Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heather and Yon...

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just reviving this thread a bit after I saw @Tukwila's Mallory heather today. Decided to add the heathers I've posted recently.
Hückel Melé homburg in a dark grey heather felt with a semi-longhair finish. Brim sits at 5,5cm and crown 11cm at the center dent. There is more taper than usual on this hat, which is why I put these old-fashioned looking side pinches in it. Gorgeous hand to the felt and the liner is still sewn in. It doesn't have the usual Hückel Welheim size tag and hanging cord. Early sixties would be my guess.
h%C3%BCckel-mele_01-jpg.181508
Thanks, Stephan!

While in Mt Angel for the Oktoberfest, we walked through a huge barn with 65 cubicles full of antiques. I found a great silk Hawaiian shirt, but I was too big for it...

But I did find a 50s?, fairly lightweight, sans liner Mallory Ten with heathered felt, and a triple-stitched overwelt. Nice little hat. It has a double-wrapped cord for a hatband, which I would change up.... but we'll see.

i-SrQsMBB-L.jpg

i-MXjs8mm-L.jpg

i-2dGVMXW-L.jpg

i-tfj5sFc-L.jpg

i-PNFrR4G-L.jpg

i-XvsDHVG-L.jpg

i-ZxcpXVn-L.jpg

i-4r8XN62-L.jpg

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
F4FC8226-8CE2-4753-898B-BEC770C7F7D9.jpeg
A feather heather bump.
Blue label Lee, maybe 50s. Dubbed the, “Bon Voyage”.
The felt is so light, malleable and soft.
Has endured numerous moth bites, but in this mottled felt they hide better. Plugged most of them, though I’m not real good at it.
Wish it was my size as I love this unique hat!
After messaging this wonderful felt I will definitely be on the lookout for a heather I can keep. I’ve always wanted a vintage wide brimmed one, but they’re more limited than usual.
6DC06201-66A7-4D73-9E79-505356FFC67E.jpeg

This Water Bloc is one lovely, light Lee lid.
D8C0095D-1391-4F28-912E-443C77F830D8.jpeg
DE56491D-E17E-4B0D-8C65-6ACA46F5B829.jpeg
4DBC45C9-8159-4802-9EDC-A5878ACCBB4C.jpeg

View attachment 278269 A feather heather bump.
Blue label Lee, maybe 50s. Dubbed the, “Bon Voyage”.
The felt is so light, malleable and soft.
Has endured numerous moth bites, but in this mottled felt they hide better. Plugged most of them, though I’m not real good at it.
Wish it was my size as I love this unique hat!
After messaging this wonderful felt I will definitely be on the lookout for a heather I can keep. I’ve always wanted a vintage wide brimmed one, but they’re more limited than usual.
View attachment 278268
This Water Bloc is one lovely, light Lee lid. View attachment 278254 View attachment 278257 View attachment 278262
What a great hat. I would be inclined, at the risk of banishment from the tribe, to have it sized to fit me. Put an insert into the leather sweat to size up and keep the original in place.....not the best aesthetically but what the hell it is your hat.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
What a great hat. I would be inclined, at the risk of banishment from the tribe, to have it sized to fit me. Put an insert into the leather sweat to size up and keep the original in place.....not the best aesthetically but what the hell it is your hat.
It is a fairly unique fedora, Belfastboy. Thanks.
I’m not particularly fond of desecrating a nice Lee, or any surviving vintage hats, but, any would be banishers are welcome to save this hat by buying it on eBay. If it doesn’t sell for a decent price, and if I’m so inclined, it may end up with more of a remodel than a one size stretch from 1/8 to 1/4.

It is a fairly unique fedora, Belfastboy. Thanks.
I’m not particularly fond of desecrating a nice Lee, or any surviving vintage hats, but, any would be banishers are welcome to save this hat by buying it on eBay. If it doesn’t sell for a decent price, and if I’m so inclined, it may end up with more of a remodel than a one size stretch from 1/8 to 1/4.

I just finished resizing two hats for friend, 7 1/8 up to 7 3/8. They were his father's hats and he didn't know a hat could be resized upwards. He is thrilled as he now gets to wear them instead of having ornaments on a shelf. I spliced in a piece of leather sweat so he retained the original leather sweat and kept it with as much original provenance as possible. I consider this to be a good thing. That might be a great marketing campaign....'Save this hat.....or I resize it by noon tomorrow!"

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
I just finished resizing two hats for friend, 7 1/8 up to 7 3/8. They were his father's hats and he didn't know a hat could be resized upwards. He is thrilled as he now gets to wear them instead of having ornaments on a shelf. I spliced in a piece of leather sweat so he retained the original leather sweat and kept it with as much original provenance as possible. I consider this to be a good thing. That might be a great marketing campaign....'Save this hat.....or I resize it by noon tomorrow!"

So glad you could help the guy out!
I, too, consider any hat made to suit the current owner/wearer a good thing. But am also in deep respect of old, original vintage hats. A hard thing for me to balance as a hat refurbisher/remodeler.
Any hardened traditionalist, but not a sold out conformist will find it a tough gig dealing with those who aren’t at all flexible. Guess for me, it’s on a hat by hat, person by person basis.
I also respect anyone’s honorable dissenting views on this issue, yet hope none get started here.

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
Hall & Co. London expressly made for Sools Paris:
Wonderful, thick but soft and in addition heathered fur felt;
size 57 (cm) or 5 (French) (somewhat shrunk);
height centre dent at 10.5 cm; unbound brim at 5.0 cm
The hat is in good condition but unfortunately has a couple
of small mothbites - hardly noticeable with the great felt.
The brim is a bit uneven - maybe trimmed later!?
But the look and dimensions make it a wonderful example
of a (late) 30s sporty fedora - in my opinion. You Gentlemen!?

41521848tg.jpg

41521846oz.jpg

41521844ui.jpg

41521843fy.jpg

41521842ac.jpg

41521841ly.jpg

41521839yr.jpg

41521840pp.jpg

41521838wa.jpg

41521837id.jpg

41521836fe.jpg

This one has been posted before, but not in this thread.
Super Bantam Cervo Loden misto Dancalia (now there's a mouthful) fedora. Size 57 with the raw edge brim at 5,5cm and the center dent at 10,5cm. Unlined and NOS. The ribbon is made of a thinned version of the same felt and they made a traditional bow out of it too, which is not something you usually see with these felted ribbons. Weighs 107 grams. Some very nice finishing and attention to detail on this one, like the corded sweatband bow and the hanging loop.

cervo loden_01.jpg

cervo loden_02.jpg

cervo loden_03.jpg

cervo loden_04.jpg

cervo loden_06.jpg

cervo loden_07.jpg

cervo loden_09.jpg

cervo loden_10.jpg

cervo loden_11.jpg

cervo loden_12.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads