Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HELP (i'm just a baby when it comes to vintage)

nosferaturoams

Familiar Face
Hello, I joined this website last week because I loved everybody's hair styles and beauty tips.
You're all so BEAUTIFUL! :)
I've been interested in 40's/50's styling for quite some time now and have decided I'd love to start wearing vintage look-a-like (repro?) clothing. However, I'm at a loss at where to begin, there's just so much!
I've got the hair cut (modified middy) but I really wanna be able to compliment all of it with better clothing.
I'm a firm believer in self respect ;P and I've noticed to be a (Vintage) lady is to be very.... Graceful and you all seem to carry yourselves so well! It's enviable!
So yes, I'd be so grateful for any help on where to begin with at least the clothing :)
Thank you lovely ladies :)

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars
I'd start with adding a few items into your existing wardrobe, try some vintage styled shirts or skirts and mix them with modern stuff. Also, dresses are a great thing because there is no need to match.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Howdy nosferaturoams,

We got you and all other lurking newbies (hi all) covered in this area :)
Check out the sticky at the top of this forum, the FAQ one. There are some wardrobe essentials threads in there, one for every era, that give tons of outlines (and pictures!) on basics to have. Thats a great place to start.

In beauty, there is a 'classic style starter' sticky that gives a lot of info as well. Have a read through that one. While you are in beauty, take a gander at the 'books about the looks' thread. Lots of resources in there.

So grab a cup of java, curl up in your favorite chair with your computer and hunker down for some reading.

Have fun!
LD

nosferaturoams

Familiar Face
Howdy nosferaturoams,

We got you and all other lurking newbies (hi all) covered in this area :)
Check out the sticky at the top of this forum, the FAQ one. There are some wardrobe essentials threads in there, one for every era, that give tons of outlines (and pictures!) on basics to have. Thats a great place to start.

In beauty, there is a 'classic style starter' sticky that gives a lot of info as well. Have a read through that one. While you are in beauty, take a gander at the 'books about the looks' thread. Lots of resources in there.

So grab a cup of java, curl up in your favorite chair with your computer and hunker down for some reading.

Have fun!
LD

Thank you so much! This sounds like hours of fun actually ;)
I'm pretty excited to start, you're all so inspirational to go the full mile

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
In terms of building a wardrobe on a budget, I find vintage to be cheaper than contemporary clothing. My biggest tip for wearing and collecting vintage on a budget: don't be seduced by online sites like eBay and etsy! It can be tempting to blow your budget on sites with such wide selections, but if you actually take time to explore local antique stores and thrift shops, you'll be sure to get better deals. This could depend on your region, but generally rural, ungentrified areas will yield the best results. As a rule, I never spend over $20.00 on a vintage dress unless I need something formal or very specific (and I very regularly find beautiful, wearable Edwardian to 1950s clothes all within that budget).

Do you sew? That will help a lot! You can easily modify classic modern patterns and get cute fabric at the thrift store... voila!! Vintage repro on the cheap!

And as for achieving that grace we associate so much with ladies from the past... well, much of it comes from within, of course. Immerse yourself enough in period films, magazines, catalogues, etc. and eventually it will come very naturally to you.

nosferaturoams

Familiar Face
In terms of building a wardrobe on a budget, I find vintage to be cheaper than contemporary clothing. My biggest tip for wearing and collecting vintage on a budget: don't be seduced by online sites like eBay and etsy! It can be tempting to blow your budget on sites with such wide selections, but if you actually take time to explore local antique stores and thrift shops, you'll be sure to get better deals. This could depend on your region, but generally rural, ungentrified areas will yield the best results. As a rule, I never spend over $20.00 on a vintage dress unless I need something formal or very specific (and I very regularly find beautiful, wearable Edwardian to 1950s clothes all within that budget).

Do you sew? That will help a lot! You can easily modify classic modern patterns and get cute fabric at the thrift store... voila!! Vintage repro on the cheap!

And as for achieving that grace we associate so much with ladies from the past... well, much of it comes from within, of course. Immerse yourself enough in period films, magazines, catalogues, etc. and eventually it will come very naturally to you.

This was extra helpful! Mayybe I'll summon up the courage to show some of my finds someday :p thanks a lot :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran