Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moth protection for Hats

EricH

One of the Regulars
We're always fighting moths here. I like to use the moth traps made by Safer available at any good hardware type store. They don't kill the larvae, but they attract and trap the male moths.

When I get an infestation, the traps let me know right away and help reduce the chances of them "getting together" and reproducing.

And like the others above, its all about cedar, moth balls, and good storage practices or if you are Art, bombing monthly.

Eric

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Deep Freeze

When you get ready to put your felts up for the season, a trip to the freezer followed by bagging with an air tite bag and put in the box. Death to any critters!!! Simple, no smell, next question?

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Walk in cooler

I have a couple of custom hat makers friends that bought used walk in coolers and they keep there felt hat body's in the walk in...No moths etc...I believe they said it also helps the felt to age...:D

woodsie

Banned
Hello. Been lurking here for a few months, and enjoying the info and overall banter. Have gotten 20 or so vintage beauties on OFAS, as you say, most recently a Borsalino Allesandria that's great. Could use some advice on moth protection. I currently have the lids in plastic bags in hat boxes. I've seen a few of the little buggers lately, and I'm sweating it. Thanks

analogist

One of the Regulars
CREEPY CRITTERS

Welcome Woodsie;

From one lurker to another, I too fear the creepy critters.

I do not store hats in plastic bags as this can tend to rot the deceptively
fragile leather sweat bands and give the hat the patina you don't want.

I find the small cedar shapes like blocks, triangles, and balls. Good aroma and good results. When their aroma fades, time to get out the fine sandpaper which will revitalize them. For the extra punch,a dab of cedar oil and your hats will now be off limits to the chewing mandibles of the unwanted.

analogist

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
woodsie, There seem to be two schools of thought here in the Lounge:

(1) Store your hats in boxes, with moth balls, cedar chips, or other repellant.
(2) Store your hats in the open, where they get fresh air and light. Wear them constantly, and brush if needed.

While opinion is divided as to which is better, advocates maintain that they both work. :)

apipeguy

One of the Regulars
analogist said:
Welcome Woodsie;

From one lurker to another, I too fear the creepy critters.

I do not store hats in plastic bags as this can tend to rot the deceptively
fragile leather sweat bands and give the hat the patina you don't want.

I find the small cedar shapes like blocks, triangles, and balls. Good aroma and good results. When their aroma fades, time to get out the fine sandpaper which will revitalize them. For the extra punch,a dab of cedar oil and your hats will now be off limits to the chewing mandibles of the unwanted.

analogist
Where do I buy blocks and triangles? home depot?

EricH

One of the Regulars
Cedar and cedar oil helps keep them away. I have seen that there are other herbs that apparently work also. I use phermone based moth traps as an alert and a way to help erradicate the population.

It also helps to keep up with the housecleaning especially if you have hairy pets. That loose bit of hair under the dresser makes a nice home.

I also make a habit of regularly brushing and moving hats around.

Its a constant battle around here to keep them at bay.

Eric

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Howdy,

Dirt & sweat in fabric attracts moths.

Cedar & mothballs repel (but *don't* kill) moths.

Moths are nocturnal, and the dark of a closet or hat box are certainly night-like.

Around here, the next hat-storage project will be to take the hats out of their boxes and their closet, and put them on a hat rack. Then, with that closet free of mothball odors, it'll be the perfect place to squeeze in a wine rack.

Cheers,
Mark

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I've got a question regarding moths and mercury. Do moths go after mercury treated hats? I notice a lot less mothing on my early '30s or earlier hats. They have a lot more problems with stitching rot and that kind of thing, but hardly any mothing. Have I just gotten lucky ones, or does whatever they processed hats with back then have any effect on them?

barrowjh

One Too Many
I've been placing small bags of lavender in the hat boxes with the hats, presuming that will repel the unwanteds. Does anyone else use lavender?

I think the critters are attracted to the glue (stiffener, or sizing) used in the felt. They like cardboard boxes for the same reason. This might help account for less critter attention to hats made during the late depression and war times when the shellac (or whatever) was being used more sparingly on the hats? All of this is regurgitated from other's threads, so that's why the question mark.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
J.T.Marcus said:
Dinerman, It's a proven scientific fact that moths don't like rotten stetches! lol
I don't know J.T., There is one moth that may have gotten into one of those mercury hats!!:D

mothra.jpg

2mothra.jpg

mothra1.jpg

fatwoul

Practically Family
I suspect Mothra's appetite might at least explain why hats went out of fashion in Japan. :D

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
My .25

Whenever I get a used hat I always put it in the freezer for a couple of weeks to kill any larvae that might have infested it. Then I keep them in air tight bags in boxes. The nocturnal thing is usually correct, however, I actually found the little devils devouring an Akubra that I had hanging on the bed post in plain daylight. Worms in the hat are not that good of a thing day or night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn