Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat size recommendations

davidraphael

Practically Family
Does anyone have any advice about what size to go for? Are there any surer ways of working this out (before I start spending a lot of money on a hat)?

I measure myself with a proper tailor's tape measure and I'm about 58.5cm around the widest part of my head...

But I have a size 58 hat that that seems ever so slightly too large...

...But I also have a hat that seems to fit quite well and it's a 57...

...and I also have a size 59 hat, but it's too large unless I add foam under the sweatband, then it's fine...

I read at places Akubra that I should buy up to a size larger than my measurements...

Confusing....

Perhaps my head changes size if I am complimented in any way.... Granted, that doesn't happen very often, but still...

any suggestions?

scooter

Practically Family
Well, I certainly not the expert here, but I will offer this. Different hats fit differently. It could be that your 57 has been stretched just a bit, or has been ovalized. I would think it is best to trust the tape measure, but the absolute best thing to do is go to a hatter and have him measure you. In addition, some hats will shrink ever so slightly if left unworn for a bit, so a 58 cm, might actually feel a bit snug (at least till you've worn it for a bit). Also, I have read that older hats can shrink a full size over time. If a hat is a little snug, but close, I just spray the felt with water and wear it till dry. Fits like a dream!!

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would order a 58 Akubra, based on what I have read on this website. But mainly, you should go to a hat store and try on several sizes to see which one is yours. The alternative is to guess around by mail order, which is time consuming and bothersome if you don't know your size for sure.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
It depends on the hat company you are buying your hat from. You have not mentioned just exactly from whom you are buying. Is it an new Akubra, or a Stetson, or an older vintage European hat? As I'm sure you are aware they can all vary greatly in how they can fit. Sizing can be a very general thing as far as how specific hat firms hats will fit. To use the example of Akubra, if you are an in-between size my experience with them would be to go up a size as they tend to shrink down to fit after wearing in the rain and with sweat.

davidraphael

Practically Family
At the moment, I'm looking specifically at new Akubra Fed IVs and vintage Dobbs.
Otherwise, I'm keeping my options open and just seeing what comes up at ebay....

thanks for all the advice so far...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland