Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Gift Certificates - Those Tiny Boxes of Delight

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Those tiny hats in tiny hat boxes. Does anyone collect them? What's desirable? Did they come with certificates as well? Do you have any photos to share?

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I started to collect them about fifteen years ago before Ebay ruined everything . Now , I have over 100 different ones from companies such as Dobbs , Stetson ,Borsalino , Mallory , Dalton and many others .
I shouln't say Ebay ruined evertyhing , just that it got more people interested in them . When Ebay started , you could buy them for 5 to 15 dollars . Now , I've seen some go for over 100.00. The same for vintage hats .
At least they dont take up that much space in my house!!

Steven

squid

One of the Regulars
I found a magazine ad for Knox hats in an antique store today. It was for the Christmas season so it highlighted these as gifts. One came in a bell shaped ornament, a Tom & Jerry came with a coffee cup, and a third one that I don't recall. Each one came with a gift certificate.

I was just killing time so I didn't pick up the ad. And the search for hats was a bust.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
The Gift Hats

You know, those tiny hats that would fit a size 7/8" head.

I'd always wondered what they were exactly. At first I thought they were "salemen's samples", as antique shop price tags so often called them.

Turns out, they were given as gifts as the below advertisement shows.

hatad.jpg

The receiver of the tiny box and hat would take them into the shop where the giver had already paid for a real hat. The receiver would then pick up his hat and happily walk out with a smile on his face and a new hat tipped on his head.

Here are mine:
DSCN0562.jpg

The Resistol hat on the right is made of pure felt while the others are fuzzy plastic.

Let's see yours. :)

Josephine

One Too Many
thunderw21 said:
The receiver of the tiny box and hat would take them into the shop where the giver had already paid for a real hat. The receiver would then pick up his hat and happily walk out with a smile on his face and a new hat tipped on his head.

Why didn't they just bring the real hat home? ::is puzzled::

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Josephine said:

This way the receipient was able to pick out the hat--color, style, etc. and get one that fits the first time around rather than have to go back to get it in the right size, etc.

Cheers,
Tom

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Josephine said:

In essence, these miniature hats and hat boxes acted as "gift certificates." So, the recipient could head on over to the retail store and then choose a lid that was to their liking in terms of style, color, etc.

It always cracks me up when I see one of these described as a "salesman's sample" on OFAS. I can just imagine the salesman meeting with the head buyer at the department store, taking out a tiny plastic fedora and saying, "Now just imagine this a whole lot bigger, and made of felt, not shiny red plastic...How many would you like to order?" :D

Cheers,
JtL

Edward

Bartender
Those are cool. Much more fun than the reular gift certificate, and for someone who either wanted to let the recipient choose the style and colour, or who didn't kno the size, a great way of being able to suprise them on Christmas Day without getting it "wrong", either in terms of style or size.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I've collected these for years and in fact, I use them as intended!!! I have had several transaction using them and it's perfect for the wife to surprise "hubby" and treat him to a custom, while having something to open at the event. I'll get some pics if time allows.
Great box JTL, the Stetson Christmas is one of the most sought after

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
In essence, these miniature hats and hat boxes acted as "gift certificates." So, the recipient could head on over to the retail store and then choose a lid that was to their liking in terms of style, color, etc.

I never knew these existed, but now that I do, I think they're really cool. I'm finding the whole idea of miniature fedora "gift certificates" very intriguing. Makes me want to get a few to decorate my desk or something; seems like they could be perfect for that.

K

kpreed

I collect these too. At one time I found them an easy find, not so much anymore, but I always felt any fedora owner should have at least one.;)

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Art Fawcett said:
Great box JTL, the Stetson Christmas is one of the most sought after

I'm with you, Art. I absolutely love the scene on that box -- a nostalgic look at a 40's Christmas. I was also lucky enough to find the full-size version, as well:

StetsonChristmasBox.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
ScionPI2005 said:
Makes me want to get a few to decorate my desk or something; seems like they could be perfect for that.

I love how the Stetson ad suggests that the little box can be used to store cuff-links and collar buttons! :)

Cheers,
JtL

portolan

A-List Customer
This forum is amazing....

I just saw several of these for sale and was about to inquire if there are enough to form a collection. I think, after looking at this thread, the answer is yes! I think they are very cool. I am a sucker for collecting odd ball stuff. These look terrific......Any more updates on them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo