Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat manners?

wenestvedt

New in Town
I've been trying to remember my hat manners: for example I will take it off indoors, but what about when driving a car? (Yes, I was amazed to disciover that I could wear the new cattleman while driving my Camry!)

I'm not the only one thinking about it. I found a piece from a Bangor, ME. newspaper last summer exhorting people to remember not to wear their hats --here, I think, meaning baseball hats -- at inappropriate time & places:
http://bangordailynews.com/news/t/lifestyle.aspx?articleid=135865&zoneid=65

The "Ask Andy" site has an article that uses the public/private nature of spaces top deteemine when hats are top be removed, a distinction which appeals to me:
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Clothes Articles/etiquette_for_hats_and_caps.htm

And here's a couple of links in a posting on Jonathon Delacour's blog in 2002: http://weblog.delacour.net/archives/000710.html

I remember from JROTC that our cover was to be worn pretty much all the time, but I can't hold myself to the Army's standards, especially these days of Hat Scarcity. :7)

Anyone got any ideas anymore?

- Will

warbird

One Too Many
Undertow said:
I wonder if kids are still being taught to remove hats during appropriate times?

Judging from what I see, I'd say NO. It seems most adults have either forgotten or didn't learn those manners either.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
warbird said:
Judging from what I see, I'd say NO. It seems most adults have either forgotten or didn't learn those manners either.

While the majority of my friends were not raised this way, I actually was. I usually take off my hat while eating; the main exceptions are when I'm eating alone it seems.

Some of my friends actually complain to me about this. One time I went out and ate with a few of them, took the hat off, and my friend asked me why I did that. I told her it was just the old-fashioned appropriate way to do it. She looked around, saw I was the only one who'd taken my hat off (even in a dining room with older gentlemen in their 70's) and said I was just nuts. Ah well...

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We certainly are living in a Philistine society. I've often been chided about my "habits", and I'm often referred to as "the old man". Heck, I've even had (ex)girlfriends become hostile with me for trying to open doors, carry heavy things up stairs, etc.

Sometimes, I just don't think a good guy can win...[huh]

warbird

One Too Many
ScionPI2005 said:
While the majority of my friends were not raised this way, I actually was. I usually take off my hat while eating; the main exceptions are when I'm eating alone it seems.

Some of my friends actually complain to me about this. One time I went out and ate with a few of them, took the hat off, and my friend asked me why I did that. I told her it was just the old-fashioned appropriate way to do it. She looked around, saw I was the only one who'd taken my hat off (even in a dining room with older gentlemen in their 70's) and said I was just nuts. Ah well...

Well good for you. Keep up the good work. When you are right it is OK to be the only one on that side of the line. Eventually others will join.

A

Ande1963

I often wonder about wearing my hats at my favorite local drinking establishments. I usually leave them on, and no one seems to mind. I see a bar as an informal atmosphere.

Anj

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
If there is no place to put the hat down, I can see the reason for keeping it on. But wearing a hat on a Saturday at the office or at the table in a restaurant strikes me as a little silly. Are you trying to keep the sun out of your eyes in your cubicle?

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You know, that's a good question. Do you take your hat off at a bar if you're getting a couple drinks? I would assume if you were eating, you would take it off.

Personally, I tend to take off my hat any time I sit down somewhere. That's just a good rule of thumb for me.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Leave it on for lunch at the counter

20060517SeniseFamily-thumb.jpg

wevans02.jpg

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
remember the post when the world series was going on and the announcer said "Ladies and Gentlemen please remove your CAPS"....he didn't say HATS because hat wearers are smart enough to know that already...

mark tssb

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24