Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

health & Beauty

lindylady

A-List Customer
It is scary, but until the FDA takes action, what can we do? [huh] It's amazing how seemingly harmless cosmetic items have all these dangerous ingredients.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great, just what I want to do, put carcinogens in my body every day. I've been using the new Burt's Bees shampoos and ocnditioners to avoid sodium lauryl sulfate, but I guess I need some new ingredients to avoid on my list.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Great, just what I want to do, put carcinogens in my body every day. I've been using the new Burt's Bees shampoos and ocnditioners to avoid sodium lauryl sulfate, but I guess I need some new ingredients to avoid on my list.

I've been using the Burt's Bees as well. But, I'm not all that happy with it. My hair doesn't curl as nicely and seems less manageable. I guess all the junk that they put in other brands does actually do something other than give you cancer, it makes my hair look better, and that's what counts, isn't it?:p

My sister only uses Burts Bees on my nephew. I think that this is great, and he smells so yummy. I love there lotions, unlike their shampoos, they work, at least on my and my 2 year old nephew:D

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Daisy Buchanan said:
I've been using the Burt's Bees as well. But, I'm not all that happy with it. My hair doesn't curl as nicely and seems less manageable. I guess all the junk that they put in other brands does actually do something other than give you cancer, it makes my hair look better, and that's what counts, isn't it?:p

My sister only uses Burts Bees on my nephew. I think that this is great, and he smells so yummy. I love there lotions, unlike their shampoos, they work, at least on my and my 2 year old nephew:D

daisy, i think i've tried every natual shampoo on the market, and my favorite one is by nature's gate. i liked shikai okay as well. i'm lucky to have a food co-op nearby so i can buy a small amount from the bulk before committing to a 16oz myself!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I take this kind of thing with a grain of salt. To wit:

The battle comes back to science. Research on chemicals in cosmetics is spotty. Many compounds have never been studied. Others are linked to cancer or birth defects in animals but not people -- or show a link to cancer, but at far higher doses than the levels present in cosmetics. In fact, the studies making the airtight case connecting compounds to cancer are few.​
Sometimes the "solution" can be worse than the "problem." One responder to the article said, "I drink reverse-osmosis water now. So do my cats! I lug large containers from the water store." I'd rather drink from the tap and save my rotator cuffs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran