Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me accessorize this Outfit!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Hi gals! The Mr. and I are planning an anniversary trip to Eureka Springs, Arkansas next month. I want to dress vintage every day.
I need help with this outfit. I bought this sweater at an antique mall, what year do you think it's from? I'm thinking 50's because of the 3/4 length sleeves. But I've seen them listed on ebay with 20's and 30's. I just love the lining, and the stripes in the fur. It is cashmere.

So, I bought this reversable skirt to maybe go with. But I don't know what blouse. Do you think the paprika color is too bold for my accessories? It's a bit more rusty and lighter in real life.
I don't know what other blouse to wear, with this type of sweater! What about the cream vintage blouse? I like the paprika blouse because it doesn't have a collar, just a tie.
The skirt looks a bit greenish but it is not, it's brown.
2227036966_ff8698057c_b.jpg

2227030544_467cd131d9_b.jpg

2227026794_92398b84f1.jpg

I also plan to wear this,
2227111728_58600b1838_o.jpg

2226320119_f8b67c53d8_o.jpg

and this
2219593050_43abd3fcf6.jpg

(with jacket)
2227124922_682a5e5e33_o.jpg

and I'm not sure what else yet! I'm trying not to wear black.
What I'd love to take along for dinner but it's not finished is this! LOL!
620757361_220120db17_o.jpg

I have a naughty little Scarlett outfit all picked out to wear at "night" :D
Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
anabolina said:
Wow, you have some great things Ohairas.

Thank you! I should probably add that the paprika blouse and skirt are new from the Liz Claiborn outlet, about $3 each!
Tan shoes from Payless.
Nikki

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Le gasp!!!!! Any way you hack you're going to look stunning, and congratulations on your anniversary:) :eusa_clap

I personally prefer the paprika color with your outfit, but the cream is also nice, both will be very pretty, the paprika color makes it pop! Have fun:)

ShortClara

One Too Many
Miss Brill said:
Do you have a cami-type blouse to wear with the sweater? I'd wear something that didn't detract from the sweater, but mimicked the deep-V that of the collar.

This is just what I was thinking. And go for color - seems like a gorgeous blue would pop very well! Your sweater is 50s :)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Thanks girls!
A few more questions,
On the swirly outfit, there is a hole about the size of a BB on the shoulder. It's a very fine wrinkled crepe fabric...VERY thin. Should I try to stich it closed, or just put some fray check on it?

And on the lace top velvet dress, notice the buttons. I think the top one has a mirrored center and the rest have fallen out. Should I replace with mirrors, (I'm not to crazy about it..), replace with faux rhinestones, or replace the buttons all together?

Ok, so while I was looking for a vintage cami I had, which will not work btw, I remembered I had this gold wiggle dress. I didn't think it fit me tho.. but alas, I tried it on and it DOES! Woohoo! Not the best color for me but I'm going to wear it anyway. No makeup on here so red lips fix everything, right? :p
So what jewelry to wear with it? I don't have much 50's, 60's stuff. A necklace, large brooch?? I think I need a bullet bra too!!
2229028308_0f426b6c42.jpg

2229026562_88a34e7a4a.jpg

I have this choker type necklace with large deep amethyst stones, sorry, not the best pic as it's on my jewelry tree!
2229032656_f6e390ec8c.jpg

I'm going to look for a cami style blouse today!
Nikki

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fray check and...

ohairas said:
re is a hole about the size of a BB on the shoulder. It's a very fine wrinkled crepe fabric...VERY thin. Should I try to stich it closed, or just put some fray check on it?

Take a tiny snip of the fabric from the seam allowance inside, and snip it up with scissors until it is dust. Put a very small piece of iron-on fabric or interfacing on the back side if the hole and iron on. Mix the snipped up fabric with Fray Check and fill the hole, tamping it down to the same level as the fabric, let dry. I have done this on velvet, crepe and other fabrics and it works great! A good idea to test it on another snip of the fabric if possible.

ohairas said:
And on the lace top velvet dress, notice the buttons. I think the top one has a mirrored center and the rest have fallen out. Should I replace with mirrors, (I'm not to crazy about it..), replace with faux rhinestones, or replace the buttons all together?

I would replace them - then you can have whatever you like!

ohairas said:
Ok, so while I was looking for a vintage cami I had, which will not work btw, I remembered I had this gold wiggle dress. I didn't think it fit me tho.. but alas, I tried it on and it DOES! Woohoo! Not the best color for me but I'm going to wear it anyway. No makeup on here so red lips fix everything, right? :p

Paint covers everything! I think that color could be great on you, maybe a strong contrasting accessory will help? Emerald green bag and gloves or something?

ohairas said:
So what jewelry to wear with it? I don't have much 50's, 60's stuff. A necklace, large brooch?? I think I need a bullet bra too!!

I think a big flashy brooch, earrings and bracelet set would be awesome! The neckline with the jacket is a bit busy for a necklace. Check "parure" in Ebay for the ultimate 50s rhinestone sets... sometime quite reasonable. I love that dress!

Have a wonderful time! Look, I think I figured out how to insert with a quote, how cool...

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
Take a tiny snip of the fabric from the seam allowance inside, and snip it up with scissors until it is dust. Put a very small piece of iron-on fabric or interfacing on the back side if the hole and iron on. Mix the snipped up fabric with Fray Check and fill the hole, tamping it down to the same level as the fabric, let dry. I have done this on velvet, crepe and other fabrics and it works great! A good idea to test it on another snip of the fabric if possible.

Miss 1929, that is an excellent idea. I have never thought of doing it, but rest assured I will now.

Nikki, as for the buttons I would replace them too. If you could find a cami in that paprika I think that would work well. Love the red evening gown. In my humble opinion the gold frock need some colour to lift it.

P

Paul

Please help me with accessorizing a late 40's cocktail dress

50.jpg

This is the dress, It's a summer one I would imagine
I need help with finding the right style of head wear, shoes and a shawl or stole for it.
Any suggestion to point me in the right way would be great
Thanks for looking Paul

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
It's a pretty dress--I think it has sort of a 1920's vibe--I'd do a largeish picture hat with flowers that would compliment those at the waist of the dress, but I'll be interested to hear other ideas. I'm diggin' the gloves too!

P

Paul

The camera plays trick with the sade of the gloves which are 60's and pale pink in real life,I looking for some long ones.
Nice idea about the hat thank you .

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
If you play up the 20's feel, I would go with a t-strap shoe, something like these
1039.jpg

it's hard to tell the color of the dress, especially since you mention the gloves are pink. Would a gold shoe work? A ballroom dance shop might be your best bet for something like that. Or would a more neutral shoe be better? Hard to tell.

P

Paul

kamikat said:
If you play up the 20's feel, I would go with a t-strap shoe, something like these
1039.jpg

Those are nice shoes thanks you , I think that this dress was before the era of point shoes.
The shade of the dress is 95% correct, just the gloves that are not the photo was taken in very odd light with a flash. The dress is a pale shade of cream.

Joli7211

Familiar Face
What is the actual colour of the dress, if the gloves are pink and seem to be cream coloured...

Certainly a flowery hat, but what about short gloves rather than the long evening gloves? I'm not sure why, but I seem to be able to see this dress at an afternoon tea party.

P

Paul

The dress as the shade as the photo, it's lace so I not certain as you say if it is evening wear say 1948 -1950 with lace , the skirt is very full and may need a petty coat or crinoline

Afternoon = short lace gloves maybe?

ShortClara

One Too Many
I think a nice pop of Spring color would be really nice. Something period appropriate to the era you decide to go for I think . Pinks, blues, greens maybe? Otherwise, the color can wash a lady out! :)

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
I think the dress would look lovely with a crinoline. I also think playing it up with some more lively colours would liven it up. A nice lilac shade maybe? I'm thinking short gloves, and off course a hat. What if the hat was in a colour similar to the dress, with flowers in shades from lilac to pink? And lilac gloves, shoes and purse. That way it could also pick up the pink colours in of the flowers at the waist.

Lovely dress, btw. The shade is very nice with your hair colour.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Paul what a lovely dress, and it fits you beatifully.
I would go with a cream hat, with pink and green ribbons, maybe velvet or satin? I wouldn't add any more floral ornamentation as it would fight the pretty flowers on the frock.
Perhaps short gloves died the same shade of pink? Or just cream would be great too. Actually, mid-length gloves would be perfect, to the forarm..

Maybe some green leaf earrings if you can find the right ones~
Nikki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner