Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Wearing pre-1960 vs. 2017

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I'm somewhat versed in the CalExit campaign and I'm totally lost on the point.

IMHO, the rise of "fast fashion" and the steady growth of post war consumerism are also factors in hat wearing. A quality fur felt hat, is a relatively expensive item, and seemingly regarded more as an accessory. Wearing towards the back of the head as opposed to straight on also seems to be more of a norm than an exception, which could also contribute to an ill fitting hat when 'properly' worn.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Club soda here is sometimes called mineral water, or sparkling water. In Ecuador if you want water in a restaurant you need to say without gas or they bring you the mineral water, or sparkling water. IIRC, it was even more common in Florence, Aviano and Venice, Italy.

Wesslyn

Practically Family
Here's your soda...

Ben_W_Bell_Soda_Bread_Farl_05_June_2007.jpg

You want anything to drink with that?
Fits my Irish heritage. I'll take a Guinness.

KarlCrow

One Too Many
A black n tan is amongst other things, a half Guinness half Smitwicks' pale ale (a browny red ale), I think a half and half is too. I'd be more partial to a Smitwicks' with a Guinness head, or a black witch snake bite (Guinness and cider), if I was mixing. A black and blonde must be Guinness mixed with cheep gutrot lager, given a choice I'd just have the lager. They stopped brewing guinness draft properly after diagio took over. The bottled guinness (not the bottled draft stuff) is still nice.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
A black n tan is amongst other things, a half Guinness half Smitwicks' pale ale (a browny red ale), I think a half and half is too. I'd be more partial to a Smitwicks' with a Guinness head, or a black witch snake bite (Guinness and cider), if I was mixing. A black and blonde must be Guinness mixed with cheep gutrot lager, given a choice I'd just have the lager. They stopped brewing guinness draft properly after diagio took over. The bottled guinness (not the bottled draft stuff) is still nice.
do they drink Car Bombs in Ireland or is it just named after you ?

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Back to the original topic, in 1960 when I was a bit over 2 years old, I wore my dad's hat dropped over my eyes as the top of the crown stopped it at that point. In 2017 I like them perched about 1/2 to 3/4 inch above ears. Usually just a wee bit above level but sometimes tipped back a fair amount.

A black n tan is amongst other things, a half Guinness half Smitwicks' pale ale (a browny red ale), I think a half and half is too.
It's made with Harps Pale Ale now since Guinness bought out Harps a few yrs ago. There used to be a version known by a dirty name made with Killian's Red.

Called a Depth charge in my day, but could be called that now.
Yep, & called a Landmine if you upgrade to either Redbreast or Green Spot instead of Jameson.

Karl, one night back in the 90's I ended up on the Vomit Comet, the last night bus coming out of Dublin & I was staying clear out near the end of the line. I'll have to share that story in a PM with you sometime since you might know of all the places at that time.

Last edited:

KarlCrow

One Too Many
It's made with Harps Pale Ale now since Guinness bought out Harps a few yrs ago. There used to be a version known by a dirty name made with Killian's Red.
I reckon harps pale ale must be what they call Smitwicks' over there, harp is just their lager here. I've heard of Killian's but it always surprises Americans that we don't have it here. Apparently it has a high pint to taking a piss ratio just like sithwicks.

Yep, & called a Landmine if you upgrade to either Redbreast or Green Spot instead of Jameson.
no way could I do that to a redbreast.

Karl, one night back in the 90's I ended up on the Vomit Comet, the last night bus coming out of Dublin & I was staying clear out near the end of the line. I'll have to share that story in a PM with you sometime since you might know of all the places at that time.
I need to hear this story (-:. I don't remember the nineties so should know those places well.

Edward

Bartender
Harp. Urgh. Last time I paid any attention to local ads in the old country, they were produly telling the Six Counties that "It's Our Thing." Horse pee in a glassis what it is. Vile.

In Ireland Google tells me it comes from the fact the company 'mineral waters distributers', used supply most soft fizzy drinks back in the days of yore.

Aha! That would make perfect sense. My Grandmother was born in 1919. I don't know if she remembered partition happening or not, (though she always called the Republic the Free State), but it seems she would have been of the right age for that to have influenced the language. The company must have carried on around the Larne Ballymena area.

do they drink Car Bombs in Ireland or is it just named after you ?

It's not a thing I'd ever heard of until I encountered "Irish" Americans. I think it's one of those New World inventions (like "corned beef and cabbage") that were invented by the diaspora, and over time have become confused as being genuine. Humour, typically of a very dark kind, was a popular way of dealing with the Troubles at their height when I was growing up in the North, but I suspect any bar putting that on the menu or even caught calling that would swiftly have had an issue, given that you wouldn't have had to throw a stone very far from most of them to hit somebody who'd lost a relative in a carbombing or knew someone who did. These days, it's the sort of thing a lot of us would find hilarious if one of our own came out with it, and pretty damn distasteful from an outsider - especially a Plastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff