Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help for picking fountain pens

Triumph style nib

The fountain pen has a Triumph style nib that wraps around the base of the pen feed. I did not see what type of fller it has, It may need restoration, do you have a pen shop that does restoration work nearby or is there a pen club you can seek advice nearby?

D

DeaconKC

John, I used a cheapie back in High School and haven't touched one since. I am a TOTAL noob when it comes to these, but my writing is so bad, I need something to make me slow down and at least attempt to be legible!

Edward

Bartender
RJCNTX said:
Okay folks, I'm looking for a push in the right direction.

I have not had the time to read the post start to finish yet, so I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere.

I write left. I have always wanted to try a fountain pen and love the thought of using one but I have been afraid because it just seems the ink would smear all over the place. I don't know how it can work writing as a lefty.

Are there pens specifically for this or is there something I'm missing that would allow me to use one of these fine pens?

I'm left handed too, and have always written with a standard RH pen. I hold a pen a bit backwards (leaning out away from me, nib facing me, or at least my right shoulder), don't have a problem. The trick is ink that dries quickly.... most modern washable stuff will do that.

French

Familiar Face
you've just stepped onto a slippery slope, Mr. Jones

Hemingway Jones said:
I picked up a new Scheaffer Valor in Silver and so far it is my new favorite and constant companion!

Mr. Jones,

Welcome to the wonderful world of fountain pens. I'm sure you are already aware of Bromfield Pen Shop in Boston, but, just in case, here is their webpage: http://www.bromfieldpenshop.com/home/

Enjoy the pen, but be careful, as they tend to be like potato chips, you can't stop at just one.

French

Edward

Bartender
John in Covina said:
I think they call that the hook method.

Sounds about right. I'm a lot less extreme than some - some of the lefty kids I grew up with wrote with their arm curled - 'hooked' - so far round it was almost as if they were writing right handed.

D

DeaconKC

Well, a good one came my way.....a Waterman Harley Davidson, writes wonderfully.
HDWaterman001.jpg

Edward

Bartender
That Harley is a good looking pen. I have a Harley-branded fountain pen that Dad bought me some years back - great chunky thing, mine's a winey-red colour. Different design than yours. The quality of the pen is such I should expect that some good firm made it for Harley, but it only carries Harley branding. I wonder did Waterman produce it?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
French said:
Mr. Jones,

Welcome to the wonderful world of fountain pens. I'm sure you are already aware of Bromfield Pen Shop in Boston, but, just in case, here is their webpage: http://www.bromfieldpenshop.com/home/

Enjoy the pen, but be careful, as they tend to be like potato chips, you can't stop at just one.

French
Thanks Pal, I know the store well. The Sheaffer is far from my first fountain pen!
Thanks.

French

Familiar Face
then I'm sure you already know about FPN & Richard Binder

Hemingway Jones said:
Thanks Pal, I know the store well. The Sheaffer is far from my first fountain pen!
Thanks.

Glad to see the fountain pen bug has already bitten you. I'm sure you have seen the Fountain Pen Network (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com).

If you, or anyone else on FL has questions about fountain pens, I'm always happy to share my modest amount of knowledge, it is the least I can do to say thanks to the board that introduced me to, and taught me about real hats.

french

D

DeaconKC

Thank you Edward, it is a Waterman, warranty and all. Heavy chromed metal and writes superbly. Now if my penmanship was up to IT's standards.........:eek:

D

DeaconKC

And this showed up today, a set of Sheaffer Tuckaways.
sheaffertuck004.jpg

The reservoir seems to be still good too.:D

invention13

New in Town
Pelikan

I bought an M800 (black) on eBay a few years ago and I think it is the best writing pen I have ever used. They are too expensive in the stores - around $400 IIRC, but you can get one for less than half that on eBay if you are patient. The Aurora blue ink works very well in it - nice color and really creamy smooth.

invention13

New in Town
Fix Waterman Opera??

I have a Waterman Opera that I bought years ago and never use as it was dropped and suffered a little damage to the nib. I think it is repairable. I keep meaning to find someone to fix it, but haven't gotten around to it. It looks like a pretty good pen. Anyone know of a place that can fix it?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
invention13 said:
I have a Waterman Opera that I bought years ago and never use as it was dropped and suffered a little damage to the nib. I think it is repairable. I keep meaning to find someone to fix it, but haven't gotten around to it. It looks like a pretty good pen. Anyone know of a place that can fix it?

Its a bit far..but its in So Cal....which is closer then actually mailing it away (which is what most have to do)

Fred over at The Fountain Pen Shop, Unit #12, 2640 South Myrtle, Monrovia, California. (626)294-9974. Closed Mondays, open Saturdays till 3:00.

He fixed my Waterman Phileas nib that was bent when I dropped it and it -slid- into a door frame point first.

It's working perfectly again, and it was a while I waited thing. So worth the trip up. He can also tackle -any- repair..not just the simple stuff.

D

DeaconKC

Just got this in a trade, Sheaffer Balance Junior,it does like good old Quink and writes very nicely.
002-1.jpg

D

DeaconKC

This one was in the mail when I got home today. Loaded it up with Quink and it just became my new favorite pen. Nice weight and size for my large hand for under $25.00 delivered, for a Waterman, I am very pleased.
harleywaterman.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy