Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help need to finish/smooth a hat???

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
Hey guys/gals .... new to the Lounge but I already love it. I have gotten some great information here... you guys are great!!!!!

Here is my dilemma ... This hat was a gift from my Aunt about 20 years ago ... it seems to be good beaver felt (small fibers and it kind of smells like wet dog when you steam it) made by Clearwater hats (they are/were friends of my aunts and from what I have seen have recently had some success in making early period correct hats for Hollywood). This hat was originally a Mississippi riverboat or gambler style hat ... tall stovepipe crown with strait curled brim. This hat has made 3 moves with me and I have never really worn it a lot because the style didn't suit me.... I was cleaning out my closet and decided I needed to get rid of the thing or wear it ... so if I was going to wear it I figured it had to be a fedora ... so I re-blocked it myself with lots of time pictures from the Lounge and lots of steam!!! I also shortened the 3 inch brim to 2 7/8 and will probably shorten it some more ... the crown is a touch over 5 inches .... I really like this hat and it has shaped to my head perfectly and the sweat band is supper soft and confy .... So here are my questions ...

This thing is hairy as the period called for in kind of an unfinished felt (check out the pics you can see the hair fibers sticking out) ... How do I make it smooth???

This hat is also very very stiff ... the felt is about an 1/8" thick and supper warm on cold days ... will it soften with wear .... should I try to soften it up ... I really like the shape I have it in now so I hate to ruin it by softening it up to much ... it reminds me of a XXX+ stetson cowboy hat only twice as thick.

Thanks!!!!!!!

IMG_3530.jpg

IMG_3529.jpg

IMG_3533.jpg

IMG_3531.jpg

Lloyd

A-List Customer
Nice looking hat. You should post this in the Conversion Corral.

For the stiff felt wearing it and weather are probably your best bet for softening it up. When you steamed it to reshape it you probably reactivated whatever stiffener there is in the felt.

For the finish try brushing it always going counter clockwise and you can probably get the hairs in the felt to lay down.

Hope this helps

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Go for new

I recommend you leave this hat for what it is. Don't throw effort, time, and money into it. The felt is likely "cowboy" hat stiff. Great for riding a horse in rain like, on a cattle drive.

You can get a pristine new vintage looking hat from one or more of our esteemed custom hatters (VS hint hint).

This hat needs to be "pounced" which is "sanded". You can do it yourself, but be careful. Then you need to worry about the stiffener in the felt. Likely, and is often the case, cheaper felts (used in a lot of western bodies) rely on stiffener applied liberally to the felt to maintain shape.

I see from the pictures, the sweatband is not well stitched at the rear, and the sweat is attached to the body by a "loop" stitch, not machine.

All in all, wear it, for what it is.

I have a Stratton Trooper hat which I will give to the first person walking by when my garage door is openlol

That hat is the same...as you show. Stiff as a pizza box. But is was supposed to be so.

Welcome to the Lounge!

The best thing for softening it up is to wear it, nothing like regular use. As far as smoothing, I use fine & ultra fine sandpaper to further pounce most of my Akubra Campdrafts when I get them initially. Make sure you sand evenly over the entire hat starting with fine grit then ending with the ultra fine. Some folks like the fuzzier finishes but not me so much. HTH

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
Thanks RBH ... Fayetteville .... you???

Also thanks for the advise!!!! I love this place! ... and yes I am saving my pennies for a VS from Mr. Art!! Also got an eye out for something vintage if I can find what I am after at the right price ... I started wearing this one just to see if I was ok with wearing a fedora every day ... had to get use the Indy comments and such ;)! After about 3 months I got the Jaxon in my avatar and have a Panama from Mr. Bob on order for the summer.... needless to say my wife is not as suportive of my addiction so the VS will have to wait a while![huh]

gtdean48 - what grit paper should I start with ... my shop is stocked with everything from 150 - 1500 and everything inbetween! I was thinking 250 and move up till I got the look I wanted ... I know I shouldn't be spening this much time on it but unfortunatly I am a big DIY guy and want to see if I can do it! Can't sew though ... got to find sombody to tack that ribbon down!

Keith K.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have never used sand paper. What I used was my swiss army knife. Just give it a scrape making sure you give the hat an even once over. Its like pouncing a fuzzy Beret.

A for stiffness. Just wear it.

Johnny

Kkaderly said:
gtdean48 - what grit paper should I start with ... my shop is stocked with everything from 150 - 1500 and everything inbetween! I was thinking 250and move up till I got the look I wanted ...
Sounds good to me Keith. I have a packet from Ace Hardware that just says Fin e & Ultra Fine. I do have some 1500 but it is like rubbing printer paper over my hats....

Falcon Park

New in Town
Beautiful hat! For smoothing out the felt, based on what I see in the photos, I would recommend starting with 220 grit, then go to 320, 400, etc. without skipping grades until you get the finish you want. I find that going to 800 grit is plenty to get a nice, smooth, "vintage" finish. Also, the type of sandpaper you use is important; I highly recommend fre-cut, aluminum oxide sandpaper rather than the usual hardware store stuff such as the type found here:

http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/product/5096

This paper cuts faster, lasts longer and resists clogging-- something to be wary of when working with fur felt.

Enjoy!

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
Falcon Park said:
Beautiful hat! For smoothing out the felt, based on what I see in the photos, I would recommend starting with 220 grit, then go to 320, 400, etc. without skipping grades until you get the finish you want. I find that going to 800 grit is plenty to get a nice, smooth, "vintage" finish. Also, the type of sandpaper you use is important; I highly recommend fre-cut, aluminum oxide sandpaper rather than the usual hardware store stuff such as the type found here:

http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/product/5096

This paper cuts faster, lasts longer and resists clogging-- something to be wary of when working with fur felt.

Enjoy!

Thanks!!! Got plenty of the sand paper you mentioned around!! I make knives and find that same paper works well for high grade steels!!! Headed out to the shop now ... until my hand cramps from sanding!!!!!

Keith K.

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
johnnycanuck said:
Kkaderly you make knives? cooool what kind? Im a bit of a knife freak.

Johnny

YEA!! Unfortunately I am a bit of knife freak also .... glad to know there are others out there ... especially hat people!! I make fixed blade knives mainly kitchen and hunting knives but I am getting the folder bug so i am sure thats next .... grinding steal is a great stress reliever .... you should try it!!!

I know its the wrong type of site for it but what the heck I have attached a pic of a caping knife I made .... not master smith quality but hey not bad for a guy in his garage that pushes paper all day!

Picture097.jpg

Picture096.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn