Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Storage Advice

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Hi, finally I managed to sign up for this board.

Anyway, I am not as hardcore as many of you guys, still a beginner. I have 8 hats, most quite cheap.

My question is, how do you guys store your hats?

I want to have my hats on display in a room, and all I can think of to accomplish this is to put nails in the walls and hang the hats up.

Do any of you have your hats up for display in your home, and if so, is there a better way to do it than nails in walls?

Are there hat racks out there to buy?

Jack.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Welcome aboard neighbor!!! Dave has you on the right track. I don't know offhand where to buy racks at but you can make up a shelving system using expandable curtain rods instead of wooden shelves that work pretty well.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Since I just started, nothing vintage, though I'd love to go there one day.

I have a couple modern Borsalinos. I've heard bad things about them, but I can't complain. I love my Borsalino Crusher. Good for travel. And I have a panama.

I also have a Stetson Temple and a Stetson Andover (summer hat - which is my most complimented.)

Then I have a couple 25 dollar fedoras which were my first couple.

And a Akubra from Australia which I have never once wore. A gift.

Sorry no pictures. Currently don't have a camera.

Jack.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yep,

But you DO have a car:)

Come visit Art's shop in Rodeo, CA. It is a 15 minute buzz up I-80 North bound. There you can see how about 600 + hats are stored in boxes, shelves, and on display. All your questions can be answered. We usually do lunch weekly at a great Mexican place, great food, low prices....

He also has vintage clothing, and some antiques....

I'm not sure, but I think Loungers get a tour of the "Hat Room".

STHill

One of the Regulars
The fact that you've been accepted into the Fedora Lounge means you are indeed in a secret society. If you are allowed in Art's hallowed Chamber O' Hats, you will have become a member of a Double Secret Society.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
LOL

Double Secret Society???? Sounds cool, when were you guys gonna tell me??

Jack, I have a vintage clothing business in Rodeo with hats being my specialty ( and passion). If you can take the time someday you can tell first hand how your modern day Borsalinos compare to the Borsalinos of the past. Over the years Andy & I have become good friends & have lunch whenever our schedules allow, plus I take care of his hats when needed.)

C'mon in & have a bite !!

Art

Originally posted by STHill
The fact that you've been accepted into the Fedora Lounge means you are indeed in a secret society. If you are allowed in Art's hallowed Chamber O' Hats, you will have become a member of a Double Secret Society.

Wow! I am a member of the Double Secret Society and didn't even know it. :eek: I will have to tell my friend, Jason, that he is one too. ;) Does my wife count because she reads over my shoulder once in a while? LOL
Seriously though, if you have not seen it then you are missing something. There is more stuff in there than you can take in at once. I haven't see where the time machine that Art uses to get New Old Stock hats from the Golden Years is though. I will have to look more closely next time. Maybe it is behind a mirror or something. LOL

Regards to all,

J
DSS member

Merlin

Familiar Face
Hat storage

Okay, so I discovered this website called "The Fedora Lounge" last week, and I've been visiting almost every day. Does that mean I have a problem? Is there a twelve-step plan that I can sign up for? Ah, hell, everyone needs at least one vice. . .

Thank you in advance to anyone who can shed some light on my question. I've been wearing hats for the better part of two decades, have owned several dozen, and still can't seem to find a decent answer to the age-old question of how to store one's hat. In the box, upside down, brim turned up. That's the easy part. I've gotten conflicting reports as to whether or not one should use a hat stretcher, however. I've been told that it's a good idea to use one if you're not going to wear the hat for a while; it'll help the hat keep its shape. On the flipside, I've also heard that it's not a good idea to store one's hats with a hat stretcher inside because the weight of the hat stretcher can distort the crown (if your box is too shallow) and/or make the brim wavy along with a host of other maladies that I've forgotten.

So, this being the meeting ground for the world's premiere hat minds, I humbly await your expert advice. Thanks!

Well, comign from someone who has a few hats, :rolleyes: I like to store them in the box brim turned up upside down---making sure the cardboard ring is in the box to keep the hat crown from being crushed. I also put in a few moth balls for good measure. I do not put hat stretchers in my hats because of the reasons you mentioned. They will not likely shrink from simply sitting in the box. Now if you wear the heck out of them in rain, sleet and snow then something might happen to them. :p
I like to keep it simple. The box and moth balls will protect them from dust and creatures that happen to wander into the hat room. ;)

Regards to all,

J

The Wingnut

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
The box and moth balls will protect them from dust and creatures that happen to wander into the hat room. ;)

DISCLAIMER: THE ABOVE DOES NOT INCLUDE SMALL CHILDREN AND PETS.

:p

If you can get them, use a 'hat condom' as well. Like JP said, you won't really need a stetcher unless you wear a hat in heavy rain, and probably will just need it in the hat 'til it's dry.

Welcome to the Lounge!

Canadave

One Too Many
on hooks

Welcome, Merlin. Personally, I like to see my hats, and I don't have 70-80 like some people I know :rolleyes:, so here's how I store some of them...

side.JPG

Check out this thread for more details.

David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner