Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hello

Physicist

New in Town
Pleased to meet you.

This thread will serve two purposes. The first, my introduction.

Yes, I really am a physicist. I'll be finishing my dissertation in a few months.

I'm a fairly old-fashioned guy. I like fedoras, trench coats, leather jackets. And I shave with a straight razor. I ride a Harley and drive a muscle car. I smoke Cuban cigars, drink bourbon and scotch straight, eat my steaks "Pittsburgh rare", and I dig foreign dames. And I don't buy anything made in China.

I'm a fan of John Wayne, Humphrey Bogart, Steve McQueen, the Rat Pack, the Three Stooges and Phoebe Cates.

I enjoy SCUBA diving, skydiving, hiking, rock climbing, and being a smart ass.

The second purpose of this thread is for you to help me identify this.

whatisit.jpg

What the hell is it?

Last edited:

Physicist

New in Town
That's the only pic I have.

I even posted it on physicsforums, which has, as you would imagine, a lot of scientists. And the object in the photo appears to be lab equipment.

Nobody there knew what it was.

Pulling the chain appears to move the lower tong. The tongs, it seems, are meant to hold something. There are notches on the outside of them. Pulling the chain, it would seem, would release the tension on the tongs allowing whatever is being held to be removed. Maybe heat is involved, which is why the chain is needed.

Somebody suggested an antique microscope. But I checked them out, and this object doesn't seem to be consistent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot