Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat color goes with suit or overcoat color?

Bammerman

New in Town
Subject line says it all... Should I match my hat color to my overcoat color (I only have one, charcoal color, so that limits me to gray or black, I think) or to my suit color or sportsjacket color? In the latter case, I can then wear my brown hat. What do you think? Is there a federal regulation about this, or some sartorial lex equally compelling?

geo

I think the brown hat would go with the charcoal overcoat. Brown goes well with charcoal, and I often wear brown suede shoes with charcoal plain or chalkstriped suits. A brown hat goes well with a charcoal suit too. The shade of brown matters too, but as long as it's a brown similar to the Indiana Jones fedora, I think the above holds. The brown hat would go also with a navy suit or overcoat, provided that the overcoat is not too short. Try, see what you like, and go with what you like.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I tend to go with the overall tone of the clothing. With a blue, grey or black tone, I wear a grey hat. When I wear khaki, olive or similar earth-tones, I wear a brown hat. But that's me.

Navy is such a neutral color that it could go either way. If I wore a navy blazer with grey slacks, I'd go with a grey hat. If I wore it with khaki slacks, I'd go with the brown hat.

I guess another way to look at it is - I'd complement the shoes I'm wearing. When the outfit is such that I'd wear black shoes, the grey hat is on. When I wear brown or cordovan shoes, it's brown hat time.

Bammerman

New in Town
shoes and hat, that makes sense

Thanks to both of you for replying. Pilgrim, your suggestion to key the hat to the shoes makes sense, because if it's cold enough for me to be wearing my overcoat, all people will be seeing of my clothes (after all, I'll be taking both hat and overcoat off once I get inside) will be shoes, overcoat and hat. Since the overcoat is a neutral charcoal, the other two should work together, color-wise. Makes sense to me.

Aquia33

One of the Regulars
My Eddie G

I just got my Eddie G delivered from Art. I think I am going to wear it with anything & everything. It is really a light buff/cream color. I am sure I will turn some heads with my black pinstripe suit and black cashmere overcoat.
But turning heads is what this hat is all about.

kidgalahad1.jpg

However I just cannot wear a hat with the front brim up (Leo Gorcey style!), so I deference to Mr Robinson (and the Bowery Boys). my brim is wore turned down.

gekisai29

One of the Regulars
Pilgrim has got it in my book.Hats & shoes(& belts & watchbands)for that matter )look best when in the same color family. Of course to each his own.

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
From a earlier post...

I copied these recommendations for coordinating hat color from an archived post, and as I remember, that was copied from a vintage source, though if someone recalls better, please correct me.

"Light grey goes well with fair skin, blond and brown hair with blue, navy, dark grey and black outer clothing.

"Dark grey goes well with fair skin, blond and brown hair with grey and green outer clothing.

"Navy goes well with blue eyes and any color of hair but particularly suits auburn and red heads with navy blue, grey, brown and tan outer clothing.

"Brown suits dark and ruddy skins and auburn and red heads, although can be worn by any complexion with brown, green, olive and tan clothing. Can be occasionally worn with navy outer clothing.

"Green hats should be favored by blond and brown haired gentlemen and ladies although can be worn by any color hair and is suitable with green, olive, brown outer clothing. It can also be worn with navy outer clothing."

RedPop4

One Too Many
I like the archived suggestions, but I've only got brown hats at the moment. So, I'm wearing brownish/greenish shirts that require a brown belt and shoes, so I can wear my new lovelies.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Traditionally hat color was supposed to coordinate with the overcoat or topcoat color, not the suit color. If wearing an overcoat I would definately follow this rule. However if not wearing an overcoat it is fine to match it to your suit I think although it is certainly not necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats