Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help in dating Japanese pants

Shinobichi

Familiar Face
Hi ya.....I hope y'all can help me please! I have these pants that I need help dating and getting info on.

My hypothesis is that they are 1940's [or earlier?? ] Japanese because of the material, interior make , and the buttons.

The cuffs were not originally on the pants when I got them.

I would like some feedback from other more knowledgeable folk.

Here are some pics and other clues:

#1 The braces buttons and those on the fly, has the names ' OGINO' and 'HAKODATE' on it with a star symbol separating the two names.

'HAKODATE' was Japan's first city whose port was opened to foreign trade in 1854 as a result of Convention of Kanagawa, and used to be the most important port in northern Japan. Also, the city had been the biggest city in Hokkaido before the Great Hakodate Fire of 1934

and,

' OGINO' name : Japanese: meaning ‘reed plain’, of which Japan has many. This name is not common; it is found mostly in eastern Japan.

#2 The CLASPS for the pants has 'DEPONIRT ' and ' TRADE MARK ' with a 3 pointed crown symbol.

I understand that "Deponirt" is a German word used in the same way as the word "depose" in French or "eneret" in Danish. It is similar to our words "patent" or "registered design" and is sometimes abbreviated "dep."

Concerning antique porcelain dolls
" (abbreviated Depon. or Dep.) is a term that was used in Germany but actually originated in France. The various parts of what we commonly know as Germany each had their own laws for protecting manufacturer rights. In parts of Prussia (to the left of the river Rhine) for example, the according laws until 1840 were based on the older French laws from 1811. Hence deponirt had the same meaning as the French déposer, namely to deposit. If you know a little German and are wondering: deponirt is not the result of a typo, it is merely the older form of writing deponiert.
The term deponirt or an abbreviation thereof simply declared that the product was protected by law and that a respective claim of ownership of the design or trademark had been verified through the local authorities and archived there for further reference.
Imperial Germany took up until 1874 to officially introduce the so-called Reichsmarkengesetz, a law which united and simplified the various forms of registration used in different parts of Germany. Based on that law, the central imperial office for trademark registrations ⇒R.W.Z.R. was established in 1875; two years later, the different representatives also agreed on the Reichspatentgesetz which offered the same approach for patents, resulting in the founding of the Kaiserliches Patentamt for that cause.
All that said, never base a dating on the presence of a 'Dep.' addition alone. While this registration form became obsolete in Germany from 1875 onwards, it was still used elsewhere. On top of that, many manufacturers were reluctant to replace the well-known term with any other form of copyright notice as they feared that it would cause problems, some even continued to use the old marking until around 1890."~ PM&M [Resources / Vocabulary / deponirt]

My pants:

This is what others with vintage clothing online with the same DEPONIRT marking

#1 A seller on ebay has a pants listed as a true 1930's pants with the same markings as my pants. I have included his picture.

#2 Another person wrote about their vintage military pants,

"The clasp in the pants is marked DEPONIRT on one side{ which I understand is how some countries means registered} on the other side it is trade mark and a crown.", ~ U.S. Militaria Forum

I would appreciate all help in any info and dating!

PS Thanks to Sloan1874 , I read his old 2013 posting that helped me in posting my pics.

Thanks!

Shinobichi

Last edited:

Boinciel

New in Town
Definitely earlier than the 40s. I'm guessing early to mid-30s. The exact same style of pants made an appearance in the drama Junjo Kirari in some of the pre-war episodes. I don't have a good shot of the back of the pants, but it's a practically identical style of deep V terminating in a small belt loop with exterior brace buttons.

Junjo%20Kirari%20049.mp4_snapshot_04.49_%5B2014.07.06_13.45.34%5D.jpg

Last edited:

Shinobichi

Familiar Face
Definitely earlier than the 40s. I'm guessing early to mid-30s. The exact same style of pants made an appearance in the drama Junjo Kirari in some of the pre-war episodes. I don't have a good shot of the back of the pants, but it's a practically identical style of deep V terminating in a small belt loop with exterior brace buttons.

Thanks fellow Canuck!

My pants does seem earlier, the thickness of the material and the style. Also, I'm wondering if it's a more formal type of pants. Wedding, govt officials, etc. Not everyday type pants you know what I mean.

The Japanese movie looks interesting and I really appreciate you took the time to post the picture. I love Japanese film!

Pics from the movies set during the 1930's is suspect for me as I don't trust them. I would rather use pictures from movies of the same era as the clothing.

Example , a 1930's movie set during the 1930's or 20's because that era's fashion would've been worn normally during the same period as the movie setting.

I don't trust new movies portraying the 1930's UNLESS wardrobe dept. really did their research and they had a budget for costumes, but then that would be hard to find out if they did or not.

You'll have to KNOW every single piece of clothing!

I work in the film industry and people just throw wardrobe into the scene cause it 'looks' like it came from that era!

Hahaa..the Asian film industry is notorious for that ( I'm Asian so it's not a racist statement hahaha)

Check out Buster Keaton's " The Cops" and you'll see the crook who ripped off Keaton on the sidewalk wearing a nice checked DB suit with a nice 'center back vent'. This at least tells me that the suit the crook wore at least cannot be newer than the movie made in 1922.

I once watched several Chinese made war movies supposedly set in the late 1930's and the wardrobe all sucked!! It was clearly not 1930's clothing even to the greenest vintage clothing collector! Even the M35 German helmets used sucked!

Thanks for your input though!

Much appreciated it!

Shinobichi

Familiar Face
Hey bro...check out the really cool Japanese type gangster films "Dragnet Girl 非常線の女 Hijosen No Onna (1933)' and " Walk Cheerfully Hogaraka Ni Ayume (1930)" Really great films and really mouth watering 1930's fashion!

Shinobichi

Familiar Face

Thanks fellow Canuck!

My pants does seem earlier, the thickness of the material and the style. Also, I'm wondering if it's a more formal type of pants. Wedding, govt officials, etc. Not everyday type pants you know what I mean.

The Japanese movie looks interesting and I really appreciate you took the time to post the picture. I love Japanese film!

Pics from the movies set during the 1930's is suspect for me as I don't trust them. I would rather use pictures from movies of the same era as the clothing.

Example , a 1930's movie set during the 1930's or 20's because that era's fashion would've been worn normally during the same period as the movie setting.

I don't trust new movies portraying the 1930's UNLESS wardrobe dept. really did their research and they had a budget for costumes, but then that would be hard to find out if they did or not.

You'll have to KNOW every single piece of clothing!

I work in the film industry and people just throw wardrobe into the scene cause it 'looks' like it came from that era!

Hahaa..the Asian film industry is notorious for that ( I'm Asian so it's not a racist statement hahaha)

Check out Buster Keaton's " The Cops" and you'll see the crook who ripped off Keaton on the sidewalk wearing a nice checked DB suit with a nice 'center back vent'. This at least tells me that the suit the crook wore at least cannot be newer than the movie made in 1922.

I once watched several Chinese made war movies supposedly set in the late 1930's and the wardrobe all sucked!! It was clearly not 1930's clothing even to the greenest vintage clothing collector! Even the M35 German helmets used sucked!

Thanks for your input though!

Much appreciated it!

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would say earlier than 40s too. Not sure if they are formal morning dress trousers. Compare with the formal wear threads in the suits sub forum. The grey and black stripes existed in various forms but somehow I don't think they are one of these. Beltloops would be odd for formal wear. They wouldn't have cuffs either (if you want to use them for that purpose)

Shinobichi

Familiar Face
Hi Flat Foot Floey! Thanks for looking in....as I mentioned earlier, the cuffs weren't originally there when I first got it, that's what kinda made me suspect that they were some formal type pants.

The belt loops is an interesting point though concerning formal wear.

I know that in the Edwardian period catalogs they weren't too fond of cuffs...but I'm not certain if these pants would go that far back. I am interested though as the Japanese accepted Western clothing before the Chinese did. I can imagine some Japanese diplomat in Shanghai wearing these.

Shinobichi

Familiar Face
Hi it's an interesting study. Here are some pics before the 1920's. The informal pants were cuffed AND uncuffed. Formal as you all know were always uncuffed.

I got my pants uncuffed and it seems to me to be dead stock. The hems were neatly hemmed. The material is rather thick, something a diplomat would wear, unless generally most Edwardian pants of high/ regular quality were made like this.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
the trousers look late teens to early 20s to me, going by the waist lining, ankle width and fastenings.
however, it's possible they're later but made to an earlier style for an older gent.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Flat Foot Floey! Thanks for looking in....as I mentioned earlier, the cuffs weren't originally there when I first got it
Yes, I saw that. But I thought you would reconsider the cuffs when putting together a formal outfit.

However the french also did wear striped pants for workwear (mostly in cotton though) so this would be the opposite end of the formaility spectrum

Shinobichi

Familiar Face
Yes, I saw that. But I thought you would reconsider the cuffs when putting together a formal outfit.

However the french also did wear striped pants for workwear (mostly in cotton though) so this would be the opposite end of the formaility spectrum

Hahahaha....I actually DON'T want a formal outfit that's why I put in the cuffs..hahaha..

Do you think these are formal pants?

Thx bro!

Shinobichi

Familiar Face
SORRY I didn't know that if you deleted pics from PHOTOBUCKET it gets removed here too!

Hi ya.....I hope y'all can help me please! I have these pants that I need help dating and getting info on.

My hypothesis is that they are 1940's [or earlier?? ] Japanese because of the material, interior make , and the buttons.

The cuffs were not originally on the pants when I got them.

I would like some feedback from other more knowledgeable folk.

Here are some pics and other clues:

#1 The braces buttons and those on the fly, has the names ' OGINO' and 'HAKODATE' on it with a star symbol separating the two names.

'HAKODATE' was Japan's first city whose port was opened to foreign trade in 1854 as a result of Convention of Kanagawa, and used to be the most important port in northern Japan. Also, the city had been the biggest city in Hokkaido before the Great Hakodate Fire of 1934

and,

' OGINO' name : Japanese: meaning ‘reed plain’, of which Japan has many. This name is not common; it is found mostly in eastern Japan.

#2 The CLASPS for the pants has 'DEPONIRT ' and ' TRADE MARK ' with a 3 pointed crown symbol.

I understand that "Deponirt" is a German word used in the same way as the word "depose" in French or "eneret" in Danish. It is similar to our words "patent" or "registered design" and is sometimes abbreviated "dep."

Concerning antique porcelain dolls
" (abbreviated Depon. or Dep.) is a term that was used in Germany but actually originated in France. The various parts of what we commonly know as Germany each had their own laws for protecting manufacturer rights. In parts of Prussia (to the left of the river Rhine) for example, the according laws until 1840 were based on the older French laws from 1811. Hence deponirt had the same meaning as the French déposer, namely to deposit. If you know a little German and are wondering: deponirt is not the result of a typo, it is merely the older form of writing deponiert.
The term deponirt or an abbreviation thereof simply declared that the product was protected by law and that a respective claim of ownership of the design or trademark had been verified through the local authorities and archived there for further reference.
Imperial Germany took up until 1874 to officially introduce the so-called Reichsmarkengesetz, a law which united and simplified the various forms of registration used in different parts of Germany. Based on that law, the central imperial office for trademark registrations ⇒R.W.Z.R. was established in 1875; two years later, the different representatives also agreed on the Reichspatentgesetz which offered the same approach for patents, resulting in the founding of the Kaiserliches Patentamt for that cause.
All that said, never base a dating on the presence of a 'Dep.' addition alone. While this registration form became obsolete in Germany from 1875 onwards, it was still used elsewhere. On top of that, many manufacturers were reluctant to replace the well-known term with any other form of copyright notice as they feared that it would cause problems, some even continued to use the old marking until around 1890."~ PM&M [Resources / Vocabulary / deponirt]

My pants:

Shinobichi

Familiar Face
more pics:

This bottom picture belongs to a pants being sold on e bay as 1930's. Note the same clasps with DEPONIRT and the TRADE MARK with a crown:

Thanks all!

Last edited:

Shinobichi

Familiar Face
Yes..they're Japanese no doubt about that because of the buttons. I agree with HerringboneKid...the ankles are too narrow for the 30's.

The Japanese admired Western items immensely. One of the best things about the Japanese is their quality of items....especially clothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy