Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help needed to identify vintage car

andy richards

Practically Family
Gents,

Recently I recieved a lot of pictures from my deceased grandmother.
On one of the pictures is my grandparents and a nepfew of them standing in front of a nice car.
Does anyone know what kind of car this is? The picture is taken just before of just after WWII.

Thanks,
Andy

OpaenomaHekstraenonb1954.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
That's gonna be tricky, since it's obviously a European make. But I have faith in my fellow Loungers! That little arrow logo on the side of the hood should help.

Rathdown

Practically Family
1938 Ford five-window coupe with a flathead V8 engine. In restored condition (today) it would have a value of about $25 - $30,000.

Last edited:

Rathdown

Practically Family
$41k is probably a bit high for a car which has been mildly hot rodded, but is likely less than that seller has invested in the car. The best buy in a golden age Ford (or car of any make for that matter) is one that has been restored to factory original condition (paint, engine, gauges, interior, engine, etc.) within the past 5-10 years and which is being sold due to the owner's lack of interest. The worst buy is probably the just restored car where the seller is trying to recover 100% of what he has invested in the car...

andy richards

Practically Family
Wow! Thanks for identifying this car, which helps a lot to puzzle the history of my grandparents.
I wish the car was still alive, but my guess is that the Germans repainted it in some green colour...
Cheers,
Andy

Rathdown

Practically Family
Judging from the photo I'd guess the car was originally maroon, black, Washington Blue, or dark green (sorry I can't recall the Ford name for their dark green). These were quite robust cars, and it's likely that the photo is post war; I'm too sure how many cars Ford shipped to the Netherlands in the immediate pre-war years. That said, my father had a '39 Ford phaeton (four door convertible) in Italy in 1944 and '45 and my uncle, who spent the entire war in Vienna, managed to keep his type 57 Bugatti out of the clutches of the government for the whole of the war (and the Russian "occupation" of his zone after the war).

These V8 Fords were great little cars, and highly sought after (in the US) by returning servicemen; I can well remember a 1940 Ford station wagon being kept at our summer place in the country until well into the 1960s. Were it me, I'd start combing the Hemmings Motor News website for one right now. You might also want to check out www.prewarcar.com . Look for original, not something that's been hot rodded, and you can enjoy a truly "Golden Age" car with connections to your "Golden Age" grandparents.

Last edited:

andy richards

Practically Family
Thanks for this information, Rathdown. I am so greatful that with help of FL-members the history-puzzelof my deceased grandparents is beginning more and more complete.
Thanks,
Andy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles