Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help!!! I hate the "kiss hello"

Weston

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
Weston is simply saying that he dislikes post-wedding touching by other women. He's not saying that he disliked being touched by women before he was married.

Bingo. And LaMedicine- I forgot about family. I see them none too often these days, but yes, family is fine. I have no children, but will be fine with their muddy little paws as they are my offspring. :) And Grandmother and Mom always get big hugs. And Grandmother is the only one who can expect a "peck on the cheek." :)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Marc Chevalier said:
The Frenchmen and women who are b.c.b.g. ("bon chic bon genre") -- the Gallic version of "preppy" -- never actually kiss each other's cheeks. One cheek barely brushes the other (or maybe there's a millimeter of space between them). No kiss is made, no lips are puckered, no smacking sounds defile the air. Call it a cheek brush.

'

Yes, that is exactly the form I think of as endearing.
(good brand of clothes, btw ;) )

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
I've tried a 'licking the neck' subsitute for the 'air kiss', but it's not going over particularly well. It's received only very slightly better than my 'No Pants Wednesdays' answer to 'Casual Fridays' in the workplace idea.

I think the air kiss would be novel. I've only seen it on TV. Ladies seem to get a huge charge out of the 'kissing the hand' deal, though I never know if it's supposed to be on the back of the hand or on the top of the fingers. I often start there and get stopped by the elbow... back in my single days anyway.

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
Spatterdash said:
Don't worry, citizens!
Spatsman will wrangle those random smooches!

If a woman leans a cheek in for a kiss, bend to her ear and softly say "Omigod, your hair smells like cookies!"
If a guy leans in, say the same thing. Tell me how that works out. I'm morbidly curious.

Heads up, parrots bite... real hard.

That sounds like something I would say! lol I've never seen that form of greeting in all my 29 years of living, except for maybe 1 or 2 times, among women only.

I will try the cookies line on some girl and let you know what happens. :D

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I would try saying something different about how the lady's hair smells. Cookies to me are ok, but thing of something that will really get her floating. Like, "OMG! your hair smells like wild orchids!"...much more complimentary. But I do wonder if saying the same thing to a guy would serve as a good compliment?!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Mr. Sable said:
Ladies seem to get a huge charge out of the 'kissing the hand' deal, though I never know if it's supposed to be on the back of the hand or on the top of the fingers..

Usually on the back of the hand in public... usually if she's wearing gloves this is more appropriate- it is endearing especially at historical events. I think it was started by people kissing the rings of royalty, but I'm not sure...

And I'd go without a comment on how well someone smelled unless you were closer. If a guy kissed my cheeks then told me how well I smelled I'd think him an increadible flirt and too intent on intimacy to continue an aquaintance... but then again, it all depends on how it is done- in a shy sort of way, after pulling back, it would be sweet, but right in the ear after the kiss- creeepy.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
"Oh my gosh, your hair smells like Form-a-Gasket!"

lol
lol ...oh stop it...you're making me blush:eek: lol
I think a guy complimenting me on how good I smell would be taken as a compliment, but I agree with Lauren, it also depends on how it is said. Ex: compliment of nice smell followed along with heavy panting...would NOT go over well with us ladies :p

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Hemingway Jones said:
I follow the woman's lead, whether she offers a cheek or a hand. I view it as an expression of friendship.

I suppose one could step back and offer a hand instead, but I wouldn't want to snub an offer of friendship.

I am reminded of the Seinfeld episode in which Jerry refuses to kiss anymore cheeks. He ends up alienating his entire building.;)

HA HA!! I love that episode- is that the one where they post all the resident's pictures in the lobby?

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
mysterygal said:
I would try saying something different about how the lady's hair smells. Cookies to me are ok, but thing of something that will really get her floating. Like, "OMG! your hair smells like wild orchids!"...much more complimentary. But I do wonder if saying the same thing to a guy would serve as a good compliment?!

I was kidding about the cookies thing. Sometimes I say random, off the wall things just to see what reaction I can get (tastefully done, mind you). Compliments and one-liners are so hugely overdone that I tend to say wacky things now and then just to silently say (I acknowledge your existence but I haven't a thing to say and one-liners are stupid).

By the way, most of the girls thought the cookies thing was hilarious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80