the US, more so today than Louis Voutton.

If It came to it I'd rather have the Louis briefcase with the LV logos... if it came down to it, though if it were up to me and T-shirts were the option, well Alright fine... I'd go for the LV shirt too.

That is only if I had nothing else to wear... As it is I don't go for corporate logos on my kit... remember that thread Enough with the logos

Target is just as couture as those little shops on the side of the street in downtown LA what are started by aspiring designers and as couture as the most well established firms... they may not go custom, though they are a design house.

Rosie

One Too Many
I think it's pretty funny. When I was a teenager all of the kids were into clothes with HUGE labels all over them, TOMMY HILLFIGER, KARL KANI, CROSS COLOURS. NO one would EVER want to admit that their clothes came from target or any other discount store, :eek:
To see people and apparently psuedo-celebrities happily parading around with the target insignia all over their bodies is kind of funny. Maybe they're doing it to be ironic?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
could be for irony...but I think most people wear those labels proudly, like we all care? Me? I go for the 'look'...and if I can get it at a discount, awesome!:D With the jeans, it made me laugh thinking what people have stuck on their clothes backsides *sighs* :rolleyes: :D

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I'm sorry, but Target is not a design house. They are a mainstream store who sells clothing of different labels. If you call Target a design house then you can call Nordrom, WalMart, JcPenny's, Mervyn's, and other large stores design houses. They are a chain store with their own line. There's a big difference. A design house is usually a store which does custom couture for the wearer- places like Prada, Louis Vouitton, Armani- these designers create a line of clothing and then that clothing on it's highest level is custom made for the body of the wearer. They offer ready to wear (or off-the-peg) designs as well, but that's not what classifies them as Couture, or a design house.

HistWardrobe

Vendor
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal

This reminds me of one of my favourite Far Side cartoons:
mini-LARSON03.JPG

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
House design!

13127.s.jpg

Couture doesn't mean it has to be custom made, though it does refer to high fashion, and unique to the house...
tell me this isn't high fashion

13117.l.jpg

Now if Target offered bespoke, benchmade, tailormade, made to measure or custom... that would be a different story. Though they offer couture.
and well... It's just weird.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes