Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hatbox Homage

Almost forgot. Picked up one of these Borsalino coffin hat boxes recently. I think I paid about $12 for it and that included the ladies hat that was inside. That turned out to be a gorgeous velours hood, which I am considering to use to make a hat out of. Fleur of Penumbra is mulling on it to see what can be done.

borsa box_2.jpg
borsa box_3.jpg
borsa box_4.jpg
borsa box_5.jpg
borsa box_6.jpg

Here's another thing I picked up. These little Barbisio hat boxes can be found on Ebay regularly, usually at quite inflated asking prices. I actually bought three of them in an auction and was kind of surprised when the seller asked me if I wanted any more. Well, how many have you got? Turned out he actually had 200 of them! When asked, he didn't divulge how they came to be in his possession, but I suspect it may have been a leftover item after the Barbisio factory closed. I've never seen one offered that had a little hat inside like the American gift boxes, so I think they always came without one.

barbisiobox_1.jpg
barbisiobox_2.jpg
barbisiobox_3.jpg
barbisiobox_4.jpg
barbisiobox_5.jpg

In a load of old boxes I came up with this green & yellow Stetson box. Not model specific, no other markings or tags other than what is left of a paper tag stapled over the rim like used to be done under the lid. The other 3 sides do not have the Stetson script or the crest. Note the crest has the mapleleaf. The lid seems to be trimmed in blue or a blue green. Most of the box has aged to almost a cream color. I'm thinking 1960's but anyone have any info on when & why?

IMG_2987.jpg

Picked this one up last week. Arrived today. Steve @mayserwegener has posted one of these here before. The inner ring has gone, but other than that in very nice shape for a pre-war box.
Hückel hatbox.

View attachment 175585 View attachment 175586 View attachment 175587 View attachment 175588 View attachment 175589
Stefan, I actually found out these were made after WWII by Zeitler - Karton, Murnau / Oberbayern (still in business). I received two JHS Hats in same type boxes so I incorrectly assumed the boxes were from the same time period.

Zeitler - Karton, Murnau / Oberbayern, Hat Boxes, Hat Cases, Hat Holders

https://germanaustrianhats.invision...u-oberbayern-hat-boxes-hat-cases-hat-holders/

Stefan, I actually found out these were made after WWII by Zeitler - Karton, Murnau / Oberbayern (still in business). I received two JHS Hats in same type boxes so I incorrectly assumed the boxes were from the same time period.

Zeitler - Karton, Murnau / Oberbayern, Hat Boxes, Hat Cases, Hat Holders

https://germanaustrianhats.invision...u-oberbayern-hat-boxes-hat-cases-hat-holders/
Steve, thanks for that additional information. I only found the first posting of this type of box and missed the later one. Good to know.

A Knox Topper and a Mr Green Hats boxes....

I like that Mr. Green branding. Wonder if it was this guy?

1C1E946D-439E-4F0D-81C7-87F218498B71.jpeg

We could probably start a new thread with all the brands put out by Beaver Brands. This one was local.

AD351AA8-BEDC-4C69-BA2D-562D3C9E51E9.jpeg

From their closing auction:

5BFBBC93-40D9-4C39-B299-47F2D21D94B4.jpeg

Attachments

• C8425A09-85F1-4A1D-9922-8A9E121D6527.jpeg
    C8425A09-85F1-4A1D-9922-8A9E121D6527.jpeg
    716.5 KB · Views: 388

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou