Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat spray

Golden

Familiar Face
Just looking for a consensus on what people use here.
I have 3 beaver fedoras coming and wanted to make sure they were weather resistant.

is there a thread on this?

ty

-j

g.durand

One Too Many

Loz Dawes

Familiar Face
for beaver, I wouldn't use any spray, they'll be fine against the elements... as for other threads, I'd use the search function.... there should be a few that you'll find informative. :thumb:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Beaver holds nice agains the weather but don't let it soak. My poor 4x beaver Stetson didn't stand for 7 days in UK weather (always raining) as I had to use public transportation and walk a lot without an umbrella.
If it gets very wet, the next day wear another hat, leaving the first to dry a bit more.

Our friend Joao's advice ought be heeded.

A quality fur felt hat body itself will be little the worse for having gotten exposed to rain and/or snow. But the ribbon -- both the band ribbon and the edge binding, if the hat has a binding -- will likely suffer for it, and the leather won't appreciate it much, either.

Still, even though the felt body can take water, that doesn't mean you should make a habit of soaking a hat, leastwise not if you hope for it to retain its sharp look. Even higher quality hat bodies have been known to taper and/or dimple after repeated exposure to precipitation. Usually, such hats are worth the trouble and expense of reblocking, which restores the shape and generally sharpens 'em up again. But that costs.

I (and many others here, I'd wager) keep a few hats just for wear in rough weather -- hats that look well-used and are destined to look all the more used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou