Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help for picking fountain pens

Parker 51 .

Phil said:
I do love fountain pens, they add a touch of class to what I write and they just feel more classy. Anyways, I was hoping I could get some help on selecting a practical fountain pen. Right now I have a Scheaffer fountain pen. It has a plastic body, a nice nib with a fairly even ink flow. I like it, but I feel like I am writing a symphony with a crayon sometimes. I can't afford a very fancy one, but I am looking for a practical pen that can last me for a while. So, I'm open to your suggestions and pointers.
Phil: look for a Parker 51 they are the all time greatest.

SGB

One of the Regulars
All this talk of newbies discovering fountain pens almost makes me want to dig one of mine out and fill it with ink. But, I have no use for one now as I don't write anything like I used to. I used to write memos with one instead of emails, back in my corporate days, everybody thought it was silly to do but they did like the pens. I used to draw and sketch with one too, easier to carry around than a bottle of ink and a crow quill pen. Mostly I just liked collecting them, I still have lots of vintage originals and nice new ones too. If you like to write, fountain pens are a fun way to go. I even used to sell them, when I was slumming in retail for awhile, which was real fun, but could get too one dimensional. Lately I have been selling a few at militaria shows, everyone needs a good fountain pen if you are collecting WWII stuff.

SGB

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A major component to how well a fountain pen, or any pen, writes is, of course, THE PAPER!

Have you ever noticed how a fine high-cotton paper brings out every nuance in your writing? It doesn't bleed, or allow the ink to flow too wide. Instead, it is a fluid thin line that can be expanded or contracted with the slightest application of pressure.

Paper that is too rough fouls the point, and makes you feel as if you are plowing through it with your nib.

Just some random thoughts for a Friday morning.

matei

One Too Many
My father introduced me to fountain pens. He has wonderful writing, and would offer custom writing in calligraphy (signs, documents etc) when I was a kid.

In spite of my awful handwriting, I really like fountain pens. What I look for in one is something that is ascetically pleasing, yet is comfortable to hold and write with.

For example - I have a German pen - a Diplomat or Pelikan or something - and I never use it. It looks great, but is very top heavy and just doesn't "flow".

I can vouch for the Waterman Phileas. They are great, inexpensive pens. Mine (about 15 years old) has a tendency to sweat or leak, regardless if I'm using a cartridge or an adapter.

However, my all-time fave is the Parker Vacumatic. Wonderful Art Deco styling - just looking at the design inspires me. My darling wife recently got me a mid '40s Parker Vacumatic set - pen and pencil, in emerald green. They look and write wonderfully, and leak less than any new pen that I own. They were reconditioned, so no issues with bent nibs or leaking seals.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hemingway Jones said:
A major component to how well a fountain pen, or any pen, writes is, of course, THE PAPER!

Have you ever noticed how a fine high-cotton paper brings out every nuance in your writing? It doesn't bleed, or allow the ink to flow too wide. Instead, it is a fluid thin line that can be expanded or contracted with the slightest application of pressure.

Paper that is too rough fouls the point, and makes you feel as if you are plowing through it with your nib.

Just some random thoughts for a Friday morning.
I hate some of the newer papers, some found in new journals, that make the pen ink look watery. You're on a rant, writing out something that needs to be said, and all of a sudden, SMUDGE.... So very annoying, so I concur with your thoughts on the necessity of having a great piece of paper.

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Two semesters ago I took a course called "Bookmaking" in which I wearned to...yes...make and bind a book (without glue like modern books)

Paper made today isnt designed to survive, Newspaper paper is probably the most substandard paper in the world and can yellow within a week. Its designed to be cost-effective because it's not designed to be kept (98% of papers are probably just thrown out same day), Computer paper is essentially worthless for storage purposes because bleach is used in its creation and it will eventually cause the ink to fade and the fibers to become brittle and fall apart.

For my book and for storage purposes I actually use my campus' papermaking shop to make "archive quality" paper. It uses no dyes and under proper care can last 500 years before requiring it to be sealed in an airtight box (a-la Declaration of Independence) its also sold on the market today and is kinda expensive but yer getting 500+ years for your investment...the perfect friend for your timeless pens :)

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
matei said:
However, my all-time fave is the Parker Vacumatic. Wonderful Art Deco styling - just looking at the design inspires me. My darling wife recently got me a mid '40s Parker Vacumatic set - pen and pencil, in emerald green. They look and write wonderfully, and leak less than any new pen that I own. They were reconditioned, so no issues with bent nibs or leaking seals.

I never have problems with leaking seals. All my seals are house broken.

I love the Vacumatics! I have a 1937 green-marbled Vacumatic which belonged to my grandfather which I had restored to perfect health, and a 1947 blue-striped Vac which writes just as smooth. Great pens...

Paper really can make or break a good ink line. I enjoy drawing on vellum paper because of the incredible line you can lay down on it...

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Just got my new Waterman... not really comprable to a Montblanc but hehe...this one I dont have to fear taking out of the box ^_-...

Found my new general purpose pen in it however :)

plyers to yank with

Maj.Nick Danger said:
I'm guessing it's okay, but what I have to do is improvise a pair of those special pliers for yanking the front end off, so I can get a look at what's up in there.

THey use a set of specialized plyers that are for removing car Spark Plug wires, The jaws are curved and have a soft gripping plastic to keep you from marring anything. Usually you heat the barrel alittle over a flame to expand it. BUT not if it is cellueloid.

Hemingway Jones said:
A major component to how well a fountain pen, or any pen, writes is, of course, THE PAPER! Have you ever noticed how a fine high-cotton paper brings out every nuance in your writing? It doesn't bleed, or allow the ink to flow too wide. Instead, it is a fluid thin line that can be expanded or contracted with the slightest application of pressure. Paper that is too rough fouls the point, and makes you feel as if you are plowing through it with your nib. Just some random thoughts for a Friday morning.

Some papers are not good for use with a fountain pen. These are papers that are coated chemically and can cause skipping. They may clog the nib and the nib will need cleaning. Recycled paper can have these chemicals as part of their original content and are not advised. Rough papers may catch the nib of a fine point or italic and can cause feathering of the ink when writing.

Crane Paper is super, Exacompta has Rhodia, Clairefountain and G. Lalo, WHich are all great. From Italy, do a web search for Amalfi Amamtruda which is awesome. Art paper will work too, I like Roselle #50121 Professional Drawing Pad, and from Fabriano Pastello Ingres Bianco Paper, So check out the art supply store. I got some from "John Neal Bookseller" which has super calligraphy supplies too.

Pooof!

scotrace said:

Well, not quite an explosion, but definately rapid and vigorous burning that ilicits terrified reflexive reactions by the surprised novice repairer.:eek:

Also once you smell it you'll never forget it, and you'll know why celluloid collars were banned. :eusa_doh:

Today's Pen selected

Today I am witing with an Esterbrook J model (1946-1949) in the marbled metalic green color using an ink color mixing Midnight Blue & Dakota Rose from Private Reserve.

This week I was writing with an old Wahl Oxford depression era pen from the 1930's that was a well used pen. Black with gold trim the gold is nearly all worn off. Whether well beloved or the pen of a frugal person the nib was probably damaged and replaced with what was available and would fit, a Sheaffer nib. It is a wonderfully smooth writer.

I also was using a Pelikan M215 with the verticle metal inlays. Lovely to write with, using PR's Orange Crush ink.

Daisy Buchanan

Parker Sonnet

As I've said numerous times, for a low priced fountain pen, one can't get any better than the Waterman Phileas. However, after a little breaking in, the ruby red and gold Parker Sonnet that I purchased last week is quite pleasing to scribe with. It is so smooth, the ink flow is just perfect; not too much to make writing look thick, not too little to cause breaks in my scribble that I call writing. I opted for the medium nib, for the ink flow, from what I read about it, is supposed to be a little better than the fine. It certainly doesn't feel/write like a medium, it is rather fine. I am glad I opted for this option, for I think anything smaller than the medium would be too fine. It also has a very nice balance to it, and the cap has a vaccuum effect in which it clips onto both ends of the pen with great strength. It is a beaustful, art deco inspired, writing instrument that seems to be of high quality, especially for the price.
I still love the Phileas. The fine nib on it is actually thicker than the medium nib of the Sonnet. But I can definitely tell the difference between the quality of the two. All and all I am very happy with it. Another great aspect, Levenger was having a rather big sale on all of their non-Levenger fountain pens, so I got the Sonnet for $40 off the list price. Apparantly they are getting rid of all pens that are not made by their company. So, to get rid of all of their stock, they are marking down all pens made by other companies. They have a beautiful collection, very wide range of product and companies. They actually had Mont Blanc pens for over 50% off. Check out their website. I'm not sure if the huge sale prices are available through it. But, if you have a store location near you, I highly recommend checking them out. I see it as a great opportunity to up the amount of fountain pens I have in my small collection. Also, at the store I was very impressed with the sales woman. She seemed to know an awful lot about all of the products they sold. I told her what I was looking for in a writing instrument, and she pointed both Hem and me in exactly the right direction. She also made sure that, before I made my decision, I had tried a few different brands and models. All of which had qualities that I was looking for. She just seemed to know exactly what I wanted, and gave me quite a few options and prices for comaparison. Overall, for a chain store, a very pleasant and informative experience.

Daisy Buchanan

My new Parker Sonnet Red Laquer Pen. I just found this on line at the Levenger site. The sale price is the same as at the store, however the actual list price on this pen and some of the others is cheaper on-line than it was at the store, by as much as $20. So, if you're plannnig on buying a pen from them that is not on sale, I'd suggest buying it on-line. Here's the link to some info on the Parker Sonnet and a few pictures of the pen in red and the gold nib.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Daisy Buchanan said:
Also, at the store I was very impressed with the sales woman. She seemed to know an awful lot about all of the products they sold. I told her what I was looking for in a writing instrument, and she pointed both Hem and me in exactly the right direction. She also made sure that, before I made my decision, I had tried a few different brands and models. All of which had qualities that I was looking for. She just seemed to know exactly what I wanted, and gave me quite a few options and prices for comaparison. Overall, for a chain store, a very pleasant and informative experience.

That's how a buying experience SHOULD be! The guys at Pen Haven are also just as helpful. They'll spend the time it takes for you to find a writing insrtument that suits you and they'll make sure it writes to your satisfaction, tweaking the nib on the spot before letting you walk out of the store with the pen.

Diasy, I'm glad you're finding pens to your liking and within your budget. One should be happy with his or her choice of pen, regardless of what it is. You'll find as you expand your pen collection, the quality and taste in pens will increase, too. Maybe we can all compare pens at the QM this year.;)

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Cheapie Fountain Pens

In my sojourn to the Flax Art and Supply store in San Francisco, I found two cheapie Sheaffer fountain pen. They had Fine and Medium and they were a whopping $2.97...they work well too. Talk about a cheapie Fountain Pen.

On another note, my young lady has found some pretty good economical choices as well, but I don't know if they're still available. She has very nice fountain pens to which I am somewhat envious. ;) But then again, that's good taste for you i suppose.

Jon

Dixon Cannon said:
If you're asking me what fountain pen a gentleman should consider for purchase, despite all the Cross's, the Waterman's and the Parker's, I will always suggest the Mont Blanc Meisterstuck.

b7499ed3.jpg

ABSOLUTELY!

It is the pen Presidents and Royalty sign treaties with.

I believe (feedback apreciated) it is the Pen Ronald Reagan and Michael Gorbatchev used to end the Cold War.
Possibly the pen that German General Blaskowitz used to end WWII in Europe. He surrendered to Allied forces on May 5th 1945.

THE lsit goes on and on and on......!

MONT BLANC, gold tip, fountain pen....nothing else. PERIOD! (for a gentleman that is.)

Dex

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
captaindex said:
Dixon Cannon said:
If you're asking me what fountain pen a gentleman should consider for purchase, despite all the Cross's, the Waterman's and the Parker's, I will always suggest the Mont Blanc Meisterstuck.

b7499ed3.jpg

ABSOLUTELY!

It is the pen Presidents and Royalty sign treaties with.

I believe (feedback apreciated) it is the Pen Ronald Reagan and Michael Gorbatchev used to end the Cold War.
Possibly the pen that German General Blaskowitz used to end WWII in Europe. He surrendered to Allied forces on May 5th 1945.

THE lsit goes on and on and on......!

MONT BLANC, gold tip, fountain pen....nothing else. PERIOD! (for a gentleman that is.)

Dex

Then all you gentlemen must be rich!

Can I please borrow your pen for a moment? *flutters eyelashes*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou