Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hasidic Jews and the Fedora

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Samuel

Practically Family
In England the Sefaradim ( Spanish and Portuguese Jews) adopted the headdress of the times which at first was the tri hat/ tricorne or revolutionary hat. This was the fashion of the time for all English gentlemen including Sefardic Jews who wanted to participate in said fashion. The Jews having been expelled in the 1300's from England got a reprieve from the government in particular Oliver Cromwell and were allowed to come back again in the 1656, the first to arrive were the Spanish and Portuguese Jews, who mainly came from Amsterdam.

They built the first synagogue in London known today as the Bevis Mark synagogue. When the fashion changed from tricorne to the top hat, many younger Jews adopted the fashion of the era. This caused a stir in the community, as the hard liners or elders of the community wanted to maintain tradition rather change. Unbelievably this change of fashion from tricorne to top hats caused the first congregational split and those who maintained that top hats should be worn stayed at the Bevis Marks while the tricorne traditionalist built another synogogue further away. To this day, our high tradition hats in other words the hats we use to get married in or for very special occasiones is the top hat. It's not surprising to see Spanish and Portuguese Jews use top hats when going to the esnoga (synagogue in Portuguese) or to see a cantor sing while wearing his top hat. In Jamaica, there was another enclave of Spanish and Portuguese Jews who used fedoras as the fashion of the day. I have pictures of this to prove my point. I'm a Spanish and Portuguese Jew.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Great perspective, Shmuly--Er, Samuel (sorry, Ashkenaz came out there :) ). For Hasidim, hats and clothes are part of the culture: to stand out in your community is to be immodest, and to be immodest is the beginning of all kids of ways to go astray. For Orthodox Jews, either Ashkenazim or Sephardim, there are far more ways to dress that don't stand out, and modesty is more about style of clothing or coverage than it is about strict conformity. However, there is a lot of variation. People might find Dr. Werner Cohn's study of hats to be quite interesting: http://www.wernercohn.com/hats.html .

Cheers,
Aaron

Samuel

Practically Family
26781_1422840010175_4691748_n.jpg
. Jamaican Sefardic synagogue Shaare Shalom

Well said Aaron, From my cultural perspective as a Sefaradi, I can say that modesty is important for both men and women. However, the Sefaradim have always had closer ties to the community at large or the non Jewish host community. We have always dressed in the styles or fashions of the days without bringing too much unneeded attention to ourselves. Unlike the Hasidim who stick out wherever they live.

Two things I want to point out about the halacha (Jewish Law). Head covering is only necessary halachically when praying the amidah prayer. This is the only time when a persons head man or women must be covered. So, using a kippa (skullcap) or a cap or fedora is not mandated by Jewish law at any time other than during that prayer.

Something happened in Judaism that caused it to adopt unusual practices like in some communities the men wear skullcaps underneath their black fedoras this as you can see is unnecessary and redundant. That being said, its very important to know the requirements and prerequisites of ones religious observance, something that is missing today all together from just about every Jewish community.

Last edited:

Lotsahats

One Too Many
A cloth kippah won't make your hat ride THAT high.

image-2_zps5062210c.jpg

Men wear the hat in the style of their rebbe, so if the rebbe wears his hat high, his hasids will, too.

Alan, I think that might give someone payos envy.

Aaron

Samuel

Practically Family
A cloth kippah won't make your hat ride THAT high.

image-2_zps5062210c.jpg

Men wear the hat in the style of their rebbe, so if the rebbe wears his hat high, his hasids will, too.

Alan, I think that might give someone payos envy.

Aaron

I didn't think a kippah would cause the hat to ride high. I think they order them small as a fashion statement?

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
As for what I see in Italy (sefardi, ashkenazi and the very ancient "italkim") flat caps are all the rage between the youngers, with some rare lubavitcher wearing wide brimmed black fedora... and israeli exchange students mostly bare-headed unless forced!
;)

Samuel

Practically Family
As for what I see in Italy (sefardi, ashkenazi and the very ancient "italkim") flat caps are all the rage between the youngers, with some rare lubavitcher wearing wide brimmed black fedora... and israeli exchange students mostly bare-headed unless forced!
;)

I wear the flat caps often too. They are nice casual or dressy

When I lived in Ferndale MI, I would see the Orthodox families walking to Synagogue on Saturdays, the men always wore black fedoras, somewhat similar to a Whippet style.

Here in Ohio, the Amish wear black flat hats with black brim binding usually, although some will wear a fedora type crease in their hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart