Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Tipping

undertaker

Practically Family
Who? said:
I have been thinking about graveside hat etiquette lately, being of an age where friends and relatives are beginning to depart. I have decided that if I am standing there in a pouring rain, with no disrespect to the deceased or attendant clergy, I will leave my hat on. Perhaps I will try to stand at the back of the crowd to avoid offending.

I just cannot convince myself that removing one's hat in a downpour is either sensible or respectful.

Comments?

I attend funerals on a daily basis, hence the user name, and I very seldom if ever remove my hat. If I am officiating in the graveside service I generally wear my hat as I have no other place to put it I am usually holding my Bible with two hands so the wind doesn't turn the pages on me. Often I can stay back with the hearse and watch the people and this is one thing I look for if there are any men wearing hats. My hat to me is part of my "uniform" if you will and so far I have never heard or saw any negitive reactions to my wearing it during a commital service.

For What its Worth,
J.S.

rick54

New in Town
acquaintance

SinatraStyle, nice to make your acquaintance, I thought maybe Michigan had little representation on this forum!
Undertaker, you make some good points, and maybe you'd be the only person that would be granted permission to retain your lid in place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace