Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Headin' to NYC tomorrow, Wife's friend won Letterman Tickets....

cowboy76

Suspended
So I'm heading to NYC tomorrow with the wife to sit in on a taping of the David Letterman show,..wife's friend won tickets, so a bunch of their friends and I are going. Taping is at 2pm, so i guess we have to be there ready at 1:45?? First I'm getting up nice and early to see my good friend Frank, my barner (see inmy avatar). he was in the hospital a while back, but he said he'd be back cutting hair tomarrow. So I'm getting a trim, then heading to the big apple baby!

Anway, I went to school there for a year and used to hang in the city years ago. Been a few years since I last visited, 4-5 yrs I'd say. Any cool retro-vintage stuff you NYC cats can shoot my way that the locals know of to do? I know I remember "Cheap Jacks" vintage from years ago,...is it still around? Are there any other cool places, vintage shops, old theaters, cool old bookstores, record shops (maybe with 78s??),good eats,etc. etc. that I may not know about that you folks can clue me into?? There's always something new to learn about!!

Thanks guys!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The Brill Building

The Brill Building is very close to the Ed Sullivan Theater. It has a record store on the ground floor that is amazing, Colony Records.
It should be a nice day for a stroll down Broadway. Going the opposite direction, the new Time Warner complex at Columbus Circle is pretty impressive. I'd suggest getting there more than 15 minutes early, at least a half hour would be my guess, I believe they give you some sort of orientation before hand. Sounds like fun. Give Dave my best regards.

Feraud

Bartender
J&J Hat Center. 32nd and 5th.
Cheap Jack's. 31st and 5th.
Strand Bookstore. Between 12 - 13st. and Broadway.
Sarge's Deli. Between 36-37st. & 3rd. avenue.

cowboy76

Suspended
Feraud said:
J&J Hat Center. 32nd and 5th.
Cheap Jack's. 31st and 5th.
Strand Bookstore. Between 12 - 13st. and Broadway.
Sarge's Deli. Between 36-37st. & 3rd. avenue.

Oh that's right I totally forgot about Strand,...man, how could I I used to hang out there a lot! Great bookstore!!

RIOT

Practically Family
There is nothing cheap about Cheap Jacks but yeah it is still around, though moved to 31st as Feraud indicated. Check out Stella's on Thompson, they used to have some real nice ties there, might still be there. Generation Records is a few steps from there as well.

cowboy76

Suspended
just got back from NYC. We sure need more time up there,..boy its been a long time since I last visited!!!

Hey, not sure how many know this but a really cool old bar seems to be ,..GONE?? Chumley's,....we went there and there was construction scaffold outside, and the front was boarded up with plywood. Not sure if its closed for good or just renovating/fixing things???

Was a REAL let down!!!

However, we made out way to McSorely's!! WOW! All I can say is that if you want to hit an awsome and VERY OLD bar,....GO!!! It was great,...beer was great,...made you feel good!!! Awesome place!!:eusa_clap

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Roseland is right next door to the Ed Sullivan Theater, that I know.

I'd really go there an hour or two before taping and check in. Two to be on the safe side. As far as I know, tickets do not guarantee admission.

That's from various online Letterman fan sites and message boards. I've been a fan of Dave's since his 1980 morning show, but I've never seen him live.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
McSorley's!

Yeah, McSorley's dates back to like 1854. It's the oldest bar in NY. Second oldest is White Horse tavern, in the west Village. They'll show you the seat where Dylan Thomas sat and polished off 22 scotches before staggering off into the night and dropping dead. Those 2 plus P.J. Clarks's are like the Stations of the Cross to all serious two fisted drinkers. You could add Fannelli's too, I think.
I hope you get to the city again some time soon. I missed Matt when he was here, but I want to meet fellow Loungers when possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff