Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Headscarf

Eleanor Marie

One of the Regulars
Ladies, I want to wear a headscarf for when I am camping and having bad hair days?! I also want to wear one when we are going about in our convertible classic car - any tips please?!

G

GoldLeaf

That's how I wear mine but a little more like Rosie with some fringe and the scarf a bit further back with more ear showing. I even got a compliment from the band Blue October for my unique style lol

The often referenced Nocturn page talks about a few ways to wear a head scarf. I usually leave out my fringe and curl it. You could also do a little pompadour.

Key: Keep your ear tops covered!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
It was popular for sportswear in the 1930's to wear the scarves tied under the chin:
sport23.jpg

Or wrapped up and around like a turban, or up a la Rosie, as mentioned earlier.

Etienne

A-List Customer
This will be ancient history for most of you, but here goes...My Mom used to wear scarves all the time when I was very young (in the early 50's)--and she wore one to cover up her hair when it was in rollers or pin-curls. I think it looked like one "Ethyl Mertz" wears, or Lucy might wear, in I Love Lucy. She'd take a fairly large cotton type scarf, fold it in half on the diagonal (like a triangle) and place it on while her head was bent down, with the middle tip of the triangle at about her nose. Then she'd pull up the other two ends and they would meet at the area where your bangs begin, tying them into a knot over the piece still touching the nose. She'd raise her head, and then push back the loose piece over the knot and tie the ends again. The tiny bit of the tip would get tucked behind the firmly tied knot and her entire head would be covered, except for bangs, if she chose to leave them out. I have clear memories of her going out to the local roller rink (where she was a "regular") one night, and she had on long, taupe colored wide leg trousers, a champagne colored silk shirt and her long hair done up in the scarf described above. She was STUNNING!!

Rosie

One Too Many
When I wore my hair straight, I wore a scarf on windy days to protect my hairstyle.

Now that I'm natural, I mostly only wear a gele
karenonelove.jpg

afgrandtan.jpg
when cleaning my house, out in the garden or on days when I think I may be around some not so good energies.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rosie said:
When I wore my hair straight, I wore a scarf on windy days to protect my hairstyle.

Now that I'm natural, I mostly only wear a gele
karenonelove.jpg

afgrandtan.jpg
when cleaning my house, out in the garden or on days when I think I may be around some not so good energies.

I always have love the way that looks but have no idea how to do it...tips?

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I've always wanted to do a cute headscarf thing, but I never know what type of outfit to wear it with. What do you ladies suggest for a Rosie the Riveter headscarf deal or the turban ones? Casual, obviously! But still, it's one of the few looks that I'm not brave enough to wear outside!

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Most Iowa working class women in the late 40's, early 50's, my mother included, wore headscarves like a babushka, I wore those things to grade and high school on the coldest days. Didn't keep my very warm.

To this day, I won't wear a head scarf, but have lots of lovely silk scarves I wear around my neck. Looking at some of the more hip, modern styles, I should give them a second look, but still resist them because of the old-lady peasant association.

My mother still wears them like that. She is 87.

karol

Rosie

One Too Many
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I always have love the way that looks but have no idea how to do it...tips?

For the first one: put your hair into a ponytail or, you can leave it loose. Take a square piece of frabric, about two yards, I like the kind that has a little stretch in it. Fold the square over into a triangle, put the triangle on your head with the middle pointy part pointing towards your back. Take the two flaps, other sides of the triangle and cross them in the back of your head like you are going to tie your shoelace but tie it OVER the third pointy piece. Then, take the excess fabric from the pinty piece and tuck into the tied fabric. Bring the two ties around the bunch made by the first tie and tie those two pieces together, then tuck the loose ends in.

Geesh, that sounds so complicated. :eek: Let me see if I can find some pics for you.

Rosie

One Too Many

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner