Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Head geometry and its relationship to gravity and haberdasheries

Classified00

Familiar Face
This year I started wearing proper sized hats instead of caps. I have noticed that, without any help from me, all of my hats seem to gradually tilt to the left just enough to touch the tip of my ear. Yes, I checked to make sure that my left ear wasn't disproportionately large ;) Yes the hats are sized right ;)

Is this sort of thing common? Do people fall into distinct groups like lefties, righties, fronties, backies and levelies? [huh]

Just curious,
:)

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I'm a lefty just like you described. Not only does that slant add panache but it does seem to sometimes be a result of certain head shapes. I know my head is knotty and a hat is usually more comfortable with the ol' Southside Slide goin' on. Also, my right eyebrow tends to ride up a lot so it gives it room to move.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Classified welcome.......without pics I can only imagine...

is it something like this:

HatTilt.gif

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Classified,
I believe you have to take into consideration the damned wind we have around here in FW area. I find my hats listing to one side but then I'll take note of my attitude and realize my whole body is tilted 12-15 degrees to counter the wind.

Of course, I have had many people tell me heads not on right........

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
A lot of people think that if your hat doesn't have a tilt to it you're not wearing it properly. Check out good old Spencer Tracy in any movie he ever did. He makes tilting his hat a major part of every character.

Goose.

Practically Family
HarpPlayerGene said:
... I know my head is knotty ...
Always thought you were a bit on the knotty side :)

Sometimes one ear is lower than the other. My barber will tell ya that about me.

But, in Gene's case, he's just knotty :p lol
devil-emoticon.gif

Mario

I'll Lock Up
1. I love to tilt my hats (always going for that rakish look... ;))
2. Using aviation terms, I not only tend to roll, I also pitch - but rarely ever bank.
3. My left ear sits higher up on my noggin than the right.
4. Because of 3., I tend to roll my hat to the right, as it gives me more leeway to maneuver.
5. If there is wind coming from the other side, I might just as well roll the hat over to the left.
6. Same applies for pitch.
7. If the wind gets too strong, I turn on the autopilot: I just put the hat on straight and pull it down so that it sits really snug.
8. Addendum to 7.: I do have a wind trolley on some of my hats but I never use it.
9. There you go

;) :D

OddSteve

Familiar Face
No matter what I do, my hats always end up slightly tilted to the right on my noggin.
When I try to set them level, I have to fiddle around in front of the mirror, and then it feels uncomfortable. Must be the shape of my head. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass