Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you read....

Ed Bass

One of the Regulars
...The Good German, by Joseph Kanon?

It has been made into a movie starring George Clooney & Cate Blanchett.

How accurate did you feel the author's desciption was regarding the times and treatment of German civilians by the Russians during the time of the allied occupation of Berlin and before the surrender of Japan? This seems to be a period in history that most Americans don't hear too much about. If the author is correct it sounds like it was pretty brutal. I have not seen the movie yet so I don't know how it compares to the book.
Your thoughts?

Best, Toots

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I'm not familiar with the book or movie, but if you've seen "Come and See", you would be surprised that the Russians didn't just kill every German they could get their hands on.

Ed Bass

One of the Regulars
I'm not familiar with "Come and See". I assume this is a movie? Documentary style or fiction? From what era? I'd be interested in tracking it down.
Best, Toots

Ed Bass

One of the Regulars
Feraud,
As I said I haven't seen the movie but I'll have to agree with you, the book was not a very good read. I was more curious about its historical accuracy rather than recommending it as a good book.
Best, Toots

leaette

A-List Customer
I started to read the book but quit about 75 pages in. There is too much dialog in it and I got lost so many times. Who is talking now? Who is he talking to? I just couldn't "get" the constant conversations going on.
I kinda liked the movie. I didn't really view it at an historical movie. I just watched it as a regular movie.

I don't know that much about post-war Germany, except that the soldiers were bored. They wanted to go home. Lots of drinking went on. Many Germans were starving. Nowhere to live.
I do know that the Germans would MUCH rather be around the Amis versus the Russians. The Russians kinda had a free-for-all, especially with the women.

So as for your question, I didn't read much of the book so I can't comment, but the movie was pretty good. But I don't think they went into how much the Germans were sufferering especially with the hunger issue. But...it was just a movie, so I just watched it for it's entertaining value.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav