Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat collection ups and downs

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Does anyone else keep records of the hats they've collected? I've been keeping track of the hats that I've owned, sold, and kept dating back to 2010; I've bought and sold 42 hats, I have 4 that I'm about to sell, and I've kept 17. The one I've had the longest has been with me for 2.5 years, which I think says something about my constantly fickle tastes. There's only one that I regret selling, a Borsalino. When I contacted the buyer to grovel for the hat, he said, "Sorry--this has become my favorite hat. In fact, I cleared out the rest of my collection after I got this one. It's perfect." At least it landed in a good home.

Anyone else have stories to tell?

Aaron

Lots of stories! I bought my first fedora (a NOS Lee Private label) in 1971, and finally took a complete fedora inventory this past year, and actually wrote (err, typed) it all down with dates and other pertinent info. I have definitely bought more than I sold, and have now settled in to where I feel the only additional hat acquisitions are "holy grail" types. At my size, however, that experience of gratification won't happen very often. No Whippet, Stetson 100, or nice (properly fitting) bowler for me! YET. Oh, there could be others...

Pavlov was right; I search harder and appreciate more the few rewards I have found.

TPD166

One Too Many
I put together an inventory a few years ago - but won't disclose how many in case my wife reads this post. I haven't tracked the ones I have parted with - only a few regrets though. I am trying to downsize to the ones I use and wear regularly, with only a few "special" ones left in the closet. That being said, I have bought about six new ones in the past couple of months. Denial is a wonderful thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot