Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help a guy out - what's a good Akubra?

Spats McGee

One Too Many
That looks like a Banjo Paterson, but I'm not sure. I think the Campdraft would also suit your needs.

But . . . no live ebay auctions, please.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
memphislawyer said:
Im kinda in the same range, wanting an Akubra. I have a Stetson saxon in Caribou for suits and dress stuff, but want something for Khakis, weekends, jaunts to the grocery store, but yet, versatile to wear with a sportscoat.

edited, sorry
Thanks for removing the link. I'm almost certain that's a BP.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Ill go check my pms. Anyway, I am thinking the BP is not me, as the ribbon is too thin. I think the prices on the Akubras, at $90 or so, are great compared to $140 for the Stetson I paid. I am thinking taupe or brown for my second hat, but since it will be banged up some and in rain (Ill baby the Stetson) guidance would be appreciated.

memphislawyer said:
Ill go check my pms. Anyway, I am thinking the BP is not me, as the ribbon is too thin. I think the prices on the Akubras, at $90 or so, are great compared to $140 for the Stetson I paid. I am thinking taupe or brown for my second hat, but since it will be banged up some and in rain (Ill baby the Stetson) guidance would be appreciated.
I'd go for Taupe Fawn. Silver Belly is a real light tan & Mid-Brown is a darkish brown with Olive hues. If I were to buy another Campdraft & it were NOT a Moonstone (hint, hint), it would be the Taupe Fawn.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
A good Akubra is

Trustworthy

Loyal

Helpful

Friendly

Courteous

Kind

Obedient

Cheerful

Thrifty

Brave

Clean

Reverent

I honestly can't think of a bad Akubra out there. It does, though, appear that some Akubras could use a little more learn'n - or wear'n* - than others :cool:.

*just ask Goose

Akubra

Familiar Face
You can't go wrong with the territory, that was my latest Akubra. I also have a Snowy River and a Cattleman. The Cooper Peedy would be another great one.

You really can't go wrong with an Akubra. BTW don't worry about rain. I have soaked all of mine repeatedly and they are none the worse for wear.

Akubra said:
.... BTW don't worry about rain. I have soaked all of mine repeatedly and they are none the worse for wear.
:arated: I swear my Akubras get BETTER after each soaking, especially my Campdrafts. I've had a Riverina that has served me so well as a hunting hat = seen lots of precipitation & rough use.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Ditto on what others have said - rain won't hurt them a bit and they'll keep getting better. Either Imperial or Heritage felts. I do think that, eventually, you might end up doing a bit of stretching on the Imperial felts to keep them to size, but not have to on the Heritage. And maybe tapering could be a different issue over the long haul...but wear them without worries!

- Bill

jkoerner

New in Town
What is the black hat in the middle?

Three of my favorite hats are Akubra lids. Two of those three are Federation IV's. And, they happen to be the Dark Brown and Moonstone.

Someday, when I get over my thin ribbon complex, I may order a Campdraft...until then; I'd put Fed on my head.

556303073_NZ3pa-S.jpg

What is the middle hat please?

Edward

Bartender
Any Akubra is a good Akubra.
Johnny

Srsly, nearly 40 posts on the thread before someone came up with this???

;)

My favourite Akubras are the Feds and the Campdrafts.... Also very fond of both my Capricorns (currently got them both in Beijing, perfect hats for hot, dry weather).
In terms of a fedora, if only the Fed came in a few more colours and with a few brim binding and alternative ribbon options, I doubt I'd feel the need of another hat. Well... I'd also love another Rap in moonstone...

birdhunter

New in Town
I have a banjo and a leisure time different colors and quality but identical shape and brim size. Love them both and though the banjo is a little nicer the leisure time is more comfortable because it's less stiff. The banjo is still breaking in

T

insomniac

New in Town
Hi,

So I have a few Akubras. I have a Sydney/Fedora in charcoal, and a Stylemaster in Regency Fawn. I find the latter color very versatile as it goes well with khakis, and also with green-ish shirts. Now I'd like a color that would go well with my blue shirts. Do you think the 'moonstone grey' would do the trick or should I look at something else?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo