Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat stores in Vancouver, perhaps?

Engrishman

Familiar Face
I hail from the former olympic city "Hollywood North", better known as Vancouver. Being fairly new to the forums, I've been trying to discern how best to acquire a Panama hat, in preparation for the coming summer season. An immediate use of the search tool didn't give me any really current information, so I thought I might post my question here.

I'm specifically looking for any information about hat retail stores in the vicinity of my (Canadian) city and its surrounding municipalities, because if I'm going to spend a hundred dollars or more on a hat, I would very much like to test its look and feel in person. There were almost half a dozen hat retailers in Vancouver prior to the economic crash, and post-recovery there are only three that I'm aware of:

• Edie's Hats, which has historically been at Granville Island Market
  • Chapel
  • The Goorin Brothers only recently opened a store at Yaletown

Additionally, I'm willing to look into online retailers for panamas if the price is lower than 100 dollars (canadian), and would love to hear from other Canadians about domestic purchase options. What would your collective opinion be on a store like Panama Bob's, who I noticed is having a special discount on Panamas right now? http://panamas.biz/specials.html

Any and all assistance you can provide will be most appreciated.

Last edited:

Engrishman

Familiar Face
Thanks for the reply, KGB. I'm actually aware of Roxann's, but because it's so out of the way, I'm not sure how I'm going to get to it in a convenient fashion. I'll definitely keep it in mind, though!

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
The Panama Bob hats are great and if you can still snag one in your size I recomend do it.
Here are what my two recent Panama's look like.
web.jpg

Engrishman

Familiar Face
Panama Bob's latest sale is absolutely tempting. I'm really tempted to pursue that option, Hatter, even with the 30 dollar shipping. Does he still frequent the forums, because if he does, I'll most likely fire a PM off to him.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Panama Bob's latest sale is absolutely tempting. I'm really tempted to pursue that option, Hatter, even with the 30 dollar shipping. Does he still frequent the forums, because if he does, I'll most likely fire a PM off to him.

Hi, PERSONALLY, I'd go to one of the local stores and determine your hat size. I would browse Panama Bob's stuff and order a couple of the less expensive hats. If I still have a job later this year, that's what my evil plan is. I need a brown Panama hat and another natural one.

Again, personally, I have trouble spending the big $ on a Panama hat. Panama's are VERY easy to destroy (ask me how I know) by setting on one etc. But buying a few for roughly $100 total isn't so bad.

Just My $0.02.

Engrishman

Familiar Face
Done and done. He actually already replied to my first email, but left out some details on brim size and quality grade that I need clarified before I make my final decision.

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate the information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot