Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Head

matei

One Too Many
Hat-head question...

Sorry if this is the wrong section for my question, but what kind of hair product do some of you use to avoid the dreaded "hat head"?

I have short wavy hair that is usually kept in check with gel or wax. However, once the gelled hair is pushed out of shape by my hat, it loses its look and gets all puffy.

The wax works a little better, but is extremely sticky. I'd be afraid to use it with a really nice hat due to the residue it leaves.

I've never tried pomade, perhaps this would work?

gcollins

One of the Regulars
The best hair product I've found to fully eliminate hat head is...a razor.

shave that head to a 3mm, and you'll never have to worry! :)

matei

One Too Many
Ah, good point.

However I've got a rather large head, whose size is accentuated by short or no hair.

My wife wouldn't be too enthused... :p

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Actually, while I don't shave my head, I have been wearing my hair shorter on the sides to avoid the hat hair look. That's really about all you can do.

fedoralover

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
One must have the properly shaped head...

to pull off the Shaved Head. I began balding in my early 20's. I really should have started shaving then. I went through about a decade of differing hairstyles to include the natorious "bald man with a ponytail" look. I grew beards, goatees, sideburns, various versions of the moustache, ect... I've been shaving my head for about 10 years now I find it easier to deal with the bald jokes than the comb over comments. One downside is that I tend to sweat through hats fast. I guess 'cause there is nothing between my head and my sweatband. I own my own outdoors type business and wear my gray Biltmore "Douglas" for work. It has a rather nice sweat ring around the crown and brim.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Use a pomade made for men. I have several, but Matt Deckard recommends Brilliantines and Royal Crown hair dressing. Lately, I've been using Murray's and NuNile to keep my hair in check, along with a pocket comb. If you choose to get Murray's, use it very sparingly. A little goes a long way and if you put alot it tends to not want to come out of your hair. In fact, I prefer NuNile, which is more light weight. Look for these in your african american hair care section at drug stores or beauty-related stores. They're both $3 a can. You can do all the shapes that wax and gels do, but your hair still remains relatively flexible. i.e., i can spike my hair up with a little Murray's, and will remain in that shape, but if knock something that might make a cowlick, it would bounce back, whereas a gel would crack and a wax would sorta stay in that cowlick.
Pomades will tend to stay in the hair, and not leave too much residue on the sweatband, but naturally the liner, if it's white, will get stain if you sweat.
My hair is straight, but I get my sides short, and the top and bangs are getting longer. The transition has tobe pretty high to avoid that line across my head from the hat.

Victor

One of the Regulars
To offer a different approach than the rest of you mention I just wear my hair long in a ponytail. I don't use any gels or waxes (waxing ones hair seems very odd). Tying it back seems to prevent much "hat head" problems though I do usually run a brush through it if I get the chance if I am taking my hat off for awhile.

I think the easiest method is to keep ones hair shorter. I do not mean 3mm though. :eek: :p I keep my hair fairly short and that is mostly because it will get all wavy and stuff if I don't. :rolleyes:
No parts or any such things just straight back without any hair products. Works for me. I might try that Brilliantine stuff though just to see---if I can find it. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
The problem with my asian hair is that if it's longer without anything in it is that it just prickles into a hedgehog on my head. I think that is why most of my peers my age have started using gel to spike their hair. The only way to keep it under control with nothing is to keep it short, with a size 3 barbershop buzzer. The worst part is if i have nothing in my hair and i put on a hat with a center dent, the center dent will leave a dent in my hair. Think inversed mohawk. So i have to slick my hair down with a pomade/brilliantine so that I can take my hat off at all without lookin like one of the 3 stooges.

thefish

Familiar Face
zeus36 said:
Cool,

and I thought I was the only one wearing a pony tail with a fedora. Wonder how many other members have 'em ?

Z.

Well, it looks like there are at least three of us anyway. Zeus. ;-)

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy