Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat care tools??

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Wow, very similar, but the brass tacks are in different places, and the handle contruction is slightly different. I picked it up in Ginza during an exhibit at Matsuya Department store, when the maker, a Mr Aoyama, was in town. He lives in Saitama, and his home industry is called Aoyama Kojyo. The bristles do seem to follow a standard pattern though.

armod

Familiar Face
hat is dirty. but so is my brush

what is the best way to clean a horse hair brush?

it has some shoe polish on it and I'm guessing I shouldn't brush that onto my hat.

soap and water?

shampoo?
(I use shampoo for my boar hair shaving brush)

Dewhurst

Practically Family
You should use a brush dedicated only to the hats. I wouldn't even bother cleaning that brush, just get another one for the hat only.

armod

Familiar Face
just so everyone knows I'm not applying polish with the brush. I'm just using it to buff the shoes.

also I might not be in the financial league to get another brush at the present time

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
First off I wouldn't use that brush ... Even though you only use the brush to buff the shoes some of the polish residue will be on that brush and will transfer to your hat.....

Second, check out this site for hat brushes, one can be had for $5.00 and up from there, So perhaps you might just be in the financial league for a new brush.

Third, if all else fails start saving for a new brush and leave the hat as is until you can afford one... I would rather have a hat that needs brushed than one that has a bit of color brushed into it and now needs serious cleaning to remove the shoe polish residue....

it does come off on the brush, I found out the hard way.. Luckily it wasn't on a hat but I tried to quickly brush some dog hair and lint off light colored pants and I only barely touched the material.. I was in a hurry didn't want to hunt down the lint roller....... :mad:

armod

Familiar Face
Ordinary Guy said:
Second, check out this site for hat brushes, one can be had for $5.00 and up from there, So perhaps you might just be in the financial league for a new brush.

which site is that?

bendingoak

Vendor
Don't use a lint roller. You will pull the nap up. Use a hat brush for your hats. Dark brush for dark hats. Light brush for light colored hat.

Pop the bash out of the hat. Brush the hat front to back on the very top of the crown. Then brush the crown counter clock wise. Do the same with the top of the brim. Flip the hat over and brush the under side of the brim clock wise. Try different strokes to see what works best for your hat.

Us your hat brush only for your hats.

I hope this helps.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Use a tooth brush for teeth, a hair brush for hair, a shoe brush for shoes and a hat brush for hats. Do not mix and match!

A hat brush is one that curves so you can brush the brim easier, especially for hard shell hats. Use a hard bristle one for general purposes and a soft one for more delicate hats.

Hard-hat-brush.jpg

Soft-hat-brush.jpg

Pilgrim

One Too Many
armod said:
just so everyone knows I'm not applying polish with the brush. I'm just using it to buff the shoes.

Respectfully, that is an error. I join the others in strongly suggesting that you use different brushes....there is no way that you should use the same brush on both.

If needed, go out and buy an inexpensive hair brush with genuine boar bristles until you can find a hat brush. The shapes of the hat brushes above should help you find a brush that will serve.

pauljmuk

New in Town
yup, must agree. you need a seperate brush.

money should not be an issue, certainly not if you can afford a felt hat. i use a superb clean undyed shoe brush, which is genuine bristle and only cost me £2 from the local cobblers (sorry US folks - english quaint term for the boot repair shop)

I have handled a hat brush at £20, and other than a slightly longer handle, cannot see the difference at the business end (ie the bristles).

Look for genuine bristle, go clockwise (with the nap). avoid a lint roller, and certainly. certainly, certainly, break the bank to get another bristle brush to avoid using same one for the shoes.

Ditto the advice above, if the hat is darker, feel free to use a dark shoe brush. My hat is fawn, so I go with un-dyed bristle.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Those rough orange sponges available at western stores are specifically made for brushing felt hats and are cheeeeeep.

I also have a light, soft bristle curved hat brush for light felt, and a dark version of same for dark felt. They did cost a little more so save up and get to that when you can because they are worth it.

I know Optimo recommends using those gluey lint rollers on fine fur felt hats, and they certainly are experts, but in fact, those are for clothing and are very unwieldy to use on hats and they rough up the ribbon and bow arrangement. I also feel they would bring up the fibers of the felt and remove material as well. They may also transfer tackiness. I use them on clothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner