Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat style advice.

DRB

One Too Many
I think I prefer the picture of you without the moustache. It makes you look more relaxed IMHO

Scotus

One of the Regulars
I like what you did with the St. Regis. That's my favorite.

As for the mustache, you look much better without it. Contrary to what you might thing about mustaches, your mustache actually makes you look thinner in the face. So, for what it's worth, I'd go without the mustache.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
J B said:
But I agree with the fact that it takes a lot of nerve to wear a fedora these days, especially when you're starting out.

Here's what happened with me. I always liked hats too. Twenty and some years ago when I would try them on at the classy men's stores like Brooks Brothers or Burberry's here, the fedora hat types looked too "conventional" and "businessman" for me. The casual hats were all green wool outback hats. Other hats were retro movie star type hats like the Indiana Jones. Putting it on, obviously I'm trying to look like Indiana Jones. None seemed promising. I told the salesmen, I'm not going to buy a hat until I see more men wearing them. I didn't have the nerve.

Men wearing fedoras around as a commonplace never happened. Then when I turned 50, I said, the heck with everybody else! I now have the nerve, because I'm not afraid anymore that people will think this or that, and life doesn't go on forever. What, I'm going to have the nerve when I'm 65? I just don't care. I had my local hat man block a couple of Panamas I bought in Ecuador long ago, and was on my way.

My evolution now is to a better style of hat. Now what I'm after is wearing the hats I've found really work well on me, and getting some new ones, because it's fun. It is fun because few other men wear them, and I think they work. So it's a way to be distinctive in style that I can pull off. So I keep going with it.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
In response to suggestions from here and elsewhere, I have shaved the moustache off. I am not terribly pleased with the results, but I think I just need to get used to it. I also got a haircut, which is a good thing.
Photo45.jpg

But more back to the topic of this thread. I am very pleased with the success of my steamed St. Regis, but now I am torn about which way to wear the brim. So, again, I will ask you fine gentlemen what way you think looks better.

Hollywood:
Photo41.jpg

Or more traditional snap.
Photo39.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Your straw and the converted homburg look good on you. The proportions are right for you, in my eye. You look better without the moustache.

Having a hat store fairly close by is a nice thing, but all too often, selection is limited. The internet has a much larger selection, but you cant try them on.

If you have a store nearby, you can bring a tape measure and record the dimensions of a hat (or hats) that you think look proportionally correct on you (if you cant find one you like).

There is so much more to selecting a hat than just proportions, though. You can put ten different hats out in front of you, all dimensionally similar, and things like block shape, and brim finishes, will make, at least for me, all the hats very different when theyre on my head. I dont have a closetful of fedoras because Im very picky.

At least if you can figure out as many of the specs of a hat in question as possible, you have a better chance of getting what you want.

Of course, you could go for a complete custom. Guys like Art are renowned for styling a hat to a particular face, based on the buyer's wishes, and what s/he is going for in general, or specifically.

Scotus

One of the Regulars
Thumbs up to the new hair cut. May I ask, did you take in a picture, simply tell them what you wanted, or what?

And you look much better without the mustache! I think you probably just need to get used to it.

Scotus

One of the Regulars
BTW, I think that first photo could/should be posted in the hair cut section. It might be helpful to others.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Scotus said:
Thumbs up to the new hair cut. May I ask, did you take in a picture, simply tell them what you wanted, or what?

And you look much better without the mustache! I think you probably just need to get used to it.

I just went in and told them that I wanted a traditional haircut, and then talked a little bit about the length, saying that I wanted it pretty short because I will be traveling in the summer, but if it is too short my hair sticks up. I think that I got a good haircut despite the cryptic instructions I gave. It helps that I had gotten a similar haircut before, so they could work off of what was already there.

Thanks for the reassurance on the shave.

Any thoughts as to the hollywood/forward snap question anyone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles