Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Suggestion

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Goose. said:
Not-Bogart13, you had me at "hello".
drinking-14.gif

Too funny Goose! lol

Justdog

Practically Family
Black

obiwan8000 said:
Hey all,

So I'm getting married in November and have instructed my groomsmen to all buy fedoras with their tux rentals. I own a couple fedoras now, and am looking to buy another to go well with my tux.

This is a general idea of the tuxedo I will be wearing:

Black Jacket, 1 button, Notched Lapel
White Vest
White Long Tie

(This is not the exact one, but I found this image as an example):

baileygangster2-300.jpg

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Like the black one.
I agree about the featherless look but for some reason the way this one is set up it works.

carldelo

One Too Many
I agree a black homburg is the way to go.

Sterling Leather has the Stetson Homburg which has a nice appearance:
http://www.sterlingleather.com/stetsonhats-10842-TF1323Homburg.html

Miller Hats has the Stetson, but calls it the 'Corleone' (yeesh):
http://millerhats.com/presidentste_index/president2.html

Miller also has quite a few of their own, some are nice, but some are, um, less than felicitously proportioned:
http://millerhats.com/homburg_index/homburgindex.html

Dig the Peluche - it's on sale and comes in black!

Hornets Hats has a Chrystie's Homberg [sic], which is a reasonable price but not for every taste, I think:
http://hornetshats.com/f_hatview.php?link=Fur Felts

Happy shopping...

obiwan8000

New in Town
Thanks for all the responses. I'm checking all the sites and considering the style and costs. Keep them coming. :)

Found this as well:

Christy-Homburg_M.jpg

What do you guys think of it in black?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Question: Are you trying to do a gangster style outfit or a more traditional formal look? If the latter, I suggest you peruse the Formal Wear Primer thread here. If you go for the four in hand tie over the bow, a lot of people here will groan. And if you're wearing a black tux (as opposed to tail coat) make sure it's a black bow tie. And if the wedding is before 5PM, then think about a morning suit, which is the more traditional formal wear for day time. The rules have been stretched over the years, but a tux is really meant to be worn after 6PM. Believe it or not, the later a wedding is the less formal it's supposed to be.
And maybe think about losing the red? The bride should be the center of attention at the wedding, and jazzy outfits on the men could distract from that.
All that aside, I vote for the black homburg as well.
Post pics!

Akubra

Familiar Face
DavidVillaJr said:
PITCHERS, man, for the wedding pitchers...for the photographer's album

besides, can you really fault someone on THIS board for wanting to wear a hat?

:D :D

dv

PITCHERS OF BEER???:cheers1:

Or Photographs?? PICTURES ??

Sorry I could not resist, I can't spell either!

BTW one more vote for the Black Homburg and NO FEATHER!!

obiwan8000

New in Town
dhermann1 said:
If you go for the four in hand tie over the bow, a lot of people here will groan.

I would have to agree. Unfortunately, this is more a case of the Bride wanting all of us in four in hand ties. I would have preferred the bow tie definitely, but, cost and all considered too... :(

Though, the white tie i chose is very nice. Clean, with some shine to it.

And to answer your question dhermann1: Originally we were considering it a gangster sort of thing, but really, given our tuxes and choice of color scheme, it would be nice just to have hats that look good with them.

As of now I think it's between:

192.0009.01.jpg

1374.jpg

Keep em coming, thanks. :)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Let your groomsmen wear "normal" hats. You're the man of the hour, so go big or go home. :p

largesttophat.jpg

babs

A-List Customer
100% agree with Homburg as the way to go for the "formal" hat.

I will add though I have one regret only from my own wedding.. If I had it to do again, I would have gone with a black or dark suit instead of a tux.. I would have picked up the best suit I could get my hands on, with the sharpest conventional tie and shoes and then topped it off with a nice fur felt homburg.

I would have arranged with the groomsmen to all go with a standard single-breasted black suit and any that didn't have one, I'd offer up the info on the one I was wearing. If I absolutely had to stand out, as if anyone didn't know who the groom was, I'd pick a dark gray or something for the actual groom suit or vice versa.

... Reason: It's the luck of the draw if you actually will look ok at all in a rental. I'm just not a fan. But if you have a nice suit for the occasion, it can certainly come in handy later as well as a wearable suit, while the bridal gown sits in the closet forever. :)

dnjan

One Too Many
DavidVillaJr said:
PITCHERS, man, for the wedding pitchers...for the photographer's album

besides, can you really fault someone on THIS board for wanting to wear a hat?

:D :D

dv
Oh Pitchers! I understand now. The hats will be plastic-lined, and used to drink out of at the reception.

Seriously, I am all for an excuse to go out and buy another hat. But having all of the groomsmen in identical hats doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Face shape, shoulder width, etc., all result in different shapes of hats looking best on individual people.
Since it is a November wedding, having a hat to keep your head dry from the car to the church makes sense. But I really doubt there will be many opportunities for outdoor pictures requiring matching hats, and unless the groomsmen are trying to re-live some prom-type experience I cannot imagine an indoor photo-op that would call for hats. Afterall, the next most important thing to having a decent hat is knowing when to take it off. And inside at a wedding or other "dress-up event" is one of those times.

babs

A-List Customer
dnjan said:
Oh Pitchers! I understand now. The hats will be plastic-lined, and used to drink out of at the reception.

Seriously, I am all for an excuse to go out and buy another hat. But having all of the groomsmen in identical hats doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Face shape, shoulder width, etc., all result in different shapes of hats looking best on individual people.
Since it is a November wedding, having a hat to keep your head dry from the car to the church makes sense. But I really doubt there will be many opportunities for outdoor pictures requiring matching hats, and unless the groomsmen are trying to re-live some prom-type experience I cannot imagine an indoor photo-op that would call for hats. Afterall, the next most important thing to having a decent hat is knowing when to take it off. And inside at a wedding or other "dress-up event" is one of those times.

Here's a suggestion... A bit of selection but you could have them do a similar hat from the Beaver Brand hats at thefedorastore maybe. I think in their "design a hat" section you can even customize brim width and bash type if you want them to bash it, or have unbashed so you can 'roll yer own'. Don't know much about 'em but from my limited knowledge, if my next "new" hat (if I could stay away from ebay long enough wasn't going to be a Fed from Akubra, I'd be considering a Beaver Brand to my spec using that setup.

Then, if the goal was for all of them to have some similarity or none either way, but they all wanted a good quality fur-felt of some kind, there ya go. Groomsman pays for their own, of course, unless coin is no object. :)

TGIF

Edit: On subject of Homburgs suggested above. I like that Miller has the choice of brim shaping between these two:
http://millerhats.com/homburg_index/homburg2.html <-- I like the "Banker" as they call it.. flatter Michael Corleone look.. Yeah cheezy that they associate hom's with the Godfather but that hat choice on Pacino was a superb classic film hat scene.

Also, if one of your guys doesn't want to float a fortune.. I have a brand new "large" size black Bailey "Godfather" from thefedorastore worn once I'd part with to support my new fedora habit. I'll get another one for sure probably in Gray to work with my current wardrobe. Hom's are great.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
If the fellow plans on wearing it for more than just this occasion-- that is, purchasing a hat that he can actually wear more than once-- might some shade of gray be preferable for its versatility? Or is anything other than black and white verboten in formal wear?

Goose.

Practically Family
My Akubra Homburg is the hat I wear most in my felt rotation. While many purists, snobs, experts,whatever (insert here), may dismiss it...it is a hat I truly love. HEY!!! I'm not paranoid, so quit dissin' my lid!!!!! ;) Seriously, the Homburg is one, of not the first, of my top three lids that would run back into a burning house to fetch. Well, maybe not, I'd probably already be wearing it as I skidaddled from from the flames in the first place. Serious, I NEVER leave the casa without a hat...even to turn on the sprinklers or take out the rubbish.

Having stated such, for a wedding, I might wear something less "western" (someone called it that) than the Akubra. But I'm not sweating it. I'll die before I get married again. Found the "one" and she's a keeper...well, for as long as she will keep me anyway ;)

Point being, as someone else posted, the wedding is all about her. Really is. But, if you are a hat fan, get something you will wear more than for just a day (or a few hours).
I post the Akubra Homburg for reference as an option. There certainly are better Homburgs out there...but I'm practical (i.e.; "cheap") http://hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?view=54&returncat=Fedora+Hats&returnpage=1

Check out the "Homburg Nation" thread. A year ago, I never thought I'd wear one...but after seeing the gents in the thread, I changed my mind. Especially that Mr. Paladin. That was it. He looks so jaunty in his Homburgs that I "had" to get one; http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=720824#post720824
569948370_jxsyS-S.jpg

SO, after all this from everyone to assist...you best post some kick butt pics of your wedding. And, please, accept my sincerest congratulations.
Even after the years we were together before we wed, I could never imagine being as happy as I am with nothing, yet everything, because of my wife.
Okay, getting all poodle eyed here...
Goose, over and out.

And, not that it may bug anyone else, but I can't stand the reference to "gangster" or "godfather" hat that I see associated with Homburgs. Just really irks me. Thanks for listening ;)

obiwan8000

New in Town
Yeah I'm still on the hunt. There are tons of subtle differences I'm having to decide between, based upon the tux and my facial structure.

As an example, here's me in my only purchased fedora:

n7809412_31717834_166.jpg

I'm thinking I should get a medium, tapered crown homburg, with a rolled, shorter brim. The one I have pictured is great, but the brim is definitely a little wider than the look I'll go for for this occasion.

...and yes, I'll definitely be wearing my new purchase (when I make a decision) more than for this one event.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Yeah, a shorter brim would look much better. Wider brims, IMO, work better with fuller and/or shorter faces. It draws attention away from roundness/blockiness and makes the face seem better proportioned. You've got a longer, more proportioned face, so a wider brim would tend to exaggerate your features rather than accentuate them. (Again, this is all IMO).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo