Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat for business casual/weekend?

RJCNTX

Familiar Face
Another newbie question...

I'm looking to pick up felt hats to add to my very beginner collection. I'm comfortable in what I want for when I wear a suit. However, I primarily wear business casual.

So what type/style of hat typically looks better with business casual and some weekend wear?

Thanks for the help!

duggap

Banned
I stopped dressing in suits about ten years ago. Now I wear all my hats with dressy golf shirts for summer and long sleeve shirts for winter. I just don't put on a bound brim because, to my taste, it looks a little too dressy. But if you think about it, there are so few of us hat wearers that we can pretty much set our own rules. If you can find a hat shop where you can go and try on various types of hats, you will much better be able to settle on what looks best for you and your appearance. I have heard it said here, and I agree, that you can wear anything you want, just get the confidence and then do it. ;)

Duck

Practically Family
Business casual is what I wear every day. To me, a thin ribbon hat, such as a Open Road or clone, works well will dressed up or dressed down. I think a thin ribbon looks good with just about everything, from suits to jeans.

French

Familiar Face
another question

I'm another newbie, and was wondering if people use the same hat for work and play, or if you have a "work hat" and a "weekend hat" that you would wear for hikes with the kids, knocking around the yard, etc.

From what I've read the general trend is "lots of hats", but please humor my illusion that I can get by with.just one or two.

Thanks,
French

RBH

Bartender
Welcome to you both,RJCNTX and French!
Duck said it right a thin ribbon goes well with anything, also a wide brim - high crown such as an Adventurebilt is another that can be dressed up or down.

As far as a work hat any good hat can make a nice work hat, the good ones will with stand most abuse.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
For me, I really like a good fedora that has the color and style to go with just about anything. While I don't always dress up to the extreme, the mere fact that I am a college student who actually tucks in their shirt 90% of the time probably places me in the "he who dresses up" section of my peers.

I only have four fedoras, and out of those four, two that I am obsessed with and wear regularly when the season permits. I feel confident in wearing either of my fedoras, or my Ivy cap with your basic collared shirts, and a pair of pants-whether they be dress slacks, or jeans.

Dutch McCoy

One of the Regulars
I only have two Fedoras and a straw Porkpie and I pretty just rotate them around. I do tend to favor my Dark Grey Fedora with a black ribbon, though. I think if I had more hats, I would probably break them down more but, alas, I do not.

Easy Money

New in Town
I am no expert by any stretch, but I picked up an inexpensive Bailey in a dark brown with a slightly thinner ribbon about an inch. I feels better with Dockers or jeans and a button down than my dark gray fedora with the wider ribbon. I always felt the gray fedora seemed dressier. Just one mans obsevations.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you're looking for a "work" hat and a "weekend" hat, do take into consideration things like your local climate and your typical "work" and "weekend" activities.

In other words, if you live in St. Paul, MN, you may consider a medium to heavy weight fur felt fedora for work and perhaps a nice wool trilby for weekend jaunts. Whereas, if you're scoopin' the loop in Georgia, you may want to stick to straws and light weights, maybe a medium weight for the winter.

But if you're idea of work is shoveling wet concrete in Ecuador...and on the weekends you're a race car driver...[huh] you may need to consider an alternative. (Although a panama would be PERFECT for the concrete shoveling in Ecuador!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes