Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hearst Castle

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Kind of random but I was thinking of heading down to do the Hearst Castle tour some time in the near future. I’m not quite a shutter bug but I would be willing to take some pictures of the tip if any one was curious what it’s like.

hearst_castle.jpg

Quote: Wikipedia

"Herst" inherited the ranch, which had grown to 250,000 acres (1000 km¬?), from his mother, Phoebe Apperson Hearst, upon her death in 1919. Construction began that same year and continued through 1947, when he stopped living at the estate due to ill health. San Francisco architect Julia Morgan designed most of the buildings. Hearst was an inveterate tinkerer, and would tear down structures and rebuild them at a whim, so the estate was never completed in his lifetime.

Invitations to Hearst Castle were highly coveted during its heyday in the 1920s and '30s. The Hollywood and political elite often visited, usually flying into the estate's airfield or taking a private Hearst-owned train car from Los Angeles. Charlie Chaplin, Cary Grant, the Marx Brothers, Charles Lindbergh, Joan Crawford, Calvin Coolidge, and Winston Churchill were among Hearst's A-list guests.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
LuckyKat said:
Check out my post from a few weeks ago. I was planning on going on 11/19.

Hey that's great. if there are still tickets for that date maybe we could meet up!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Vermifuge said:
I’m not quite a shutter bug but I would be willing to take some pictures of the tip if any one was curious what it’s like.

I don't think they allow flash photography in the building.

MissMissy

One of the Regulars
They definately don't allow flash, my husband got yelled at twice for itlol before he could figure out how to turn it off. I thought it was beautiful there. I wish someone would live there though. I don't like the idea of homes (mansions, castles, or otherwise) being attractions like that. I think some rich eccentric should be living there throwing glamorous parties and inviting me! :p

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
As I recall, the State of California at first turned the place down when the descendants of Hearst offered it. And I imagine it was offered because they couldn't afford insurance, property tax and upkeep. However, the State of California finally accepted it and it has become the only money-making property that it owns.

Haversack

One Too Many
There are two swimming pools at San Simeon. There is the indoor pool shown in Lena's post, and there is the outdoor Neptune Pool. The Indoor pool is out behind the main house under the tennis courts. Although is it the same 10' depth its entire length, there is an optical illusion that makes the end you are standing at look shallow. This may have been planned. Hearst was something of a practical joker and would have disolving bathing suits on hand to occassionaly loan out to guests who didn't bring one. By the way, the outdoor pool is not kept heated.

Haversack.

Snookie

Practically Family
FYI, the tours go fairly fast and they don't allow you to go off on your own, so if you want lots of pics you'll have to ignore the tour guide a little and snap while she/he is talking. There's no opportunity to return to any of the locations after the tour (some of my friends missed out on some great photo ops b/c they thought they would go back later).

I went once when I was little, and was freaked out by the dark rooms. I thought it was really oppressive. But now I love it, the Castle is one of my favorite trips. I'd love to see your pictures!

Haversack

One Too Many
True. All the different tours are tightly scheduled so the different groups do not bump into each other as they move through the complex of buildings and grounds. There are also a significant number of areas which are not on any tour. Most of the impressive stuff is however.

Haversack.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good you got tickets in advance since they don't always have room on tours. And there are about 3-4 different tours that go through different areas so to see it all return trips are necessary, and fun.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn