Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat of this shape

qwerty

Familiar Face
Hi guys. I am new here. Actualy I was directed here from the Raven bar. I have a question for you.
Recently I bought a fedora. I shaped it to resemble Indiana Jones's. But at the Raven I saw a avatar that had an interesting shape of a fedora, and now I would kinda like to shape my hat to that style. This is the mentoned avatar.
indy_14.gif

Is it posible to shape my hat this way.
Indy's hat has to dents with the strong line in front. This is diferent, and very tempting. But is it posible?

qwerty

Familiar Face
And while I am here I might as well ask this.
My hat has that awfull "old suit" stench. I hope you know what is that smell. You can smell when you open a closet that has suits that are twenty years old.
When I put my hat out on a clear air that smell dissapears but after some time of wearing it the smell comes back.
What can I do about it? Is this common problem? Or is this the cheap fedora syndrom?

MattC

A-List Customer
Removing the smell; shaping the hat

You absolutely can shape it that way if you are starting with an Indy like hat. If you use the search function, you'll find a number of helpful threads about shaping and steaming.

To get rid of the smell. Get an athletic sock and fill it with Arm & Hammer baking soda. tie off the end. Put the sock and the hat in a plasic garment bag (from the cleaners). Tie up the open ends of the bag. Let 'em sit at least 1 week, better 2. Take it out. No musty smell.

Great tip MattC. There's this obnoxious, musty-smelling guy living a few doors down from me. I'm wondering if that little baking soda/plastic bag trick would take care of the problem.

Or the shape of this hat.

qwerty said:
When I put my hat out on a clear air that smell dissapears but after some time of wearing it the smell comes back. What can I do about it? Is this common problem? Or is this the cheap fedora syndrom?
Another way is to take it in to a reputable hat place and have them clean and reblock your hat. A pro can do the reshaping for you and a good cleaning will bring a lot of life back to the hat.

MattC

A-List Customer
On the smell thing

I've actually sent this trick (the baking soda, garment bag thing) to a couple of master hatters. Thing is, soaking it won't get the smell out. This will.

As for the neighbor, a couple of weeks in a sealed bag is like to replace it with other smells.

S

Shaul-Ike Cohen

qwerty said:
How much of baking soda is needed for an average size fedora?

Without the context, this sounds very awkward. Buying one is much easier than making one in the oven.

photobyalan

A-List Customer
There are few things more effective at getting an objectionable smell out of a hat than a bath in naphtha. Buy a gallon at your local hardware store and pour it into a bowl, then just dunk the hat in and swish it around for a few minutes. Do yourself a favor and perform this operation outdoors. Leave the hat outdoors to dry overnight. Not only will the smell be gone, the hat will be squeaky clean as well. The nice thing about using naphtha is that the hat is ready to wear the next day, after the naphtha has evaporated.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
photobyalan said:
There are few things more effective at getting an objectionable smell out of a hat than a bath in naphtha. Buy a gallon at your local hardware store and pour it into a bowl, then just dunk the hat in and swish it around for a few minutes. Do yourself a favor and perform this operation outdoors. Leave the hat outdoors to dry overnight. Not only will the smell be gone, the hat will be squeaky clean as well. The nice thing about using naphtha is that the hat is ready to wear the next day, after the naphtha has evaporated.

Aren't you ever worried that the naphta will stain/effect the silk liner or the leather sweatband?

Also, I'm not sure if you can buy it here....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats