Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hello hello

garenb

New in Town
Hi there, I've been lurking around for about a month now, and I figure it's about time I said "hello."

I've been wearing a cheap straw fedora (I'll post a pic if you want) for about 2 months, and I've gotten some nice compliments. I've been really enjoying wearing that hat. So much so, that I ordered my first "real hat" last week from village hat shop (it should arrive on Tuesday).

Well, while going about some errands today I stumbled upon a store here in Tampa that sells hats. It's the first store I've come across and it was purely by accident. Of course I walked out with a new hat, but not after spending 45 minutes talking to the owner and trying on several. I really learned what I like, and what looks good on me. I probably spent more than I would have if I bought the same hat online, but the personal attention I got in store was worth it. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post store names, if it's ok, I will.

Needless to say, after trying on so many today and learning what I like, I may be exchanging the hat I ordered from VHS. We'll see. ;)

Well, that is my long winded hello. And now, a pic of the hat I bought today.

cheers,
-Garen

P7170030.png

jbucklin

Practically Family
Hi Garen, and welcome to the Lounge. You will find lots of friendly, helpful hat lovers here, that always love to answer newbie questions (I'm pretty new to hats too). Nice lid, btw.:eusa_clap

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That is one of the coolest looking ribbons I've seen on the forum. That, along with the Dobbs adverts in the Dobbs Diner thread, have made me very interested in multi-tone ribbons. I wonder if Art Fawcett has those...
Anyway, I like the hat, especially the bash.

What is the brand and model of the hat that's on the way?
...Or is it a surprise?

garenb

New in Town
Neophyte, thanks for the compliments. The hat that's on the way is just a Jaxon C-crown. I know it's cheap, and wool... but I wanted to dip my toes into the hat water slowly, but I think with todays purchase I dove right in.

BTW, the hat in the pic above is Capas Headwear. Has anyone heard of them? Is it a real brand? I'm assuming it is because it sat alongside Dobbs and Stetsons, and it has a Made In USA tag.

Welcome to the Lounge

Welcome! There are a lot of good guys here and many eager to help you with your questions. I'm sure you'll enjoy the stay.... As another Lounger said to me....welcome to the addiction....lol

And an addiction it is.....

ScionPI2005 said:
Welcome to the Lounge Garen! That's a cool hat you found, I like the ribbon. Definitely post often; you'll learn lots here!

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
garenb said:
Neophyte, thanks for the compliments. The hat that's on the way is just a Jaxon C-crown. I know it's cheap, and wool... but I wanted to dip my toes into the hat water slowly, but I think with todays purchase I dove right in.

BTW, the hat in the pic above is Capas Headwear. Has anyone heard of them? Is it a real brand? I'm assuming it is because it sat alongside Dobbs and Stetsons, and it has a Made In USA tag.

Hey man, don't worry about being judged for wool hats. I myself, if I hadn't heard of the Akubra Federation IV, would have bought the Jaxon Iconoclast. I'm not sure if it's wool or fur, but it was the look I was going for. Just enjoy yourself, that's what it's all about.
I have heard of Capas, but I assumed that, looking at their hat models, they are a newer brand. I have to say I've not done much research into them, so I don't know anything about them other than the name.

MCrider

A-List Customer
Several others have commented on the ribbon on your new hat... And I will too! Actually the hat itself is good looking on you, but the ribbon really sets it off. Most summer style hats that I've seen have a single color ribbon, but that ribbon really draws you in for a second look. Looks to me like you made an excellent choice. Wear it in health sir.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
garenb said:
I've been really enjoying wearing that hat. So much so, that I ordered my first "real hat" last week from village hat shop (it should arrive on Tuesday).

Contrary to popular opinion, all hats are real!

Welcome, welcome!

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Welcome, GarenB, welcome to the addiction.

Sorry to be critical right off the bat, but since you are a hat newbie, my first piece of advice is to hold your horses. The Capas you bought is an OK brand and looks all right on you, and the forthcoming Jaxon wool C-crown is a decent hat, but you will "graduate" out of this initial phase, hopefully quickly, and then wish you'd saved your money for better hats--the kind that will last many years and that you will be really proud of.

In a way, it's good you have a local hattery (Please post the name here, as it's not only permitted but encouraged; post what you paid, too.) because they can help you with selecting a style that's flattering. On the other hand, retailers tend to sell you what they have in stock, which may not be the better quality hats or what looks best on you.

If you're like most, you will, over time, migrate towards taller crowns, wider brims, and top quality chapeaus, eventually purchasing a custom/bespoke and/or vintage. Spending time here will greatly accelerate that process.

Again, I extend a hearty welcome, but I just hate to see a newbie throw away good money due to the excitement and gotta-have-it factor anything novel incites.

garenb

New in Town
AlterEgo, I appreciate your frankness. True, I did succumb to a bit of impulse, but I'm sure this is only the beginning of many more hats to come. :)

Anyway, the name of the shop I came across is "Mr. Man" located off of Fowler Rd in Tampa. I paid $55 for that hat.

Feraud

Bartender
garenb said:
Well, while going about some errands today I stumbled upon a store here in Tampa that sells hats. It's the first store I've come across and it was purely by accident. Of course I walked out with a new hat, but not after spending 45 minutes talking to the owner and trying on several. I really learned what I like, and what looks good on me. I probably spent more than I would have if I bought the same hat online, but the personal attention I got in store was worth it. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post store names, if it's ok, I will.

Finding a brick and mortar shop is a great way to try on a selection of hats to see what fits your face and style. I always advocate doing this if at all possible.

Welcome to the Lounge.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
garenb said:

Welcome to the Lounge and I've heard of Capas although I've never have seen one in real life. That looks like a pretty good hat to me. Should protect the sun from beating down on your head this Summer.

MCrider

A-List Customer
AlterEgo said:
my first piece of advice is to hold your horses. The Capas you bought is an OK brand and looks all right on you, and the forthcoming Jaxon wool C-crown is a decent hat, but you will "graduate" out of this initial phase, hopefully quickly, and then wish you'd saved your money for better hats--the kind that will last many years and that you will be really proud of.

Good advice to draw back a bit so you're not buying every hat you see. On the other hand most of us probably started with a woolie as we got our feet wet in wearing hats. Although I agree that you don't want to waste money unneccessarily, I also would hate to see anyone spend a hundred or more and then decide that wearing hats is something they just don't feel comfortable with... unless they have a 7 3/8 hat size, then my advice changes to buy all the expensive hats you want and I'll take them off you hands at a depreciated value!

:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen