Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawker Hurricane Nose Art - BoB timeframe

Whithead

Familiar Face
I have just purchased a re-build project consisting of Sindlinger 5/8 scale Hawker Hurricane. It was damaged a while back in a hard off-field landing due to a seized engine. I will be repairing the undercarriage damage and replacing engine.

I am wondering if any one out there has a pictures or sources of pictures for nose art on Hurricanes?

Right now I am planning on repainting to represent John Haviland's plane from 151 Squadron - OCT 1940 but am thinking of putting some nose art (if appropriate)...

Any info would be helpful!

Thanks!

Howdy,

You need to look up RC and scale aircraft model decals on a google search...although there isn't much on Hawker Hurricanes "nose art" as the Brits didn't do a lot of nose art...but I did find a few that are cool! One is the 242 Sq. Douglas Bader's Squadron..."Hitler getting the boot"...another, I think is very cool and not very well known is the 213 Sq., part of the Desert Air Force, Canadian... All the squadron's aircraft had a Flying Hornet "Crabro", painted in the middle of the fuselage roundel on both sides... look up...213squadronassociationhomestead.com/Modeling/ModellersPage.html and you can see original photos and a scale model of Canadian pilot Bert Houle's aircraft who became an ace in that squadron.
Hope this helps!

Jim

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I have just purchased a re-build project consisting of Sindlinger 5/8 scale Hawker Hurricane. It was damaged a while back in a hard off-field landing due to a seized engine. I will be repairing the undercarriage damage and replacing engine.

I am wondering if any one out there has a pictures or sources of pictures for nose art on Hurricanes?

Right now I am planning on repainting to represent John Haviland's plane from 151 Squadron - OCT 1940 but am thinking of putting some nose art (if appropriate)...

Any info would be helpful!

Thanks!

Although nose art was never as prevalent in the RAF as with aircraft in American service, there were dozens and dozens of Hurris which carried nose art during the Battle of Britain. I have a pretty good sized library on the subject and am more than happy to lend a hand. It really depends if you have a specific "theme" to the art you are after or nationality or squadron.

Feel free to PM me.

Whithead

Familiar Face
Smithy -

Tried to PM and the system seems to think you mail box is full...

I am looking for some BoB (JUN - OCT 1940) examples of non-squadron nose art...especially on Hurricanes...pin-up would be good...orjust examples to show variety used.

Thanks!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Smithy -

Tried to PM and the system seems to think you mail box is full...

I am looking for some BoB (JUN - OCT 1940) examples of non-squadron nose art...especially on Hurricanes...pin-up would be good...orjust examples to show variety used.

Thanks!

Whithead, I've cleared my inbox. Whizz me through a PM.

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot