Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Ads

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I tried to merge the two hat ad threads, I meant to put this one under the new one... I need more practice with these thread tools.

Anything from the 50's or before please.

fashion_0016-vi.jpg

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
1950sLee.jpg

JP - a question please. The hat on the LHS.

What exactly is that style? The bow at the back - 30s or 50s? I have heard that it's both.... But what differenciates a bow on the back from the hats of the 30s and those of the 50s?

It looks like it has a two inch brim and a fairly high brim. But then would the brown hat beside it have an even wider brim?

See, I have a hat like this on order, but I really was trying to get the 30s look, not the 50s look.

Think Chicago, NY, King Kong newsmen, taupe with a black band....

Any thoughts?

Mr. 'H'.

MKL

A-List Customer
I noticed the Portis ad above. I have a Protis fedora, I think it is from the '50's. Not sure though. It looks just like the blue one in the ad.

mkl

Mr. 'H' said:
1950sLee.jpg

JP - a question please. The hat on the LHS.

What exactly is that style? The bow at the back - 30s or 50s? I have heard that it's both.... But what differenciates a bow on the back from the hats of the 30s and those of the 50s?

It looks like it has a two inch brim and a fairly high brim. But then would the brown hat beside it have an even wider brim?

See, I have a hat like this on order, but I really was trying to get the 30s look, not the 50s look.

Think Chicago, NY, King Kong newsmen, taupe with a black band....

Any thoughts?

Mr. 'H'.

The bow at the back was popular both in the 1930s and the 1950s. I suppose the fashion cycle comes back in twenty years or so.
The bow at the back from the 1930s would probably have a slightly larger brim (2 1/4" instead of 2"). It does not seem like a big difference though. Many of the 30s hats with the bow at the back I have come in contact with were blocked in a pork pie block rather than a simple center dent like the one on the left hand side. You could also have a center dent with two side dents as well in the 1930s though. Think FDR's hats. The crowns were usually higher in the 1930s. They have that stove pipe look. ;)
The easiest way to tell the difference is to look at the liner and sweatband in the hat. That will tell you for sure. There is a big difference in the liners and logos used.
If you have a hat like the hat in the 1950s ad on order then you need to make sure it has a 6" crown and probably a 2 1/4" brim. That would even out the look. I am not sure if you would be comfortable with a pork pie block though. There will be plenty of crown to work with if you do. ;) The 1933 Stetson ad above will give you some idea of what I mean. The Stetsonian, and to a lesser extent the Vogue, gives you an idea of what you are looking for.
The brown hat beside it has about the same crown height but it has a wider brim as you noticed. That brim is likely 2 1/2" not 2". It does not seem like much difference and it can fool you but it makes a difference when you see it in person.
Maybe some of these will help a bit as well.
1937 Mallory
1937Mallory.jpg

1959 Viscount
1958StetsonViscount.jpg

1953 Disney
g831.jpg

1930s Stetson
a3_1_b.jpg

1938 Stetson ad
1938Stetson.jpg

Regards to all,

J

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Check out this Hat Life ad that precedes JP's Lee Hats ad...

I have a fascinating Aug. 1943 issue of Hat Life, then celebrating its 71st year:
detail

For those who didn't know, Hat Life is the industry magazine, now 133 years old. In this issue is Lee Hats' ad that tells store buyers they have the "Men's Hats Women Can Sell."
detail

Kinda hard to read in the picture, but I like the line on the lower left that says "Becomingness is in from crown to brim." The three hats right above that are (top down) "The Parker $10," "The Lotus $7.50" and "The Romance $6.50."

Snrbfshn said:
Kinda hard to read in the picture, but I like the line on the lower left that says "Becomingness is in from crown to brim." The three hats right above that are (top down) "The Parker $10," "The Lotus $7.50" and "The Romance $6.50."

I'll take five of each at that price. Where do I send payment? :p Is the woman going to come over and make sure they fit right? Then I'll take ten. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24